Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-11-2020, 07:16 AM   #26651
Vracula
Jedi Order

Mortal Kombat Legends : Scorpions Revenge 10/10

I have NEVER seen something so faithful to a franchise in my life. If you are an MK fan this will hit all the spots.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #26652
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post

The Incredible Hulk (2008) - Bruce Banner, a scientist on the run from the U.S. Government, must find a cure for the monster he turns into whenever he loses his temper.

This is another Marvel Studios film I hadn't seen since its theatrical release and I remembered it being somewhat mediocre. Rewatching the first 2/3, it was very good--with the subtle nods to the TV series among other things--and I considered that it maybe aged better than I thought, but then the big final fight scene started which reminded me why I rank this at the bottom of the franchise. However, I do like Edward Norton as Bruce Banner more than Mark Ruffalo. 6/10
The marketing of this movie was a disaster. They literally showed the best hulk scene in the movie to the general public before the release of the movie. I liked Norton’s CGI hulk better than Ruffalo.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #26653
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Haywire - 7.5/10

I really enjoy this spy thriller. Tight direction by Steven Soderbergh, amazing ensemble cast, fast paced and well choreographed fight scenes. Gina Carano isn’t going to win any acting awards but she exudes a stoic confidence that makes her perfect for this role. A great example of how to make a solid female led action film.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #26654
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Thor (2011) - The powerful but arrogant god Thor is cast out of Asgard to live amongst humans in Midgard (Earth), where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders.

For me this is where the Avengers movies get exciting and the tone set for all the films in the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe is clearly evident. And you'd never know from the way he's underused in his first appearance here that Tom Hiddleston becomes an MVP of the franchise. 7/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #26655
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970) - I really enjoyed this stylized murder mystery. It took a lot of unexpected turns and left me guessing throughout. The story was original, and the main actor did a really great job of portraying a man obsessed with discovering the truth no matter the cost (much to Argento's dismay, the lead got really into the role, even showing up at the directors house at 3AM several times to discuss the character, his dedication showed in his performance) The reveal at the end caught me by surprise, I definitely did not see it coming, and the film relaly leaves an impression on the viewer, it did with me at least - 9/10

The Cat O'Nine Tails (1971) - Im not too sure what to say about this one. I would say its the weakest from the 'animal trilogy', Argento himself stated it was not one of his favorite works. It had a good soundtrack, and a couple great Argento moments, but overall felt a bit restrained and straight forward, missing some of the directors trademarks that make his movies so interesting, also could have been cut down a bit on run time - 7/10

Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1972) - The camera angles and use of lighting in this movie were more in line with what Im used to seeing with Argento. The story didnt make a ton of sense, but that isn't usually Argento's strong point. The ending was a delightfully fiendish twist though, which was replicated in a famous horror series from the 80's. Argento really was ahead of his time with this movie, and I'll give this director credit, I dont think there is any subject matter he wont touch, especially with this movie being released in the early 70's - 8/10

The Haunting (1999) - I haven't seen this one since it came out over 20 years ago. The CGI has not aged well...at all...but the sets and filming locations were breath taking, it was worth it just for the visuals which I found very intriguing. The story was a bit of a mess, and relied too heavily on CGI scares with little build up, but the cast (including liam neeson and catherine zeta jones) were fun to watch. Lots of interesting ideas, but some poor execution weighed it down - 8/10

Sleepwalkers (1992) - Alright....stay with me here...this movie is about an incestuous mother/son who are actually from a near extinct tribe of shape shifting nomadic feline creatures...that need to steal the life force of teenage female virgins to stay alive, and live in intense fear of house cats, as house cats have the ability to kill them! Sound like something from Stephen King? well it was! Silly as it sounds, there was a lot to enjoy in this movie (including Alice Krige as the mom, who is better known in her role as the Borg Queen in Star Trek: First Contact) It kept me interested throughout, had some nice gore effects, and kept a solid pace, also probably one of the best lines I've ever heard in a horror movie "You're right, people really should learn to keep their hands to themselves, here's yours!" - 8/10

Leon (The Professional) (1994) - This movie was amazing, can't believe I never heard of it until recently. This was Natalie Portman's first acting role at the age of 11, and she was phenomenal as the smoking, swearing, revenge fuelled Mathilda. Say what you will about Natalie but when shes passionate about the source material this girl can act, and that much was clear in this movie. Also stars the absolute bad-ass Jean Reno as the "cleaner" aka hitman Leon Montana, and he was just perfect in the role, every scene he was in seemed effortless and just flowed so well. Also stars a very convincing Gary Oldman as a villainous corrupt drug addicted DEA agent in one of his funnest rolls IMO. The blu-ray has the US release and the international release, I watched the uncut version. They cut out about 20 minutes from the US release, as test screenings were uncomfortable with much of the sexual innuendo that takes place between Leon and the young Mathilda, although nothing physical happens between them. Overall the best thing about this movie for me was the original story, and the amazing performances - 10/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #26656
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
I liked Norton’s CGI hulk better than Ruffalo.
I thought I was the only one. Both actors are nutballs IMO but Norton’s Hulk is the better Hulk.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #26657
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War 7/10
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #26658
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Great reviews Quicksilver.

Leon is indeed a great film. One of the things people seem to misinterpret with the supposed “sexual innuendo” between the two central characters is the reason for their connection. Leon lacks maturity outside of his profession and Mathilda’s domestic situation forced her to grow up way too fast putting them on similar levels both mentally and emotionally. Despite their relationship not working on a physical level that connection is enough for them to fall in love. It’s all rather innocent when if you’re able to see Leon for what he really is.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #26659
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Haywire - 7.5/10

I really enjoy this spy thriller. Tight direction by Steven Soderbergh, amazing ensemble cast, fast paced and well choreographed fight scenes. Gina Carano isn’t going to win any acting awards but she exudes a stoic confidence that makes her perfect for this role. A great example of how to make a solid female led action film.

Maybe The Mandalorian season 2 will increase her popularity some more and we’ll get a Haywire 2? Lord knows we’ve seen sequels made for much worse movies.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #26660
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Maybe The Mandalorian season 2 will increase her popularity some more and we’ll get a Haywire 2? Lord knows we’ve seen sequels made for much worse movies.
True. I’d be surprised if it ever happened though, she really isn’t a strong enough actress to carry a film IMO. I’d definitely watch a sequel but I think it would need an equally strong ensemble cast to work. That said this film does work fine as a one off.