Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #501
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Even if the rest of the movie is garbage, the visuals of the movies have always been solid. Colors, music, cinematography....the plot might suck....but at least it's pretty to look at. I will never tire of the slow panning/moving of an Imperial Star Destroyer into scene.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #502
built2shred
Phoenix

After the premiere, half the critics liked it the other half didn't... It kind of seems like casual fans of Star Wars enjoyed it but the more hardcore fans didn't like a lot of the story elements... here are some statements...

"I loved parts, I didn’t love others, and I’m leaving the theater very, very conflicted about it."

"the most convoluted Star Wars."

"There is a lot I liked, but the first half gets so bogged down with exposition and new plot and doodads and beacons and transmitters, it feels like it should have been three movies on its own," he wrote. "The whole first half felt like all exposition. It does get better."

"There is good in 'Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker.' But there is more that is disappointing."

"still processing" adding that "a couple of things I didn’t like sour the movie for me."

"I absolutely loved it"

"Not the best #StarWars but one with great new characters, cool twists and a fantastic group dynamic"
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #503
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I was actually impressed with Kylo at first. He stopped a blast from a blaster in mid air, he looked pretty cool and had a new type of lightsaber.....then he took his helmet off and it went downhill for me from there. Too much emotion for a wanna be Sith lord.
I hated that part, always thought it should just dissipate since it's energy. As far as his costume hated that too. Nothing in this Trilogy has an aesthetic design yet the other 6 were so rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Even if the rest of the movie is garbage, the visuals of the movies have always been solid. Colors, music, cinematography....the plot might suck....but at least it's pretty to look at. I will never tire of the slow panning/moving of an Imperial Star Destroyer into scene.
Pretty much this. Can't believe it takes convincing to get people to see a Star Wars movie. But they've pretty much painted themselves into a corner. It would take the greatest prestige/inception mind-phuck in all of cinema to make the mysteries they've teased worthwhile.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #504
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
feels like it should have been three movies on its own," he wrote. "The whole first half felt like all exposition.
Yep that's what I figured. The Force Awakens did absolutely nothing for a trilogy and The Last Jedi just a little. They've done nothing but tease "what's going on" for 2 movies so they gotta explain things at some point.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #505
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

so they decided now that its the last movie in the trilogy they should probably present some kind of story?
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #506
SONICobra
Batman

its too bad abrams didnt want to do the second movie, yeah the first movie was a total rehash (although i found it enjoyable) but at least he would have had two movies to flesh out all his ideas instead of one. is what it is, im going to wait to hear back from you guys before deciding if im seeing this in theaters or not
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #507
Nebulhym
The X-Men

The biggest problem of this latest tragedy of a trilogy is that they had absolutely no idea where they were going.

The first was a poor rehash of a New Hope, it didn't bring anything new to the rich lore. Everything was rehashed. It was pathetically bad and poor.

The second movie was...absolutely abysmal and going, again, nowhere.

I have no doubt they never had a single idea of who rey's parents are (it probably changed many times in the last 3 years) or simply where the franchise was going.

The only person who had a vision regarding where Star Wars was going is George Lucas (and some could argue, Dave filoni as he proved his mastery of the Star Wars lore in the clones Wars which were fantastic)

What am I expecting form the last movie? I'll tell you when it's available on demand for $1.99 in 4K.
Nebulhym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:45 AM   #508
Nebulhym
The X-Men

By the way, it's currently sitting at 53% rating on rotten tomatoes.

(Not that it means anything as the first 2 are above 90%, but still..)
Nebulhym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #509
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Bingo! Kylo is terrible, on the other hand, Rey could have been great, Phasma could have been great. A shame.
I wouldn’t say he’s terrible. His character is conflicted and I don’t believe he’s strong enough to hold up the franchise.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #510
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulhym View Post
The biggest problem of this latest tragedy of a trilogy is that they had absolutely no idea where they were going.

The first was a poor rehash of a New Hope, it didn't bring anything new to the rich lore. Everything was rehashed. It was pathetically bad and poor.

The second movie was...absolutely abysmal and going, again, nowhere.

I have no doubt they never had a single idea of who rey's parents are (it probably changed many times in the last 3 years) or simply where the franchise was going.

The only person who had a vision regarding where Star Wars was going is George Lucas (and some could argue, Dave filoni as he proved his mastery of the Star Wars lore in the clones Wars which were fantastic)

What am I expecting form the last movie? I'll tell you when it's available on demand for $1.99 in 4K.
For once I agree with you, Nebulhym.

Even though Abrams supposedly consulted Lucus on the making of Rise of Skywalker, I don't have any expectation it will be good. I hope I am wrong.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote