Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 09-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #21
Thegameman2011
A day without sunshine is like... night.

The solution is to do the best you can. You can't please everyone and your right no one will display a 90" statue with a 3". The cool factor is the only way to make it work. In the end people will buy what they like regardless to size.
Thegameman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #22
Blacksunn
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Blacksunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #23
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
You guys are killing me. SF is a poor example as they dont have drastically divergent sizes.

Ive already laid out that some characters are 3' tall and some are 30' tall.

Whats the solution ?
Haha, sorry, I thought that was just an extreme example you were throwing out there.

My fault.

That's a really interesting Question. Not sure I have an answer, but I will tell you that as a collector of Mazinger Z (Tranzor Z in the USA), I would LOVE to see scenic dioramas of my favorite characters.

For instance if you did the Giant robot in 1/4, the human characters appearing in the diorama would be scaled to match the 1/4 robot (tiny, in scale, Super Cool!).

If you made the giant (your 30' character) character in 1/3 the other characters should match that character.

So I realize you can't actually make a 30' character in 1/3.

So....

You should just make the largest characters in the line be the average height of humans, and scale from there.

The answer is standing in your office right? Sideshow Galactus and his mini Silver Surfer!

Apply that method to any scale!
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #24
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I think it comes down the universe and ways you can group or categorize the pieces in question.

But as mentioned, small characters needs to be large enough to be visibly cool / interesting to look at. And large characters basically need to be small enough to display / buy easily enough.
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #25
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

I think scale differences are easier to swallow when put into perspective. Put a 24" Gandalf next to a 30" Balrog and its gonna feel off. But put a 24" Gandalf next to a 30" Balrog 8" Gandalf Diorama- now your shelf is telling a story, with closeups and pan-outs just like the movies.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #26
Fixedluck
Doh!

I think your example of the Sideshow Blizzard line is what you should do where scaling just doesn't apply practically Jerry. I have the Deathwing and Arthas displayed together and both are great and compliment each other really well. If they were done in any kind of scale in comparison to their actually size, either Deathwing would be too big to display or Arthas would be too small to see. Lol So I think just making them all a relative size would be the best way to do it.
Fixedluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:00 AM   #27
lewisnfro86
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

While scale is important, ultimately what looks cool matters the most to me. The examples you gave are perfect. if Deathwing was really 1:4 scale, I would not have gotten it. As long as the size fits with the line (even if you have to increase size/decrease it), that's what I care about the most. Cool > *
lewisnfro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:32 AM   #28
chris1203
The Spirit
Adamantium Plus Member

Scale matters

Ill use Motu as an example. The statue line was in scale (1/4),now a 1/4 scale orko wouldn't make sense but a 1/2 or even life size orko would work and sell well. If a castle was made then obviously it would be at a smaller scale and would still sell well,being that collectors know theres no way to get a matching scaled castle. I hope I make sense
chris1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:03 AM   #29
Isaiasrosas212
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1203 View Post
Ill use Motu as an example. The statue line was in scale (1/4),now a 1/4 scale orko wouldn't make sense but a 1/2 or even life size orko would work and sell well. If a castle was made then obviously it would be at a smaller scale and would still sell well,being that collectors know theres no way to get a matching scaled castle. I hope I make sense
I can't really imagine a life-size Orko ever happening. Would be cool though, but just wouldn't make sense.
Isaiasrosas212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #30
Atheris
The Maxx

This is pretty simple, for me anyway. The coolness factor and source of a character determines its size. For monsters and/or main characters that happen to be on the large size, would translate into a bigger than average statue. No particular scale, just seemingly large when it's in the presence of a collector.

I'm a Hulk nut, so I'll use him as an example. I have Hulks ranging from 1:5 to 1:2 and odd scales in between. Hulk is a giant monster and is better represented in larger scales. As long as his mass is conveyed in the sculpt, I think most would be impressed with any Hulk between 1:4 and any odd scale above.

Another example would be Chronicles T-Rex break out. That's a big animal with a lot of mass, in a very cool pose. But it doesn't have the presence and wow factor as a big Hulk because the sculpt is so small. Had they made that T-Rex 1-2 sizes bigger, that would have been ideal and more enticing to collectors. Which is why I believe it hasn't sold out for so long. Instead of being a large centre piece in a collection of an iconic scene, they turned it into a cool piece to display on your desk at work. Hence the lukewarm sales.

I'm a little biased however, because a collector like me likes bigger eye catching pieces. But it doesn't mean other collectors won't appreciate large scale eye catching peices they can look at and say "wow, I just need to have that in my collection no matter what!"

I would buy another 1:4 Goro, and any odd scale Goro above that...because hell, they're going to be big regardless. That's what I want in a large imposing character that holds an important roll at its source. But you wouldn't get me to bite on anything smaller than 1:4. Then it just becomes novelty.

In the end, a work of art is a work of art however it comes. I'd like to buy new Rolls Royce, it doesn't fit in my garage, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to try.

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote