Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-14-2020, 01:03 AM   #26661
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Brightburn - 4.5/10

This film didn’t really work for me on a lot of levels. I applaud the attempt to mash the horror and superhero genres together but it doesn’t offer much originality beyond it’s base premise. With Superman and The Omen cliches abound it ultimately ends up being a bit boring due to it’s predictability.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #26662
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Great reviews Quicksilver.

Leon is indeed a great film. One of the things people seem to misinterpret with the supposed “sexual innuendo” between the two central characters is the reason for their connection. Leon lacks maturity outside of his profession and Mathilda’s domestic situation forced her to grow up way too fast putting them on similar levels both mentally and emotionally. Despite their relationship not working on a physical level that connection is enough for them to fall in love. It’s all rather innocent when if you’re able to see Leon for what he really is.
that is a great point, and makes total sense. I think maybe it was hard for the general audience (apparently the USA general audience mostly) to see that side of Leon as they probably just focused on the fact that he kills people lol people in Europe were more receptive to that side (im assuming at least, their version didn't get censored)
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #26663
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Barry Lyndon (1975) - An Irish rogue wins the heart of a rich widow and assumes her dead husband's aristocratic position in 18th-century England.

This is Kubrick's most sumptuous film--outstanding cinematography and locations. And the wigs get a perfect score. 9/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:01 AM   #26664
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Wind River - 7.5/10

This solid crime thriller sure flew under the radar. I really enjoyed the characters, setting and cinematography here. Strong cast and engaging narrative set upon a beautiful but deadly backdrop. Terrific performances. Check this one out.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:25 AM   #26665
risingstar
Jedi Order

The Assistant 5/10

I get what the writer was trying to say, which was valid, but too little happened here.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #26666
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Great reviews Quicksilver.

Leon is indeed a great film. One of the things people seem to misinterpret with the supposed “sexual innuendo” between the two central characters is the reason for their connection. Leon lacks maturity outside of his profession and Mathilda’s domestic situation forced her to grow up way too fast putting them on similar levels both mentally and emotionally. Despite their relationship not working on a physical level that connection is enough for them to fall in love. It’s all rather innocent when if you’re able to see Leon for what he really is.
Agree with you both, Leon The Professional is a staggeringly good film.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:13 PM   #26667
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Extraction, 3/10 at best.

I was surprised, based on its good press, by how much I disliked this film. It’s shockingly derivative, combining the depressed and self loathing character of Martin Riggs from Lethal Weapon with the non-stop and overly choreographed violence of John Wick. Pretty much a waste of time unless you're looking for 2 hours of straight action and violence with very little story to support it and keep it interesting.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #26668
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Extraction, 3/10 at best.

I was surprised, based on its good press, by how much I disliked this film. It’s shockingly derivative, combining the depressed and self loathing character of Martin Riggs from Lethal Weapon with the non-stop and overly choreographed violence of John Wick. Pretty much a waste of time unless you're looking for 2 hours of straight action and violence with very little story to support it and keep it interesting.
Which is why all the John Wick movies are so popular.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #26669
statman
Baron Zemo

Predator - 8/10
the movie still holds up today despite some very dated special effects. Plus Arnie at the height of being Arnie. Get to tha choppa!

Boomerang - 7.5/10
I probably hadn't seen this in 20 years, and I still find it pretty funny.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #26670
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Color Out of Space - 5/10

Bizarre, creepy, uneven film. Beyond Lovecraft’s concept and a colorful cool style there isn’t much substance here unfortunately. Cage delivers another over the top performance for better or for worse. Felt like a Twilight Zone episode stretched to feature film length.