Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-16-2023, 06:35 PM   #321
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I?m not as price sensitive as some are, but Sideshow are the budget brand nowadays and price accordingly, no matter how some feel about it. In that, if your competitors are charging significantly more, there?s no way they?ll charge lower than they already are. And being in that budget position will imo protect their place, as it?s not like everyone sees them as the premium brand as they once were maybe 10 or even 5 years ago.
For a Sideshow CS agent to reply implying the issue is down to pro camera and lighting (which is total BS)
amounts to nothing more than throwing an insult at the consumer / collector.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:39 PM   #322
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
For a Sideshow CS agent to reply implying the issue is down to pro camera and lighting (which is total BS)
I agree.

But that’s a cut and paste reply. I, and other have received that same boiler plate reply from Sideshow over the years.

Though it may well be true that all of them have been painted like that, more or less.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:53 PM   #323
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
I agree.

But that?s a cut and paste reply. I, and other have received that same boiler plate reply from Sideshow over the years.

Though it may well be true that all of them have been painted like that, more or less.
Probably.
It is something Sideshow have agreed with the factory. Which amounts to time / process / price / business / profit .. - that's Sideshow
..it will, at some point bite them them in the ass. As other companies have entered the statue game.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:32 AM   #324
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
True. But Sideshow, unlike the real thing decided to sculpt in indents/panel lines to show a separation between the two colours, after which they did include shading along the transition lines. They made a sculpting decision, whereby imo colouring within the lines then should?ve been mandatory.

I am still looking forward to getting this piece, but after watching nearmint/Jeff?s review, I prepared myself for it.

I?m accepting it, but part of me wishes that I didn?t have to.
Regarding design, I'm sure that the decision was made for live-action, to make the transition more blended. It's more natural for there to be a gradual change than such sharp lines in most biology. And the sharp lines end up looking too much like they're tattoos, on Ahsoka or Maul's faces, for example.

Regarding Sideshow's sculpting decision, that's not why sculpted lines are put in. They're done by the sculptor to aid the painter. Even with a blend, they need to know where the solid color stops, so they can feather it at that point. It's either do it that way, or use decals. And decal use on a rounded, tubular object would probably create far too much trouble and inconsistent results.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:07 AM   #325
KiDDo
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Does anyone happen to have the Hot Toys 1/4 Deluxe Mando? Curious to see how he would pair with this Ahsoka.
KiDDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:09 AM   #326
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

dis....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I agree.

To me that was a dis and kinda a blow to one's intelligence.

not ok.
Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:10 AM   #327
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

and regarding......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Regarding design, I'm sure that the decision was made for live-action, to make the transition more blended. It's more natural for there to be a gradual change than such sharp lines in most biology. And the sharp lines end up looking too much like they're tattoos, on Ahsoka or Maul's faces, for example.

Regarding Sideshow's sculpting decision, that's not why sculpted lines are put in. They're done by the sculptor to aid the painter. Even with a blend, they need to know where the solid color stops, so they can feather it at that point. It's either do it that way, or use decals. And decal use on a rounded, tubular object would probably create far too much trouble and inconsistent results.
...and regarding the choice to not have the sabers light up.......

tsk.....tsk........tsk........LOL
Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 04:41 PM   #328
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDDo View Post
Does anyone happen to have the Hot Toys 1/4 Deluxe Mando? Curious to see how he would pair with this Ahsoka.
I have it, but I don't yet have the Ahsoka as I ordered it locally from Popcultcha. So, it may be a little while before I get it in.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:12 PM   #329
KiDDo
A day without sunshine is like... night.

That’s cool, what love to see them both together. The 1/4 Mando is on sale in a few shops here, must not be that popular compared to the 1/6 stuff. I don’t wanna order him though before I get my Ahsoka. And I don’t collect 1/4 male statues/figures in general - will only make exceptions for iconic characters - but the show is awesome! Otherwise I have to wait for a new Leia and/or Queen Amidala in 1/4 to pair with Ahsoka^^
KiDDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:31 PM   #330
Agent_J.Warren
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
Adamantium Member

Quote:
I?m not as price sensitive as some are, but Sideshow are the budget brand nowadays and price accordingly, no matter how some feel about it. In that, if your competitors are charging significantly more, there?s no way they?ll charge lower than they already are. And being in that budget position will imo protect their place, as it?s not like everyone sees them as the premium brand as they once were maybe 10 or even 5 years ago.
The only thing Sideshow had going for them to keep pricing down was the economies of scale effect in combination with cheaper production factories. Sideshow has always had QC issues which I think is why many long-term collectors eventually switch to competitors like XM, Queen, etc, and other various customs that show up to fill the void in the traditional statue market.

They may correct course and significantly reduce edition sizes and increase pricing to remain relevant. Who knows at this point. Time will tell I guess.
Agent_J.Warren is offline   Reply With Quote