Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 04-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #291
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
All of the lines from the render, with the exception of the eyes, are there though; the paint is just flat and isn't showing them well.
Well, yeah, it's obvious they're there, but clearly softened out, is what I'm saying. It's like they (XM) are afraid to make her (and other females) seem older or something. Hence the resulting flatness.

(Again, I think this is one of their best female portraits).
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #292
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I love the portrait of her listening to her music. If I get this statue, it would be between that portrait and the masked one I would switch out.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #293
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I love the portrait of her listening to her music. If I get this statue, it would be between that portrait and the masked one I would switch out.
The masked one is missing the pinkish airbrush effect the eyes have in the comics. Not essential, but it was part of the costume's unique appeal for me.

jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #294
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Well, yeah, it's obvious they're there, but clearly softened out, is what I'm saying. It's like they (XM) are afraid to make her (and other females) seem older or something. Hence the resulting flatness.

(Again, I think this is one of their best female portraits).
Yeah it is a hard balance with the ladies. The general rule of thumb for the ladies when penciling is that every line you add adds 5-10 years. I assume the same would happen here.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:18 AM   #295
silentwinter92
U talkin' to me?

The present sculpt seems to be more aligned with gwen from the comics, whereas the 3d render might be drawing additional references from when emma stone and bryce dallas howards played gwen. I can almost picture the render spotting red hair and freckles, bryce would probably the better compromise as she strikes a more mature presence. There is so much more potential for the concept to take flight.

Then again, this is also the first time xm has tried to sculpt a face devoid of asian references.
silentwinter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #296
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwinter92 View Post
The present sculpt seems to be more aligned with gwen from the comics, whereas the 3d render might be drawing additional references from when emma stone and bryce dallas howards played gwen. I can almost picture the render spotting red hair and freckles, bryce would probably the better compromise as she strikes a more mature presence. There is so much more potential for the concept to take flight.

Then again, this is also the first time xm has tried to sculpt a face devoid of asian references.
Absolutely 100% incorrect. I can bring up many examples without an asian reference (Medusa, She-Hulk, Gwen, Phoenix, Storm, Black Panther, Vulture, Thanos, Thor, Batman, hell just about all their portraits....Black Bolt, Sandman, Mysterio, Punisher, Cable, etc).
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:21 PM   #297
aaronica
The Avengers

I am more worried abt the seam lines on her hands, somehow the costume just made the seam lines unavoidable, can the body be cast in 1 single piece?
aaronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:13 AM   #298
silentwinter92
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Absolutely 100% incorrect. I can bring up many examples without an asian reference (Medusa, She-Hulk, Gwen, Phoenix, Storm, Black Panther, Vulture, Thanos, Thor, Batman, hell just about all their portraits....Black Bolt, Sandman, Mysterio, Punisher, Cable, etc).
Sorry i meant female faces. And yes medusa does look asian to me, she-hulk is interesting; storm hasnt made it to print yet. Phoneix and black widow do have asian references.
silentwinter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #299
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Sorry i meant female faces. And yes medusa does look asian to me, she-hulk is interesting; storm hasnt made it to print yet. Phoneix and black widow do have asian references.
Medusa looks like Gillian Anderson...she looks nothing like an Asian lady.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #300
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Right there with you, Silent. A lot of the ladies have an Asian feel when they have no history of it. Ironically, they almost made Psylocke look non-Asian

Don't forget that Withchblade's hair down portrait also looks Asian. Black Widow is a damn shame because I love everything about that piece except the two portraits.

IMO, Storm is the first female proto I have seen that has no Asian vibe.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote