Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 02-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
COI

Is this how Hot Toys routinely operates?

So I just started getting into Hot Toys; bought 4 figures in the last couple of months, and I like them.

One of those figures was the BvS Batman. Now HT just announces the Suicide Squad version which is the exact same figure with all of the same accessories, except this new version also has two new accessories and a much better cape that you can actually pose. And they made that version limited.

Essentially, they made it so that there's no reason to ever seek out the version I have in the future. Is this normal for them? Do they routinely punish people for pre-ordering and early adoption? I was looking on other boards, and not many HT collectors seem bothered by this much, so I'm wondering how common this is. They make a great product, but they've given me a reason never to pre-order or pay more than retail if this is a common occurrence.

Last edited by COI; 02-12-2017 at 03:24 PM.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Bustajesse
Doh!

It's common for them to revisit certain characters/costumes from time to time. The Suicide Squad Batman was announced way back at SDCC before BVS Batman was released. I am pretty sure there was a lower production run on BVS Batman because they knew this was coming.

Sucks about the cape, but it is what it is.
Bustajesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
XMAN
Ultron

Yes it's common for them.....I personally don't care for the way they operate and is one of the reasons I will not purchase another Hot toy item again.
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

It's only an issue for those that have to have every thing they produce, or every version of a certain character. Otherwise just get one you like and be happy.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Hot Toys always makes tons of the popular characters. Iron Man, Batman, Avengers, etc. The only rare and expensive one that I wish I had is their Blade figure. And the newer versions are better. Just look at the diecast Iron Man figures they are releasing.

Honestly, I didn't get this Batman, not just because I wasn't fond of Batman vs Superman, and I haven't since Suicide Squad yet. But because I knew they would make many versions just like with the Bale Batman. And in the end I know there will be a 1/4 Affleck Batman probably with an unmasked sculpt since we did see him without the mask in Batman vs Superman.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
It's only an issue for those that have to have every thing they produce, or every version of a certain character. Otherwise just get one you like and be happy.
My only issue is, if this is something they do on a regular basis, I'm going to wait these figures out and not get them when they first drop. I knew there would be other Affleck Batman figures and this version specifically, but I didn't expect that they'd release one so soon that's essentially similar in every way except you get more. I thought maybe he'd have fewer accessories or different accessories entirely, but it's the exact package I have just with 2 extra items and a better cape. That would be like Sideshow putting out a PF, then putting out the exact same PF a few months later with an extra switch out part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post

Honestly, I didn't get this Batman, not just because I wasn't fond of Batman vs Superman, and I haven't since Suicide Squad yet. But because I knew they would make many versions just like with the Bale Batman. And in the end I know there will be a 1/4 Affleck Batman probably with an unmasked sculpt since we did see him without the mask in Batman vs Superman.
I guess I'll be more patient when it comes to main characters then. I'm very impressed with the quality of the figures, but the way they release stuff is a bit off-putting.

Last edited by COI; 02-12-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Luminous
Cyclops

I can see how this could turn some new collectors off. However, it's just a matter of understanding that Hot Toys operates in a different way from statue companies. If there is a new popular license available chances are extremely high that Hot Toys will develope products for it. They will always capitalize on main characters that have reoccurring roles in sequels and spinoffs. While statue companies may express interest they simply can't produce as much volume or at the same speed as as HT.

So if there is character you're interested in and think it may look better in the next film then it's probably best to wait. Otherwise purchase if you're happy with the current offering but be ready to expect a new version with the next film. It won't always happen so quickly though. Batman just happened to make an appearance in Suicide Squad. A film that was right on the heels of BvS.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
COI

The problem is, it's the same exact package just with more and better stuff. If they changed the figure, or completely changed the accessory set, or gave you the option upfront, I'd look the other way because at least the one I have has some distinguishing feature.

If Sideshow did something like this with a statue, they'd be crucified. It's not like these are $50 figures. I guess I just have to get used to this different mentality in the figure market.

I'm happy with the figure I have, but I just have issues with this practice. I guess veteran HT collectors are used to this.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
The problem is, it's the same exact package just with more and better stuff. If they changed the figure, or completely changed the accessory set, or gave you the option upfront, I'd look the other way because at least the one I have has some distinguishing feature.

If Sideshow did something like this with a statue, they'd be crucified. It's not like these are $50 figures. I guess I just have to get used to this different mentality in the figure market.

I'm happy with the figure I have, but I just have issues with this practice. I guess veteran HT collectors are used to this.
Then I would say no, that is not exactly a common occurrence with HT products. Like I said before, this is a weird circumstance since both films were released relatively close together. I can't recall a similar situation with an HT release. I am sure it has happened, but I wouldn't say this is "common".

Just look at their Man of Steel offerings. There was the first release for the MoS film and the second was for BvS. That's a big gap timeframe wise and the figures are very different. Batfleck was introduced in BvS and then boom, he is in Suicide Squad. Not surprising to see HT release a Batman for both films but unfortunately for early adopters HT improved upon the figure and what's included as they usually do and the gap between releases was much smaller than usual.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #10
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Then I would say no, that is not exactly a common occurrence with HT products. Like I said before, this is a weird circumstance since both films were released relatively close together. I can't recall a similar situation with an HT release. I am sure it has happened, but I wouldn't say this is "common".

Just look at their Man of Steel offerings. There was the first release for the MoS film and the second was for BvS. That's a big gap timeframe wise and the figures are very different. Batfleck was introduced in BvS and then boom, he is in Suicide Squad. Not surprising to see HT release a Batman for both films but unfortunately for early adopters HT improved upon the figure and what's included as they usually do and the gap between releases was much smaller than usual.
Yeah, the Man of Steel case I have no problem with because they're quite different, and as you said they're 2-3 years apart. Similarly, I have no problem with the multiple Caps, Black Widows, Winder Soldiers, etc from the different movies, even if I do think it's overkill.

I guess you're right, the timing is a bit odd. Good to know this particular circumstance isn't common. I know Iron Man is a giant cluster-F, but that's easy enough to avoid.