Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 02-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #11
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

You guys forget DLC's. EA, Ubisoft, Infinity Ward, Capcom, etc make a nice chunk there as well. I haven't paided full price in ages. Gamefly...15$ a month.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #12
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Cost of gaming actually has gone up. Yes, the price has pretty well remained the same but you get less for what you buy now. When you buy your game what do you get? The case and disk, that is all. In the past, you will get a manual and sometimes some inserts. Sometimes, there are posters and maps. The manual could be half as thick as the case. Sometimes you get slipcases, now pfft, you get nothing. And yes, I always enjoyed having those things. Now, you have to buy the limited collectors edition which would be $140 (in Canada). So, yeah, cost has gone up.
The pricing for gaming hasn't gone up. That just isn't true at all. In fact, for the smart shoppers out there its actually gone down by a pretty significant margin and as I stated before, games now go on sale much faster than they ever have before and are being discounted by MUCH larger margins than they ever have before. This is especially true on the PC side of gaming especially when you factor in things like bundles and sites like Steam and GOG which have large sales on a prety much monthly basis. As for console games, it only costs $30 every 2 years with Best Buy and you can get an additional 20% off on all game purchases, even brand new releases and games on sale. That's just $15 bucks a year and it takes 20% off all game purchases, again even games that are on sale. Even Amazon just added 20% off on new game purchases if your an Amazon Prime member with no additional rise in cost for the service. So anyone these days who is spending more than $48 for brand new console games just isnt using thier head at all. I saved over $200 with Best Buy's gaming club in the first year alone.

Then you have services like EA Access popping up. For just $30 a year you have access to an ever growing number of retail games plus 10 hours of demo time with each new game a full week before it releases to the public and an additional 10% off all EA purchases. And now XBox is coming out with thier own game pass, which is going to give people access to hundreds of retail game titles, from lots of different companies for roughly $100 a year. Plus you have Games with Gold and Playstation Plus, both of which give you roughly $600-$800 a year in games for just $60 bucks a year ($40 if your a smart shopper). Gaming has done nothing but gotten cheaper and cheaper with each year that passes, and that is true simply due to inflation alone. Once you add in all of the other stuff I just listed like game bundles, Best Buy's Gamer program, Amazon Prime's additinal 20% off, EA Access, Xbox's new Game pass, Game with Gold, Playstation Plus, etc.....well, again, gaming has not only gotten cheaper and cheaper with each passing year, its gotten ridiculously cheaper and cheaper with each passing year. Suggesting that the price of gaminig has gone up is honestly one of the most inaccurate statements a person can make regarding the gaming industry.

As for suggesting your getting less than you used too, that isn't even remotely true. In fact, its just the opposite. First off, before the Xbox 360/PS3 generation, the vast majority of games didn't even come with a multi-player option and the ones that did only had split screen and the options were severly limited. Now having a multi-player component on top of a single player component has become standard in the indutsry. Only a small handful of single player games come out each year that don't have a multi-player option. That in itself has SIGNIFICANTLY increased the amount of game and game time your getting for your money. Then you have RPG's and open world games like Elder Scrolls, GTA, and Fallout. Each generation, the size of those games DWARF anything and everything that has ever come before them. I know people who have put o ver 500 hours into games like Skyrim. On average, were getting FAR more gaming for our money than we ever have before. Even some of the digital only tiles available today that cost 50% of a full retail game are bigger and longer than many of the full retail games just from last generation.

The average time it takes to complete a game has actually gone up with each successive generation, not gone down. And once you factor in the multi-player component that has now become standard in the industry, people are getting FAR more game for their money then they ever did before. And that doesnt even include all of the free to play games that are now on the market. Just to name a few for Xbox you have World of Tanks, Star Trek, APB Reloaded, Battle Island, Airmech Arena, Adventure Pop, Batttle Island Commanders, DC Universe Online, Gigantic, Happy Dungeons, Happy Wars, Neverwinter, Smite, Warframe Roblox, Onigiri, Lies of Aseroth, Magic Duels, etc. And Playstation has just as many and PC has like 10 times as many as consoles. And while you can spend money on those games, people are capable of playing them for free if they want too. It just takes a lot more work to advance in them if you don't spend money.

And those physical extras your talking about that some games games used to come with cost next to nothing to make when mass produced so to suggest that companies are making significantly more money by excuding those types of things from regular retail games these days just isnt true at all. The money they are saving by not producing those types of things doesnt even come close to the kind of money your talking about when you talk about the level of inflation that has occured since the early 80's or the 50-100 fold increase we have seen in the cost of game production. And game companies are still making those kinds of extra's. In fact, they are making them more than ever. Thier just including them in the special edition's and not in the normal retail editions. And most of those special editions can be purchased for signifcant discounts just a few months after release. I just purchsed the Recore Special edition for $50 (acyually $28 with a couple of trade ins), which included a pretty big statue that was actually really nice and I paid $10 less than the cost of just the retail game at launch.

All of these things that have been brought up, like the physical extras companies used to include in games or the switch from cartridge to CD/DVD are just completely irrelvant when compared to the level of inflation we have seen since 1980 and the MASSIVE increase in cost we have seen with game prouction over the last 30+ years. In fact, they don't even begin to touch the amount of money your taking about with just one of those subject's, let alone both. And of course, this entire topic largely depends on the person buying the games and wether or not they actively search for deals on games and take advanatage of all of the options these days that can save people money on games or are perfectly fine just paying full price and calling it a day. Again, anyone spending more than $48 for console games at lauch (in regards to regular retail copies) is just not a smart shopper at all as it is incredibly easy buying retail games for at least 20% off at lauch. It only takes 3 game purchases over a 3 year period to make up that $30 membership fee plus save an additional $6 on top of it. If your not buying more than 3 games every 2 years, you really have no businesss even buying a console to begin with.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
Y3E
Gen 13

OC, are you talking about digital downloads when you talk about these discounts? I don't buy digital because it is a rip off. I want the packaging, the art and the game disk. Not a bunch of 0 and 1s stored on a harddrive.

If I downloaded games, you will have to factor in cost to download and what if you have a cap on your bandwidth? Do you factor the cost that you pay extra for going over? What if your download speeds are slow, do you upgrade your internet package? That cost money.

Then there is harddrive space. I have the sh!tty 500 gb harddrive for my PS4 and I have to delete game data all the time because I keep running out of space. Sure some of the data are games that I don't play as much but I still like to keep them incase I want to play them again. If I do digital, now I have to upgrade the harddrive and that cost more money. Do we factor that cost? If I delete the digital game I will have to download it again.

If you not talking about digital then I don't know what you are talking about. Last I heard of Best Buy deals, you buy 3 or more you get 20-30% discount off regular price. Pffffttt. That is nothing. Amazon Prime, don't have it and don't plan to either and never seen advertised discounts with Prime.

And you know what, as a consumer I only look at what it cost me for a game. I don't care what it cost a studio to make it. I have been buying games since Atari (about $20 - 40/game) and prices have gone up. Never mind what that cost would equate to now because back then $20 is still $20. Now, games are $80 brand new, so yes prices have gone up.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #14
damienjakk
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I get the convenience of digital, but I'll never adopt the practice unless I'm forced to. There are going to be lots of games, add-ons, etc. that in time will become lost relics simply because there is no physical version of them.

It may take time, but at some point licenses expire, servers go down, and so forth. I know that today's average gamer has the flavor of the month type mentality, so things like HDD space, trade in, etc. aren't really an issue for them as they simply move on from one game to the next and will usually not revisit them.

Sorry for going off topic, but whenever the topic of digital content comes up I can't help myself.
damienjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #15
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
OC, are you talking about digital downloads when you talk about these discounts? I don't buy digital because it is a rip off. I want the packaging, the art and the game disk. Not a bunch of 0 and 1s stored on a harddrive.

If I downloaded games, you will have to factor in cost to download and what if you have a cap on your bandwidth? Do you factor the cost that you pay extra for going over? What if your download speeds are slow, do you upgrade your internet package? That cost money.

Then there is harddrive space. I have the sh!tty 500 gb harddrive for my PS4 and I have to delete game data all the time because I keep running out of space. Sure some of the data are games that I don't play as much but I still like to keep them incase I want to play them again. If I do digital, now I have to upgrade the harddrive and that cost more money. Do we factor that cost? If I delete the digital game I will have to download it again.

If you not talking about digital then I don't know what you are talking about. Last I heard of Best Buy deals, you buy 3 or more you get 20-30% discount off regular price. Pffffttt. That is nothing. Amazon Prime, don't have it and don't plan to either and never seen advertised discounts with Prime.

And you know what, as a consumer I only look at what it cost me for a game. I don't care what it cost a studio to make it. I have been buying games since Atari (about $20 - 40/game) and prices have gone up. Never mind what that cost would equate to now because back then $20 is still $20. Now, games are $80 brand new, so yes prices have gone up.
No, I am not talking abut digital downloads when talking about these discounts, at least not with the console side of the industry. I am talking about buying physical games from actual stores. I feel the same way about digital downloads on consoles and so do the vast majority of console gamers as they are used to buying physical games and that is why physical purchases dwarf digital purchases on the console side of gaming. The services like EA Access and the Xbox game service that is coming to market will be digital download, but with those services your not buying individual games. Your buying access to an ever increasing digial library that you will have access to at any time. And PC gaming is a different matter entirely as sites like Steam and GOG dominate over physical purchases, but games are also FAR cheaper on the PC side than the console side. I own over 3300 games on STeam and over 400 on GOG and I am averging 1/3 the cost of what I am spending on console games and my average for console games is less than $30.

When I talk about how much cheaper gaming has gotten over the years, I am talking about both PC and consoles but it is undeniable that the cost has decreased significantly more on the PC side than the console side, especially once you factor in bundles, which have continued to get more and more popular over the last couple of years.. Were just now starting too see bundles on consoles but the bundles we have seen on consoles are still nowhere close to the PC side, both in regards to cost and how many games you actually get in the bundles. Bundles on PC are SIGNIFICNTLY cheaper, contain about 300% more games on average, and there are FAR FAR more of them. On any given week you can find 10+ new gaming bundles on the PC side of gaming as you now have Indiegala, Humble Bundle, Bundle Stars, Groupees, etc. Your lucky if you see 1 or 2 bundles offered on the console side every other month and the savings are nowhere close to what you see with PC bundles.

I subscribe to Humble Bundle monthly and the cost is around just $10 a month. Its one of the best deals in all of gaming right now as they only include games that have relatively high ratings, you get like 7-8 games, and its only $10 a month. Last month I got XCom2, Ryse: Son of Rome, ABZU, Steamworld Heist, Okhlos, Project Highrise, and Husk. The cost of XCom 2 alone is around $39.99 right now and I got that entire bundle for just $10. ABZU is actually one of the games on sale this week for Xbox and its sale price is $16.99. I got that entire Humble bundle which include ABZU and XCOm 2 and I only paid arond $10. Humble Bundle is EASILY one of the best deals in gaming right now and that is just one of the MANY ways people can save significant amounts of money, both on the PC side and the console side. It doesnt matter if your talking about buying physical games or buying games digitally. Both allow you to get games these days for significnatly less money than ever before.

Again, gaming has done nothing but gotten cheaper and cheaper with each passing year just based on inflation alone. Even the people that are ignoring all of these different ways to save significant amounts of money on games (like game bundles, Best Buy's gamer club, etc) and are are paying full price for all of their games ($59.99) are still paying SIGNIFICANTLY less than people were spending in previos generations as once again our money is literaly worth 2-3% less each year on average just due to inflation alone. So it really doesnt matter if people take advanatage of all the amazing deals that can be found when it comes to buying games or not. The ones that don't take advantage aren't very smart when it comes to spending money, but even those people are still spending significantly less than they ever have before when it comes to buying games. Of course, the people that do take advantage of all of the different ways one can save money on gaming are saving even more money than the ones that don't, but both groups are paying less each year than they ever have before. The people that are smart and take advantage of all of the different ways to save money on games are just saving a lot more each year than the one's that don't.

Games have been roughly $49.99 to $59.99 dating all the way back to the first generation of games. The reason Atari 2600 games became so cheap at one point was because they flooded the market with crappy low production cost games like ET, which actually led to the crash of the entire gaming market. All of the other games from all of the other generations were priced at $49.99-59.99. Again, many N64 games were actually more than $59.99. I clearly remember purchasing many N64 games for 69.99 and higher. Just download the old Sierra and Lucasarts catalogs from the internet and look at the price of thier games back in the early 80's. Yep, they were $59.99, the same exact price were paying today. So no, the price of gaming hasn't gone up. Its basically stayed exactly the same even in light of inflation and the fact that games became significnatly more expensive to make with each passing generation.

As I said before, try and find a single product other than video games that hasn't had its price at least double or triple since the early 80's due to inflation. I have looked many times and I havent been able to find one. Again movie tickets are roughly 4 times the cost they were in 1980. Books are roughly 3 times the price they were in 1980. Homes and cars are like 6 times as expensive as they were in 1980. Food, furniture, clothing, all of them are at least 3-6 times as expensive as they were in 1980. Comics, magazines, cards like baseball cards and wacky packages, and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on. All of them are significantly more expensive today than they were in the early 80's and that is because every consumer product industry the entire world over slowly increases thier pricing due to inflation......except video games. The pricing of video games has remained stagnant for over 3 decades now even tho the cost of producing the games has increased 50-100 fold and the fact that our money is now worth about 1/3 what it was back in 1980.

Even if what your saying was true (which its not), that games back during the early years were only around $30-$40, once you factor in inflation over the last 35+ years the $59.99 price of games today would not be an increase in price at all as the difference between $30-$40 back in the early 80s and $59.99 today doesnt even make up for the difference we have seen in inflation alone. $30 in 1980 is equal to $88.41 today and $40 back in 1980 is equal to $117.88 today. So with $59.99 game pricing in 2017, people are still paying significnatly less than they were in previous generations even if what your saying regarding early pricing was true and again that's with people paying 100% full MSRP today and its EXTREMELY easy for gamers today to get at least 20% off the MSRP of games today. Either your failing to understand just what inflation is or math just isn't your strong suit, no offence intended. You can't look at prices 30 years ago and then look at prices today and suggest prices are higher today simply because the numbers are higher. Without factoring in inflation during the years in which your comparing, your comparison on pricing will be completely meaningless.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #16
qz33
Rescue

My family paid $72.00 for Mortal Kombat in 1993
My family paid $82.00 for MK2 at K-Mart back in in September 1994. Just a year apart and basically 5-7 new characters and some stages.

I paid $88 (on sale from $100) for Street Fighter V's Collectors' Edition with book and statue in February 2016.
I paid an extra $20 for 6 new characters and stages last night.

These prices all include any taxes.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #17
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
....As I said before, try and find a single product other than video games that hasn't had its price at least double or triple since the early 80's due to inflation. I have looked many times and I havent been able to find one. Again movie tickets are roughly 4 times the cost they were in 1980. Books are roughly 3 times the price they were in 1980. Homes and cars are like 6 times as expensive as they were in 1980. Food, furniture, clothing, all of them are at least 3-6 times as expensive as they were in 1980. Comics, magazines, cards like baseball cards and wacky packages, and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on. All of them are significantly more expensive today than they were in the early 80's and that is because every consumer product industry the entire world over slowly increases thier pricing due to inflation......except video games. The pricing of video games has remained stagnant for over 3 decades now even tho the cost of producing the games has increased 50-100 fold and the fact that our money is now worth about 1/3 what it was back in 1980.

Even if what your saying was true (which its not), that games back during the early years were only around $30-$40, once you factor in inflation over the last 35+ years the $59.99 price of games today would not be an increase in price at all as the difference between $30-$40 back in the early 80s and $59.99 today doesnt even make up for the difference we have seen in inflation alone. $30 in 1980 is equal to $88.41 today and $40 back in 1980 is equal to $117.88 today. So with $59.99 game pricing in 2017, people are still paying significnatly less than they were in previous generations even if what your saying regarding early pricing was true and again that's with people paying 100% full MSRP today and its EXTREMELY easy for gamers today to get at least 20% off the MSRP of games today. Either your failing to understand just what inflation is or math just isn't your strong suit, no offence intended. You can't look at prices 30 years ago and then look at prices today and suggest prices are higher today simply because the numbers are higher. Without factoring in inflation during the years in which your comparing, your comparison on pricing will be completely meaningless.
OK, not trying to beat a dead horse but my using the $20 analogy has nothing to do with inflation rate, which I do understand. Let me put it this way. In 1988, I didn't look at the price of an item and thought this $20 product will cost more in 10 years due to inflation, so I better buy it now. $20 back then, at that moment in time when I was buying the item at $20 was still $20 to me. Just like present day, I buy something for $20, it's still $20 of my money.

Now back to why games have not increased same as other products? I agree the pricing should be higher based on inflation rate, but like I said in my first post, no one would buy video games if it matched the inflation rate. Heck, many people are not buying them now at $79 cdn.

Oh and PC gaming, I think you know why they have to be cheap. Gamers either get it cheap or they get it free.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote