Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-18-2024, 12:20 PM   #91
pdenham
Teen Titans

I was playing around with grayscale of this just a hour ago myself.

Unfortunately I don't have any apps to fine tune the rotation, so I'll just piggyback on yours for now

A couple things that don't help this render come across (other than the coloring) are the level of shine and highlights in the hair which makes it look like highly polished metal or ultra glossy plastic.
Another thing is that, unlike most other celebrities, people's image of her has been fostered by artist's idealized illustrations of her as much as, or more than, actual photos and film.
That includes Olivia's own voluminous 2D contributions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&Wcomp1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	469.6 KB
ID:	167549   Click image for larger version

Name:	B&Wcomp2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	167550  
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:27 PM   #92
ukshaun
Hercules

@pdenham that's fine..
Check out the lower eyelid. The render lower eyelid looks too curved. Bettie has quite a straight looking lower eyelid.
Also, by making the eye's small, the gap between the eye's will increase, which should in theory make the render look more like Bettie.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:30 PM   #93
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I think we need to see a full reveal before forming an opinion on it. Seeing a digital sculpt is a little misleading and doesn?t always translate well.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:34 PM   #94
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberhagen View Post
These reactions are probably why we don?t see more work in progress posts.
Personally, I have never asked to see wip stuff. I am not an art director or a sculptor. Show me what you want to sell me and I will decide. Sure I have opinions on this stuff, but needing to feel like I am on the creative team has never appealed to me.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:38 PM   #95
aadroban
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post

I was playing around with grayscale of this just a hour ago myself.

Unfortunately I don't have any apps to fine tune the rotation, so I'll just piggyback on yours for now

A couple things that don't help this render come across (other than the coloring) are the level of shine and highlights in the hair which makes it look like highly polished metal or ultra glossy plastic.
Another thing is that, unlike most other celebrities, people's image of her has been fostered by artist's idealized illustrations of her, as much as, or more than, actual photos and film.
That includes Olivia's own voluminous 2D contributions.
Nobody wants this more natural look for her. Make it like the poster image from earlier in this thread, and this will be a knockout. That's going to require her to listen to feedback and adjust the eyes and chin specifically. I could care less about "authenticity" if it makes the statue look undesirable.
aadroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:58 PM   #96
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeKills View Post
Having just bought Frankie Reborn?Maybe I?m crazy is it just me or is this more or less the exact same sculpt from the neck down?
I notice that too. It looks quite similar. It could be the same body reused from that sculpt.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 06:15 PM   #97
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Knowing exactly the reference photo the headsculpt is based on and comparing it to the photo, the work-in-progress headsculpt is not too bad, but not great either.

Knowing there will be much tweaking to be done, I am not too concerned at this point.

While all the facial features seem close to the reference photo, I find them a little too strong and a little too large, but not by much.

The main issue I see is the absence of femininity and sex appeal which are quite critical to a statue like this piece. It looks a little masculine to me.

I would like to see the front view of the headsculpt. It will give a better impression as to how close the likeness actually is.

If I could give Olivia one advice it would be: take your time, no rush, work on the likeness until it is perfect from all angles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	page 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	167576   Click image for larger version

Name:	page 2.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	167577   Click image for larger version

Name:	page 3.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	167578   Click image for larger version

Name:	page 4.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	167579   Click image for larger version

Name:	page 5.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	167580  

Name:	page 6.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	167581  
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:54 PM   #98
CoffeeKills
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post

Side by side grey scale.
Feature wise it looks all there i cant really see anything thing i would change comparing. So yea maybe its the shadowing around the facial features and gloss making it look so off.

Edit: Eyebrows could be sized down just a bit imo.
CoffeeKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:03 PM   #99
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

I like the portrait...her glare is as if she wants to rip my damn clothes off...and that's fine by me
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:10 PM   #100
CoffeeKills
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
I notice that too. It looks quite similar. It could be the same body reused from that sculpt.
I have Red Sonja on preorder. This has my interest peaked but i would cancel RS if i did pick this up. So if its to similar to FR Im going to stick with RS Im thinking.
CoffeeKills is offline   Reply With Quote