Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 06-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #21
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I have to admit at first when I started collecting FS (Bowen's) I wanted complete team line ups. After buying and selling the characters I did not want, I have been a little more particular when I purchase a statue.

I do admit I have been swayed by reviews though. I was not going to get Tweeterhead's Donna Troy or Martian Manhunter but after the multiple positive reviews both statues have received I ended up purchasing both and did not regret my purchase.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #22
Augen
Metal Men

I think I know what I like, but there are pieces that are borderline fitting my collection. I wasn't planning on getting a Harley Quinn as she is a villain (but now a anti-hero?) and Prime 1 did such a good job that she will be an honorary member of my statue Justice League.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #23
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf65 View Post
I only buy what I really like, really want and can afford,
The only time someone else's opinion swayed me was after watching DGK's review of Kier death's warbringer, I was on the fence and after watching immediately ordered her...and she's amazing, so thanks DGK
don't take this the wrong way but I won't be watching any more of your reviews though...I can't afford too.

And here i was just about to post a rant about people listening to much to youtubers and facebook groups like some little cult lol

I don't think i fall into that category...but the amount of people who literally buy what they are told by Youtubers is astonishing, a review should be there to inform and help make the decision not make the decision for you.

Some of these bigger Youtubers who do get most of their statues for free, but don't mention it on their videos, and then sell them off a week after the review will never give a fair and balanced review as they have no money in the product, when youve dropped $600 on a real stinker it hurts, it hurts real bad....but if you've just been given that stinker for free with a promise of more stinkers to sell on later...then it's easier to be more positive about it.

I'm not saying all reviewers do this but you'd be surprised at the majority of the larger ones who do it, if they're reviewing $5000 of statues a week...it's no longer a hobby, it's no longer the statues they want or care about, it's now become a popularity contest.

And Facebook groups...wow even worse, like gangs who bully people into thinking what they have isn't good enough and if you're not spending $600-$1200 on a statue you're not doing it right...total elitism.

Use reviews and opinions to help inform what you want, but at the end of the day you buy what makes you happy, what you have a connection with and what YOU think looks good. All art is subjective remember and it's no different with statues and collectables.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #24
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post

And here i was just about to post a rant about people listening to much to youtubers and facebook groups like some little cult lol

I don't think i fall into that category...but the amount of people who literally buy what they are told by Youtubers is astonishing, a review should be there to inform and help make the decision not make the decision for you.

Some of these bigger Youtubers who do get most of their statues for free, but don't mention it on their videos, and then sell them off a week after the review will never give a fair and balanced review as they have no money in the product, when youve dropped $600 on a real stinker it hurts, it hurts real bad....but if you've just been given that stinker for free with a promise of more stinkers to sell on later...then it's easier to be more positive about it.

I'm not saying all reviewers do this but you'd be surprised at the majority of the larger ones who do it, if they're reviewing $5000 of statues a week...it's no longer a hobby, it's no longer the statues they want or care about, it's now become a popularity contest.

And Facebook groups...wow even worse, like gangs who bully people into thinking what they have isn't good enough and if you're not spending $600-$1200 on a statue you're not doing it right...total elitism.

Use reviews and opinions to help inform what you want, but at the end of the day you buy what makes you happy, what you have a connection with and what YOU think looks good. All art is subjective remember and it's no different with statues and collectables.
oooooh I can feel the shade
grphyx1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #25
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post

It would be interesting to know where you get your proof/facts from? Do they tell you they get them for free and then sell them? And how do you know people buy statues based on a YouTube reviewer?
Old 06-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #26
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
It would be interesting to know where you get your proof/facts from? Do they tell you they get them for free and then sell them?
It's easy to tell when the numbers on the bottom of the base match the numbers shown in the reviews.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #27
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
It would be interesting to know where you get your proof/facts from? Do they tell you they get them for free and then sell them? And how do you know people buy statues based on a YouTube reviewer?
There's a reason why YouTubers are usually called influencers...

I don't know anything about people getting free statues and reselling them but I don't think it's a far stretch to say it's possible some reviewers on YouTube are running it as a way to make money vs just being an enthusiast reviewer... People probably should keep that in mind when watching such videos and reviews...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #28
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
There's a reason why YouTubers are usually called influencers...

I don't know anything about people getting free statues and reselling them but I don't think it's a far stretch to say it's possible some reviewers on YouTube are running it as a way to make money vs just being an enthusiast reviewer... People probably should keep that in mind when watching such videos and reviews...
Yup, that's why I pay more attention to negative comments than positive ones. As I wrote earlier, positive comments are frequently the result of marketing tactics (this includes "reviews" of statues supplied for free) or people lying to themselves to feel better.

The Comics Now and Batman News "reviewers" sell their statues on eBay after they're done with their "reviews".

Back in 2018/2019, many of the DC Artists Alley figures that were "reviewed" were also sold on eBay.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #29
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

The only statue reviewer I ever watch on youtube is Nearmint (and if he is getting them for free I want in on that deal��)

I have to say for statue reviews I go by what posters on here have to say and by the pics they post.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #30
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
It's easy to tell when the numbers on the bottom of the base match the numbers shown in the reviews.
Doesn’t mean they got them for free. Do we know if they send any back after they have been reviewed?