Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
ratchet
Mandarin

What's a good statute of limitations on SPOILERS

This is a conversation I was having elsewhere.

Let's say a movie has been out for 10 years and you, in the midst of conversation, ruin the twist to said movie that the other person has not seen.

Does the person who hasn't seen the movie have a right to be angry?
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

10 Years is more than enough time, but I'd go as low as a year.Anyone who really has an interest in seeing a movie should have done so within a year of release.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
This is a conversation I was having elsewhere.

Let's say a movie has been out for 10 years and you, in the midst of conversation, ruin the twist to said movie that the other person has not seen.

Does the person who hasn't seen the movie have a right to be angry?
Absolutely not. If you make the decision not to watch a film in a timely fashion you accept the inherent risks in having certain aspects spoiled, simple as that. If it was that important to someone personally they'd have made an effort to see it.

That said if someone makes it clear they haven't seen something and you spoil it anyways thats just rude and disrespectful.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
if someone makes it clear they haven't seen something and you spoil it anyways thats just rude and disrespectful.
Yup!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Marvelito

I would be more lenient on tv spoilers than movie spoilers though. Nowadays many people catch up with tv shows years after they've gone off the air, or even start them while they're on and seasons ahead.

The risks of getting spoiled are much greater for tv than movies though, IMO.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
MrYac
Hercules

you are way more tolerant then me, I give people until the movie starts it's cycle on cable tv. now I don't go around spoiling movies, but if i'm talking about a movie that's already out of theaters, been out on DVD AND has been on HBO and the like then you have no ground to get annoyed if you hear me talking about it, If you haven't seen the movie by then you aren't really that concerned with the movie
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
ONEYE
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Once the movie has aired, anywhere, you can expect spoilers.
ONEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
steve the meat
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

This thread reminds me of when my girlfriend and I went to watch Gladiator in the cinema.

There was this old guy sat behind us who was taking to us when the previews were on, he said that he was waiting for his son who worked at the cinema.

Just before the film started he got up, said the film was good, but didn't expect him to die at the end, then walked out.

Never wanted to chin someone so much in my life.
steve the meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
10 Years is more than enough time, but I'd go as low as a year.Anyone who really has an interest in seeing a movie should have done so within a year of release.
The only reason I would argue not spoiling a movie that's only a year old is that if they missed in the theater and waiting for DVD or cable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Absolutely not. If you make the decision not to watch a film in a timely fashion you accept the inherent risks in having certain aspects spoiled, simple as that. If it was that important to someone personally they'd have made an effort to see it.

That said if someone makes it clear they haven't seen something and you spoil it anyways thats just rude and disrespectful.
Obviously - this is something that came up in conversation and I used a reference to a situation being like a certain movie twist. It came up organically and then I was yelled at for spoiling said movie. I told him he was being ridiculous because it's an old movie and I had no idea he hadn't seen it.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
The only reason I would argue not spoiling a movie that's only a year old is that if they missed in the theater and waiting for DVD or cable...
Well most movies are released on disc within 4-6 months of opening in the theater, and if it's a big enough movie within 8-10 months on cable nowadays.

A good case in point is Looper. I missed it in theaters, and had been waiting for a decent price drop on the Blu-Ray, but before that happened it started showing on STARZ a couple weeks ago, 7 months after it opened in theaters.

I'm curious, what movie did you spoil?