Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Diamond Select

Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #21
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

One hundred per cent! Different strokes!
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #22
kowarrior
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowarrior View Post
SimmonM, do you have the Silver Surfer bust too? Also, did you buy these busts mint when they were released? Does the Thing bust flake at all? I've heard the Thing had a little paintwork problem.
How are the reflective stickers on Spidey's eyes holding up? I think a lot of people have ended up scratching them. Maybe Ross should've just had white paint on the eyes instead of those reflective stickers for the Spidy bust?
kowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #23
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowarrior View Post
How are the reflective stickers on Spidey's eyes holding up? I think a lot of people have ended up scratching them. Maybe Ross should've just had white paint on the eyes instead of those reflective stickers for the Spidy bust?
My Thing bust flaked badly, and my Spidey arrived with scuffed eyes. I painted them white, and they look great.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #24
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Not a fan of Ross's work on Marvel in a way its too realistic. Now his work with DC is

I am first and foremost a Spider-man fan and although i like the Romita influence of the Ross Spider-man i LOVE McFarlanes BIG EYE Spidey. I would so love for him to come back and draw old webhead.
What kind of Spidey fan prefers McFarlanes Spidey over the perfection that is Romita's? I like McFarlanes Spidey too, but JR's Spidey is THE Spidey to me.

Yeah...I know it's a pointless debate, but what the hay.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #25
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
What kind of Spidey fan prefers McFarlanes Spidey over the perfection that is Romita's?
I think thats alittle harsh.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #26
kowarrior

I couldn't decide which Spidy head bust I liked better so I just bought them both.
When in doubt, just buy all.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #27
kowarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
My Thing bust flaked badly, and my Spidey arrived with scuffed eyes. I painted them white, and they look great.
How about some photos of your craftsmanship, JDH?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #28
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I think thats alittle harsh.
My bad, Bulls. Was just tryin to bust your balls a bit. You should've seen the verbal beating I took a while back on another forum when I said "I don't know how anyone could prefer Ditko's Spidey over Romita's" One guy was so pissed about it I thought he was gonna take a flight to find me and challenge me to a throwdown.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #29
SimmonM
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Hey Kowarrior - yes, I purchased all of these busts mint upon release. My Spidey shipped to me with mint eye reflectors.

The Thing is an entirely other story however. Just like everyone else who owns one, my Thing has the same paint defect. It arrived mint but one afternoon as I was dusting the paint began flaking. I was damn close to tears! It's all good though - I'm having both this bust and the Ross Hulk repainted.

I don't own the Silver Surfer and I missed out on Ironman. I sort of slept on both and I'm kicking myself now. I have no interest in Thor nor the UD Venom because I think the SS Venom is the end-all-be-all of Venom sculpts out there.

Just to throw in my 2 cents ... I think the DF Thing is a much nicer sculpt than Sideshow's Thing. It's incredibly faithful to Byrne's work on the Fantastic Four. I also prefer the DF Spidey over the SS McFarlenesque Spidey ... and I'm a fan of McFarlane's work.

I think the DF busts are a little under appreciated - I don't really ever see much discussion regarding them. I mean, you had Alex Ross designing them and Mike Hill sculpting ... how could you go wrong there (aside from the craptacular paint apps).
SimmonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:28 AM   #30
Domer
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
What kind of Spidey fan prefers McFarlanes Spidey over the perfection that is Romita's?

Yeah...I know it's a pointless debate, but what the hay.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste

I like em both. Dont had the chance to get the Romita one. But the McFarlane Spidie looks really nice to me.
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote