Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #111
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Gareth Edwards on the alternate Jyn Erso "survives" ending...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/20/1...gareth-edwards
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #112
Luminous
Cyclops

I do think it was a good call for Jyn to ultimately be sacrificed. I still think a random member of Rogue One could have survived though. Again, my vote would have been for Bodhi Rook. A Imperial whose life was changed by this band of rebels.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #113
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I still think a random member of Rogue One could have survived though. Again, my vote would have been for Bodhi Rook. A Imperial whose life was changed by this band of rebels.
Interesting choice and plausible outcome, but counter intuitive to the whole point of Rogue One as in "one" unit. It makes their sacrifice all the more compelling.

What is especially compelling is that Disney signed off on killing 'em all off.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #114
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Interesting choice and plausible outcome, but counter intuitive to the whole point of Rogue One as in "one" unit. It makes their sacrifice all the more compelling.

What is especially compelling is that Disney signed off on killing 'em all off.
Was it stated somewhere that is what the number signifies? Cuz I was under the impression there wasn't any real significance to it other than they were the first and only unit to go "rogue".
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #115
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
And that mission you mention resulted in three hammerhead corvettes being stolen for the Rebellion, one of which was used for ramming the star destroyer in Rogue One.
Yup!

I was geeking out about those when I was watching the film.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #116
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Just watched A New Hope again and the blockaid runner at the end of Rogue One was escaping from the Star Destroyer. I'm assuming it went light speed and then ends up in orbit over Tatooine. So was the Star Destroyer able to follow the blockade runner? Didn't think they could do that unless they installed a homing beacon (e.g. A New Hope). Trying to figure how ANH happens right after Rogue One.
Vader had to get from the Rebel ship to a Star Destroyer, so that took time. I don't recall the Tantive IV jumping to hyperspace when they fled, but it's safe to assume they jumped at some point. The Empire is everywhere, I'm sure Vader put out an APB for a ship matching the description of the Tantive IV. Not to mention they always manage to guesstimate where a ship might have jumped to based on it's trajectory. When the rebels dropped out of light speed they were probably spotted, Vader got there at light speed and gave chase. Boom... ANH!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #117
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Second viewing last night and think I enjoyed it even more. For me this falls into my top 3 SW films. So many little details to absorb.

I just love how the film bridges the gap between the PT & OT and at the same time fills many of the plot holes from A New Hope. I also really appreciate the darker tone. After all this is a dark time where the Empire is at the height of their supremacy so it's very fitting.

In regards to the entire Rogue One team not surviving... I wouldn't want it any other way. The fact that their mission itself was a success was a small miracle. Having any of them pull through on top of that given their situation would've felt like a massive stretch and also would've minimized their sacrifice in my eyes.

On another note I still can't get over how AWESOME the Vader scenes were. Him cutting down those Rebel Troopers felt like it was straight out of a horror film. Never has Vader felt so imposing and terrifying. Plus seeing his lair/castle on Mustafar was a fanboy's dream come true.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #118
Demona
Martian Manhunter

But how could anybody have survived who was anywhere near that base? It would be storyline impossible. They were all stuck there. Either battling or attempting to relay the message.

I can't wrap my mind around how Bodhi would have made it out of the blast zone if he hadn't been grenaded.

And kudos for Disney for allowing the deaths to happen. IMO it makes the most storyline sense for this movie AND the OT.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #119
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Second viewing last night and think I enjoyed it even more. For me this falls into my top 3 SW films. So many little details to absorb.

I just love how the film bridges the gap between the PT & OT and at the same time fills many of the plot holes from A New Hope. I also really appreciate the darker tone. After all this is a dark time where the Empire is at the height of their supremacy so it's very fitting.

In regards to the entire Rogue One team not surviving... I wouldn't want it any other way. The fact that their mission itself was a success was a small miracle. Having any of them pull through on top of that given their situation would've felt like a massive stretch and also would've minimized their sacrifice in my eyes.

On another note I still can't get over how AWESOME the Vader scenes were. Him cutting down those Rebel Troopers felt like it was straight out of a horror film. Never has Vader felt so imposing and terrifying. Plus seeing his lair/castle on Mustafar was a fanboy's dream come true.
And fangirl's

His castle made me think of Snake Mountain from He-Man.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #120
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I've read a lot of hard core SW fans refer to this being the best rendition of Vader so far. Since its unlikely we will see him again unless they make another stand alone story would a collectible of this Vader be the definitive Vader if done right?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote