Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 05-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #21
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Unlicensed statues are not allowed to be posted on the forum.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #22
llama
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Which ones are unlicensed? I never heard of any of these the brands. I am curious to know which ones actually had a license if any.
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #23
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

@mickey Nothing yet just a little note in the preorder saying stay tuned Aerith soon.

@everyone else I’m going to go out on a limb here and say I’ve read all the forum rules. Nowhere does it say you can’t post/show/review unlicensed pieces. If I’m going blind or misinterpreting the rules a mod can correct me so we can get clarification once and for all. There are plenty of unlicensed statues in the misc section that have been sitting there for 5+ years with nary a removal.

I am under the impression the rule that is there is for people who were trying to sell recasts before my time which is a big no no. That’s how I interpret it anyway. Some people frown upon unlicensed pieces because it takes $ away from the company that owns the license. These are in no way recasts. They are original and built from the ground up just not commissioned by the company that owns the license. I suspect if an unlicensed company itself posted here to gin up support that would be a no no.

There are Asian company’s that produce statues some licensed some not. You can usually tell which ones aren’t licensed if they don’t use the characters name. Example the Greenleaf Resident Evil piece is called Crisis Zombie Hunter instead of Claire Redfield. I’m personally not above buying some of these pieces because I want certain characters in my collection but you need to be careful because not all these companies put out a Sideshow/P1 type quality. Do the research.

Last edited by d rod; 05-06-2020 at 03:29 PM.
eternalblue02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:51 AM   #24
mickey
The Avengers

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post

@mickey Nothing yet just a little note in the preorder saying stay tuned Aerith soon.

@everyone else I’m going to go out on a limb here and say I’ve read all the forum rules. Nowhere does it say you can’t post/show/review unlicensed pieces. If I’m going blind or misinterpreting the rules a mod can correct me so we can get clarification once and for all. There are plenty of unlicensed statues in the misc section that have been sitting there for 5+ years with nary a removal.

I am under the impression the rule that is there is for people who were trying to sell recasts before my time which is a big no no. That’s how I interpret it anyway. Some people frown upon unlicensed pieces because it takes $ away from the company that owns the license. These are in no way recasts. They are original and built from the ground up just not commissioned by the company that owns the license. I suspect if an unlicensed company itself posted here to gin up support that would be a no no.

There are Asian company’s that produce statues some licensed some not. You can usually tell which ones aren’t licensed if they don’t use the characters name. Example the Greenleaf Resident Evil piece is called Crisis Zombie Hunter instead of Claire Redfield
Ooops, no idea some (or all of them) are unlicensed. Thanks for the info. I was actually wondering how they got permission from Square to make FF statues. Guess they didn't get it after all.

By the way, haha! Crisis Zombie?! Yeah, I saw an Ada statue and it was called something else and I was like, I'm pretty sure that's Ada, why are they calling it that?
So, that was probably it! T'was an unlicensed piece. But man, that Ada statue was kickass! It made me think, if they can do a masterpiece like that, why not get a license or create an original character...

It's nice to be learning new stuffs about this hobby.

mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #25
actionjackson83
Midnighter

because most of the time square is notoriously stingy with licensing... in fact they just don't do it.
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #26
Augen
Metal Men

If Square gave P1, XM, SS, HMO, etc. I'd buy all the Tifa they had.

Sitting on gold mines with some of their IPs.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #27
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
Which ones are unlicensed? I never heard of any of these the brands. I am curious to know which ones actually had a license if any.
When you can also buy a nude version of the Tifa sculpt....go ahead and assume that is unlicensed.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #28
actionjackson83
Midnighter

exactly, they don't understand how much money they're leaving on the table in merchandising and distributing licenses.
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #29
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post

There are Asian company’s that produce statues some licensed some not. You can usually tell which ones aren’t licensed if they don’t use the characters name. Example the Greenleaf Resident Evil piece is called Crisis Zombie Hunter instead of Claire Redfield. I’m personally not above buying some of these pieces because I want certain characters in my collection but you need to be careful because not all these companies put out a Sideshow/P1 type quality. Do the research.
The rules do state about unlicensed kits etc which these all fall under.

Also just don't think it's fair to post the unlicensed stuff....

I mean if we started a One piece/DBZ/Naruto thread there would be literally 100s of unlicensed pieces.

Studios like Xceed, VKH, Last Sleep,G5, Surge and 100s of others who all make high quality (sometime better than licensed to be fair) statues but they are ALL still unlicensed.

There are some licensed Chinese studios out there for sure but the majority aren't.

Also it then rubs the companies that do have licenses the wrong way imo. The forum owner wants to keep the forum legit and i'd respect those wishes.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #30
llama
The Spirit

Quote:
When you can also buy a nude version of the Tifa sculpt....go ahead and assume that is unlicensed.
I didn't even realize that they were selling a nude Tifa. I thought it was one of those WIP sculpt pictures.

I've seen some weird statues from legit companies that seem out of character for the licensed properties they are from as far as the amount of nudity they show. In Japan at least, it seems like a lot of all ages anime and games can also have adult versions. I guess Square seems more careful and picky than most. Kind of like Nintendo or Disney.

I still wonder though, does Square just not license out anything at all at this point?
llama is offline   Reply With Quote