Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #31
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
On the Rebel Base Mon Monthma asked Organa if he had someone he trusted with getting the plans, he grinned and said I trust her with my life.... or something close to that... I believe he was implying his adopted daughter Leia....
Yeah, I remember that conversation. However, I can't remember if he said that before or after they found out Rogue One had acted on their own. If it's after then it makes more sense. Before, not so much.

Quote:
As for your review, What I enjoyed as a 10 year old I don't enjoy now as a grown adult, that's why I didn't like the prequels.... I was happy they finally gave us an adult version of Star Wars... Not every movie has to have a happy ending... This movie was about sacrifice in order to keep the Rebellion alive....
I don't need all of my movies to have happy endings and I'm not suggesting Jyn and Cassian should have lived happily ever after. I half expected for either one to die actually. But the audience couldn't have one member of Rogue One surivive to carry on the tale of this struggle with them? For one member to have become forever changed by the bravery demonstrated by Jyn or her father? Personally I think it should have been Bodhi.

As for your comment of what you enjoyed as a kid doesn't hold up as an adult, well I agree to some extent. However, for films like Star Wars I think they need to keep in my mind what made them so universally accessible. They were never films that chose one demographic over another. They were films that had something for everyone. And unfortunately I think this film is just little less accessible to a younger audience.

Quote:
I always hated the cheesy parts Lucas put in the movies, from the Award Ceremony at the end of Star Wars to the stupid Ewoks on Endor... And then topping it off with Jar Jar Binks.... JJ Abrams continued it with the Death Star Planet... So it was refreshing to get something different, something along the lines of "The Dirty Dozen" style movie....
Some of those moments are obviously terrible, but you seem to forget that the films are filled with humor and light hearted banter that keeps the films tonally in check. I do think there is room for more mature Star Wars films. For me though I think this was the wrong place to start given it's direct connection to a saga that isn't all doom and gloom.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #32
Vracula
Jedi Order

That Darth Vader fight scene ..... WOW!
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #33
demonhunter
Kingpin

The computer rendering of Peter Cushing as Officer Grand Moff Tarkin was so realistic, I did not suspect it was artificial. It was amazing. However, the last scene with a younger Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia was less convincing.

K2SO is the best droid in the SW saga to me. Very refreshing to have a droid with an attitude, sharp tongue, and quick with witty sarcasm. But at the same time, a lethal killing machine too.

I love James Earl Jones. But much like Adam West reprising his voice over role in the new 1966 animated Batman movie, I couldn't help but notice his age in his voice. He still did an incredible job.

Darth Vader in Rogue One, although his scenes are short, is the deadliest, most scary, and most intimidating Darth Vader in all of the official movies so far. When he appeared on board the Rebel Alliance ship, and as soon the red light from his lightsaber illuminated the darkness and revealed his presence, he just looked like a menacing & merciless god of death. All the moves he used, Force attacks, lightsaber slicing, Force chokes, Force throws, Force disarmment of multiple projectile weapons simultaneously.....it was beautifully choreographed. Combined with the befitting soundtrack theme for that scene, it was terrifying as it was pure slaughter of the Rebel Alliance soldiers.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #34
adee
Green Arrow

I think what this movie lacked was the wonderment. All the previous Star Wars movies I could watch with my kids. This one was geared more towards an adult audience. My son would be bored to death watching this sans the last 45 mins. There was just so much back story and it doesn't hold up as a stand alone movie at all. That's what I liked about Awakens, you could see that movie w/o knowing anything about the previous movies and it would still hold up. Not really the case with this one.

For Star Wars geeks and fanatics who enjoy seeing the tie ins it's great but for new fans who don't know much about the franchise I can see it falling very short and on the verge of boring.

Edit: Just read Luminous review and I think he's spot on. Very much how I felt about the movie as well. It's not that I didn't like it, it just didn't have the same feel as the other movies for me.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #35
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
That Darth Vader fight scene ..... WOW!
Lol "fight" my ass!
testsubject25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #36
Gruson
Suicide Squad

The score was lacking for sure, not memorable.
Also, I realized I didn't even know anyone's name! Another reason the main rebel cast just didn't work for me. They were all so boring IMO and yes, no wonderment or magic.

Even with Ep 7 you knew Poe, BB8, Finn, and Rey.
I just didn't like this movie except for the last 30 minutes or so. All the classic stuff.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #37
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
The score was lacking for sure, not memorable.
Also, I realized I didn't even know anyone's name! Another reason the main rebel cast just didn't work for me. They were all so boring IMO and yes, no wonderment or magic.

Even with Ep 7 you knew Poe, BB8, Finn, and Rey.
I just didn't like this movie except for the last 30 minutes or so. All the classic stuff.

I think they were going for a something different and i expected it would have a different appeal, and might not work for everyone.
I don't think these characters were written to be as accessible and fun, they were battle hardened by warfare and Imperial tyranny in ways we have not seen in SW before, deeds not words would rule the day.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #38
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

I saw Rogue One in a Dolby theater in an AMC. Great projection, but Tarkin and Leia did look off. The uncanny valley had not been not been bridged. Gold leader wasn't on screen enough to get a sense of the CG. I did really enjoy the movie. A lot of planet hopping, but I like the idea that galaxy is vast. I'm really curious how much the movie changed with the reshoots there many shots in the teasers and trailers that didn't end up in the movie.

I am, for one, glad that Rogue One had a different tone than the saga films. That's the point of the stand-alone movies, to explore different aspects of the Star Wars universe and not just to produce more movies of the exact same tone and style.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #39
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Hoping to see this again on Tuesday but my initial thoughts were the opposite to yours. I thought Tarkin looked pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
CGI Tarkin looked awful in my opinion. Leia looked way better. The beginning of the movie is decent. The end is absolutely fantastic. I'll see it again and again just for that. I LOVED seeing Darth Vader in the role of ultimate power. He was so unstoppable, which was amazing. Revenge of the Sith was the only time we got to see Darth Vader in great action, and that was still looking like regular Anakin.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #40
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Just got back from the theatre and I love this movie. Loved it. I gave it a 9/10 for silly little things: poor and unneeded CGI Leia (could have just shown her back), and a poorly put together Vader ensemble in his first appearance. I know I'm not the only one who saw the huge gap where his helmet and suit/dickie are supposed to touch.

I had no problem with the dark tone of this film. It should be dark. When we left off in III, we were treated to the birth of Vader and the birth of dark times. Jedis in hiding and the Empire taking full control. Fast forward some number of years and it's clearly still dark. I don't think there was any other tone for this film to have and I believe the writers and director added light moments where they could. The Empire was in full force in Epi VI so how could this be a light film?

I even found myself holding back tears at the end when Jyn and Cassiad know that they have done all they can. With knowing how the story continues, it makes their sacrifice more touching. Reminded me of an old war film.

Everybody did die for two reasons - it worked with the plot and it also makes it more impactful when the Rebellion wins. We now know and love characters who died fighting the good fight. This movie, IMO, adds to ANH. Makes it a stronger movie in return for their are faces to the sacrifices.

My love of Vader goes without saying. His last scene was AMAZING. Holding a man to the ceiling while slicing down others -- amazing. Pure evil and power. And forever, I could watch his entrance....breathing....the slow glow of his saber illuminating his fearsome frame. EPIC!

And I don't know why people keep saying the OT was written for kids. It really wasn't. It was written for adults and had dark themes even then.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote