Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #21
Royd
Producer
Producer

*Scratches Head* I suspect that it would be too difficult to put together a compreshensive list of artists and which process they prefer to use.

If you like a particular artist's work then you could either ask him/her or put your question to the forum to see if anyone here knows how they create their work. That might be an easier proposition

Plus artists grow and develop and may change their creative process, possibly using more "modern" rather than traditional techniques. Thank goodness most still use traditional techniques! Best,

Royd
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #22
Lizard King
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
*Scratches Head* I suspect that it would be too difficult to put together a compreshensive list of artists and which process they prefer to use.

If you like a particular artist's work then you could either ask him/her or put your question to the forum to see if anyone here knows how they create their work. That might be an easier proposition

Plus artists grow and develop and may change their creative process, possibly using more "modern" rather than traditional techniques. Thank goodness most still use traditional techniques! Best,

Royd
Good idea about the artists forum Royd. While I certainly don't mind being able to correspond with a favorite artist directly, I would feel like I'm bothering them for no good reason. Most of the artists that I have artwork from seem to be using the Blue Pencil method anyway. Like I said in a previous post, it doesn't really bother me one way or the other. However, if I ever sell a piece I would like to provide the correct details to the buyer. I also don't want to be charged more for a Blue Line piece when I think I'm getting the original pencils. It just pays to be informed.
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #23
khazano
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Its not so much penciller as it is the inkers choice really...

Kessel prefers the blueline method. So all his Wieringo covers he did that way. Rob Stull for instance, prefers to do it the old fashioned way, and inks over top Wieringos pencils. Ringo! himself, God rest his soul, I'm sure didn't care which method his work was inked over, as long as it was done with style and class.
khazano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #24
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazano View Post
Its not so much penciller as it is the inkers choice really...

Kessel prefers the blueline method. So all his Wieringo covers he did that way. Rob Stull for instance, prefers to do it the old fashioned way, and inks over top Wieringos pencils. Ringo! himself, God rest his soul, I'm sure didn't care which method his work was inked over, as long as it was done with style and class.
Interesting. I never gave it much thought but I assumed it might have been the artists choice to leave the pencils untouched by the inker.

I really don't like the idea of having 2 pieces floating around of the same cover or interior page. One pencils only and then the blueline that is inked. It drives me completely insane.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #25
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hey Monster,

I've always believed that it's more a case of whatever is easiest and most convenient in respect of getting a book out on time.

While some artists may care about a piece being untouched, I really think it's a work for hire situation and that whatever happens after they complete the pencils is out of their control. Obviously, they may not be happy with a particular inker or colourist but I doubt they have much say in the process.

There are a number of Brazilian artists (eg. Eddy Barrows on DC titles) who are pencilling pages which are inked elsewhere and the originals offered by the agent are solely pencils. Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Interesting. I never gave it much thought but I assumed it might have been the artists choice to leave the pencils untouched by the inker.

I really don't like the idea of having 2 pieces floating around of the same cover or interior page. One pencils only and then the blueline that is inked. It drives me completely insane.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #26
animatedUKfan
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post

Me too, I had been looking at some pencilled art with a view to buying, but the thought that the same piece is in someone else's collection, inked, has put me right off.
I'm going to be looking for inks over pencils from now on.
animatedUKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #27
khazano

I agree. It is VERY annoying to know theres an inked version of your artwork out their somewhere. And other than Ringo! (for what should be painfully obvious reasons), I try to avoid most pages made that way like the plague.

Also, something to remeber, when the blueline method is applied, both the penciller and inker get the full run of their pages returned. WHen its done the old fashioned way, the page return is split 2/3 to the penciller, 1/3 to the inker. So, considering there is a market for blueline inks, especially to those uninformed art collectors, I can see the appeal to numerous inkers to do it this way.

(Plus the fact that, as Royd said, when its done the blueline way, you're no longer FedExing the art all over the country and just sending off scans...)

Spencer and I were talking about this back when Wieringo and Kessels pages were first getting out there in the market place. He told me he was convinced that tens years from then (this was four years ago) that all originals inks were going to be done either the blueline method or soley applied via computer in photoshop... Take it for what you will.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #28
k-9
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

i am waiting on a piece which is pencils onl, the coloured cover maybe by photoshop...am i the only one with this original page or has someone else got a copy of it
k-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #29
khazano

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-9 View Post
i am waiting on a piece which is pencils onl, the coloured cover maybe by photoshop...am i the only one with this original page or has someone else got a copy of it
If you were told the piece was only pencilled and colored than you have the only original. Depending on how old the piece is (like 15+ years...) there may be a color guide cover. Which is a 8x10 photocopy colored with water paints.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #30
k-9
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazano View Post
If you were told the piece was only pencilled and colored than you have the only original. Depending on how old the piece is (like 15+ years...) there may be a color guide cover. Which is a 8x10 photocopy colored with water paints.
the piece is from a brand new comic coming out in a week or 2..all i know is its pencilled,no ink..but obviously the the published comic is colour,which makes me wonder if the colour work is also considered original?

thanks for the help though Khazano
k-9 is offline   Reply With Quote