Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #1001
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

BTW I totally accept if people are unhappy with pose and general composition of the piece but don't accept the anatomy excuse.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 AM   #1002
HBK83
The Avengers

I love how this turned into a debate about magnetos age and physique. Lol
In all, the things people are complaining about will show when it's up for sale. a 500 ex I see those selling out. But any regulars will sit for a long time. They can't make more than 1500 of these. And who knows maybe this is the look in the next movie. Just not for me personally. Good talk though
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #1003
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK83 View Post
I love how this turned into a debate about magnetos age and physique. Lol
In all, the things people are complaining about will show when it's up for sale. a 500 ex I see those selling out. But any regulars will sit for a long time. They can't make more than 1500 of these. And who knows maybe this is the look in the next movie. Just not for me personally. Good talk though
Says the guy who started the debate about his build.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #1004
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB79 View Post
Why would you want to be so big you can't wipe your own ass. His proportions appear fine to me. I like the different approach here. Just hoping for a different portrait.
im on the same page, body proportions are fine - the portrait has grown on me, looks better in videos than pictures for some reason. still, wouldnt mind a coh with a different look as well
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #1005
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

A lot of gap between his armor and chest. That might only get worse in production. I wonder what justifications people will come up with for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Why not argue that heroes and villains look silly in spandex. Don't forget that it is impractical as hell. And who would choose purple as their main color?

It is a comic book character there is no need to overthink things.
Totally agree. Overthinking to justify a purchase. You know they don't love it, but they're trying to come up with anything in order to convince themselves that they do.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #1006
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Magneto has always been drawn relatively mature/old if you like in the comics. It gives him gravitas a younger version wouldn't have.

Fassabender is very slim and lean much like this sculpt which makes sense to me. Jim Lee did not always get it right. Just look at his redesign of Wonder Woman as a clone of Rogue. He can draw but horrible designer IMO.
It's not only your opinion. I agree with you. Lee can draw pretty pictures, but when it comes to design and story telling, that is where he is lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasp Lame View Post
The way I've always read Magneto is he's the master of magnetism and everything that goes with it. He can use his powers to keep in peak physical shape without having to bench press 300 pounds. He has control of the human body’s electrochemical signals:

http://www.magnetowasright.com/pages/analysis/the-science-of-magneto.php
Magneto should not have overly big muscles. He is toned in this sculpt which is about right. I doubt his magnetic powers can give him muscle mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
A lot of gap between his armor and chest. That might only get worse in production. I wonder what justifications people will come up with for that?

Totally agree. Overthinking to justify a purchase. You know they don't love it, but they're trying to come up with anything in order to convince themselves that they do.
I don't love the sculpt but still plan on getting it. Maybe not right a way but still getting it.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #1007
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not here to defend Sideshow as i think this year has been mediocre but they did say they were rushing to get this ready and it might be down to just poor assembly and paint. Ive seen similar in the past where they rushed to have pieces at the con but the issues did not arise in production

Quote:
Or they may actually like the piece as is and will purchase. I know how stupid of them.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #1008
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehollywood View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6aWIVXBZs4

Some video of both Wolverine and Magneto
Magneto looks much better in this video than the pics
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #1009
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Magneto looks much better in this video than the pics
After watching this video, I will say he does look a tad better than in the photos.

However, I am still not feeling the costume at all for these reasons:

1. The collar piece (unsure of the technical term) looks like it's just floating there instead of actually part of the costume.

2. The helmet looks too smooth and plain compared to the detailing on his body suit, which leads me to the whole "cheap plastic" look I stated earlier. The helmet also looks a tad large, which makes it appear his head is a tad too large for the slightly slender body. Maybe an unmasked head will fix that illusion.

3. The belt is just bad, there's not much more to say on it.

4. I saw a side-by-side on Facebook of this piece and the new white XM Magneto. I will preface this by saying this is NOT a dig on Sideshow nor is it a dig on XM. But, the pattern/texture on both Magneto's is almost identical, as are the shape of the gloves and boots.

5. And this is a big one for me - while I have no issues with a fabric wired cape, this particular one just looks to be the antithesis of epic to me.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #1010
adee
Green Arrow

I like it much more after seeing a few videos. It's really only the cape collar I dislike. I don't like the way it flares up and I think I'd pose the cape differently than how they have it displayed. I'd have the cape follow the bend of the armor which I think would make it look better/more dramatic. That make sense?
adee is offline   Reply With Quote