Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 09-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
If Titanfall say for example make all the Titans in a scale that made them all roughly 18 inches on average(still displayable but not overwhelming for a collection.)

Then for the pilots go smaller to indicate a relationship but still large enough to capture details that are expected if you are going for high end stuff like say 1/6 or 1/7. This is IF the pilots are cool enough as individual characters to warrant the attention.

Again I would not make mechs and then make tiny G.I. Joe men that look like they fit inside unless the little men are fairly irrelevant.

So scale is less important than displayability and coolness.

Small characters have to be big enough to be cool and larger characters cant be too large.

The world im talking about has characters 100+ feet tall so im being conservative when I only say 30 feet tall.

There is no way it can be made to a scale. So how to handle that is the big question.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #12
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Yeah, just compress the scales.

The larger characters would fall around a typical 1:4 size. (~18")

Medium size around a typical 1:5. (~15")

And small around typical 1:6. (~12")

All +/- and inch, for variation.

Not perfectly proportional, but it maintains their relative sizing.

It's not perfect, but I think that's the best that can be done with such a license.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #13
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post

Small characters have to be big enough to be cool and larger characters cant be too large.

The world im talking about has characters 100+ feet tall so im being conservative when I only say 30 feet tall.

There is no way it can be made to a scale. So how to handle that is the big question.
Yes but to a degree bigger is better, we're guys after all. Bigger allows more details and Wow factor. For toys for grown men moderation and reasonibility have to fight their way into these purchase decisions.

Consistency is still key though!
Keep the big guys in line with each other and the little guys in line with themselves. If there's a few extreme outliers make them bigger but we have to face it that we aren't getting a 2 foot Optimus Prime and then a 10 foot Omega Supreme to match in Scale.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #14
Morgul Steve
Captain Marvel

Yeah I don't think scale is that important or at least that all the pieces from a line are in scale. Just look at what Weta is doing. The Balrog and Trolls are not in scale with some of their other statues. I think as long as each piece has a look and is large enough to convey a presents and look.
Morgul Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
tulk
The Spirit

IMO, statue in the same series I.e. God of war, the porpotion should be based on type of character --- Human type 1/4 , monster type use maquette style like sideshow which is roughly 5-8 inch higher than a 1/4.

Assuming collectors want collect the entire line, it will definitely be well suited, consider some of the monster character if made into 1/4 are 30 feet like you mentioned.
tulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #16
dao2
Cyclops

I think scale is important, but it can change. Let's take transformers for example. Obviously you can't have some proper scale with some of the larger transformers however when they are the same size it sucks. So sure when the bigger ones come around make them a smaller scale, but still substantially bigger then some of the others to show their hugeness. Same for titanfall. I wouldn't want a mech and pilot that are the same height. However you throw in a pilot that's half the size of the mech it would be more agreeable I think.
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #17
gogo13
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
You guys are killing me. SF is a poor example as they dont have drastically divergent sizes.

Ive already laid out that some characters are 3' tall and some are 30' tall.

Whats the solution ?
You could go non scale. If you normally make statues in 1/4 scale and you have two extremes. Make it cool but out of scale. You also look if this is a single piece or part of collection.

For example SS made godzilla ( movie height 160 ft to over 300 ft). He was 24 inches if I remember. HULK gladiator was a little over 30 inches. Hulk is larger than godzilla. GODZILLA should be at least 32 inches. Like SS Sentinel or Galactus. Making him so small was an easy pass for me. To not make him large took some of the cool factor away.He would be strange displaying him other 1/4 statue. It was a one time statue ,not part of a series.Godzilla needs a presence .He should have been made the size of the tallest statue made by that company. GodZILLA should have a higher price.than a normal scale statue

Small scale . Hobbit are in average 3ft . For 1/4 scale that would be 9 inches. It has no presence.. I think make them non scale alittle. Make him a little larger 11 to 12 inches tall. Sorta like 1/6.
You still want the statue to have presence and yet sorta give the right prespective of being small .Statue should cost alittle less cause of the size.

Just my thought don't know if it helps..
gogo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #18
Battletroll
The Spirit

Quote:

Characters that are obviously around the same size should be in scale.
For example, it bothers me that Blitzway's 1:4 Monroe doesn't really sit well between Sideshow 1:4. She's a little smaller than true 1:4 and that's bothersome.

I like what Sideshow/ Weta have done with their LOTR collectibles. The 'human-kind' are all 1/6 scale. The beasts however (Balrog, Cave Troll) don't fit in that scale, but were impressive enough in size to give the same feel.
That's one of the reasons the "baby Balrog" was never that loved, it was so small compared to the other characters, it lost it's impressiveness.
Even the original Balrog could have been bigger by todays standards.

So in the end, impresiveness and the correct feel are more important than true scale.
Battletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #19
SONICobra
Batman

I like a "line" to be all the same scale, i think the difference in height is visually interesting and being in scale to each other creates a cohesive display

Larger characters can be done in a different scale but still made to be larger than other smaller characters

Ss has the pf line which has charaters as small as rocket and dawg and as large as groot and lobo and those all obviously display well with other 1:4 scale pieces. Then they have larger "smaller scale" pieces like galactus and the sentinel that are a mixed bag when it comes to true scale but still display well with everything else imo
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #20
s_paulik87
Green Lantern Corps

Cool is the factor for me. I'm a weirdo and have 1/6. 1/5. 1/4 all mixed together, dios, full statues, and busts all mixed as well. If i had to pick my favorite scale it would be 1/5. Perfect I between for me and my space. Oh and Jerry.... if you are mentioning warcraft but aren't doing it you're really going to make me upset if this is really just a "hypothetical " question .... It's mean to tease me like that with warcraft
s_paulik87 is offline   Reply With Quote