Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #31
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I just thought, Chris Evans played two different Marvel characters.
Chris Evans played Johnny Storm in Fantastic 4 (2005)
Chris Evans played Captain America in Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Yes, why I said "within the MCU" as the Fantastic FOur have yet to be in it.

Micheal B Jordan was also Johnny Storm and later played Killmonger in Black Panther.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #32
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
Yes, but FF movie was before the Iron Man MCU. So not really the same universe or setting.

I see your point but having the actor who played Black Widow also play Captain Marvel would be really weird and confusing to most people.
Rebecca Romijn played Mystique in X-Men (2000)
Jennifer Lawrence played Mystique in X-Men: First Class (2011)

I wonder why that was?
Was Rebecca offered the role in 2011, or did they want a bigger name, a bigger talent, and got Lawrence onboard?
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #33
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:

I wonder why that was?
Was Rebecca offered the role in 2011, or did they want a bigger name, a bigger talent, and got Lawrence onboard?
Given that First Class went back in time they wanted a younger version of Mystique (Rebecca was 28 in 2000, so she would have been 39 in 2011). Plus Lawrence (21 at the time) was a hot commodity coming off Hunger Games, unfortunately she phoned in her performance and from what I read constantly complained about having to wear the blue makeup and prosthetics to the point that in future movies she was hardly blue and when she was it only showed her face with the blue makeup as they kept clothes on her to cover her body...

I liked Lawrence in Hunger Games but have disliked her in everything else she's been in...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #34
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Given that first class went back in time they wanted a younger version of her. Plus Lawrence was a hot commodity coming off Hunger Games, unfortunately she phoned in her performance and from what I read constantly complained about having to wear the blue makeup and prosthetics to the point that in future movies she was hardly blue and when she was it only showed her face with the blue makeup as they kept clothes on her to cover her body...

I liked Lawrence in Hunger Games but have disliked her in everything else she's been in...
With Rebecca Romijn i had no idea who she was thus she was, atleast in my eyes, Mystique.

With Jennifer Lawrence, even with the blue make-up on, all i could see was Jennifer Lawrence. I couldn't get past that.

Some actors/actresses sometimes are bigger than the part they are playing, this it can get in the way.

Along with many other great actors/actresses, that's why i like Scarlett Johansson. She plays her parts to the point where as viewer, most of the time, we see the character they are playing, rather than the celebrity they are.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #35
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:

I wonder why that was?
Because it was a soft reboot/prequel?

Same reason Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen had younger versions of themselves played by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender.

I'm not saying it is impossible they recast Captain Marvel, but every sign points to the MCU in particular trying to keep the same people in roles since 2012.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #36
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:

I wonder why that was?
They certainly didn't get a bigger talent. JL was horrible in the role.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #37
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
They certainly didn't get a bigger talent. JL was horrible in the role.
Maybe the powers that be perceived her as a bigger talent? ..or at the very least perceived her name as bigger, and a positive to slap on the posters etc.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #38
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Maybe the powers that be perceived her as a bigger talent? ..or at the very least perceived her name as bigger, and a positive to slap on the posters etc.
in first class no, that was one of her first big movies and pretty sure she had the role before Hunger Games made her a star, but that is certainly the reason they pretty much focused the next couple X-Movies around Mystique.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #39
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I really didnt like the Captain Marvel movie, I wasn't overly impressed with Brie but maybe she'll be better in the sequel, for me the story was just ridiculous, and not in a good way

Rebecca was so much better as Mystique, better costume, better story and writing, more respect for the character, and actually...you know...villainous
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #40
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
in first class no, that was one of her first big movies and pretty sure she had the role before Hunger Games made her a star, but that is certainly the reason they pretty much focused the next couple X-Movies around Mystique.
yep your right, First Class came out a year before Hunger Games...

Rebecca set the bar pretty high with her portrayal of Mystique, she didn't say much, but she was deadly... In First Class they watered down Mystique and Jennifer was a horrible fit for the character...

But All those prequels had some terrible casting choices... Sophie Turner (Jean Grey), Lana Condor (Jubilee) and Olivia Munn (Psylocke) were horrible also...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote