Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 09-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
DD_fan96
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

what causes paint to stay tacky?

I painted a venom horizon kit like a year ago with grey primer, folk art paint and sealed it with Krylon matte sealer, and it still has a tackiness to it.

What did I do wrong? Is there something I need to do to fix this problem?
DD_fan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Darth Pain
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Is Krylon sealer Acrylic?
Darth Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Its the Krylon. i have used that stuff in the past during my days in college. Still have some old painting that are tacky with that stuff coated onto it. It almost seems like that stuff is a wax, where it can sorta soften then get hard.

Can try to get rid of the tacky by misting some Testors dull cote over it. now when i say mist, keep the can like a foot away and do light coats on it. If you get to close and spray heavy, it can melt the krylon.

If you are unsure about the testors, there is some other acrylic matte coats you can use from various companies like createx, freestyle, badger, tamiya you can push thru a airbrush.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Soft Vinyl will react to enamels (and some other solvent spray can type paints/primers)
in this way and cause a chemical reaction where the paint will remain tacky. Krylon is
one that seems to react with most soft vinyls.

The best way to be safe is to use a water bourne primer and sealer over water based
paints. Freestyle makes a water based acrylic primer and sealer.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Soft Vinyl will react to enamels (and some other solvent spray can type paints/primers)
in this way and cause a chemical reaction where the paint will remain tacky. Krylon is
one that seems to react with most soft vinyls.

The best way to be safe is to use a water bourne primer and sealer over water based
paints. Freestyle makes a water based acrylic primer and sealer.
I have used that krylon over charcoal and pastel drawings (cause i was poor in college and all i had and was on sale) and stuff stayed tacky. Its just a poor chemical is all, least that was my conclusion.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
DD_fan96
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Many thanks.

I am thinking about doing the Testors dullcoat dusting, is that better than the Createx matte through the airbrush? I also bought a set of freestyle paints, I may have a sealer in there.

Also, what is the Krylon matte spray good for? I only ask because I have about 6 cans of it!
DD_fan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I have a one of a kind bust that is primered and has the same tackiness ... I have left it unpainted as I am afraid of ruining it ... which I very much do not want to do!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_fan96 View Post
Many thanks.

I am thinking about doing the Testors dullcoat dusting, is that better than the Createx matte through the airbrush? I also bought a set of freestyle paints, I may have a sealer in there.

Also, what is the Krylon matte spray good for? I only ask because I have about 6 cans of it!
Well that krylon stuff was great for class projects in college, specially freshmen year. But a lot of professors who did professional paintings sealed their stuff with top of the line chemicals.

So if you are working on some charcoal, pencil, fine art 2D stuff, it can work wonders on it and help the item last a long time.

But for statues best to stay away. I have been hearing some great things about the matt clear coat from freestyle (kit builders magazine paints) to clear statues. Prob will order myself some in the coming weeks.