Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-19-2018, 10:58 PM   #301
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

I just wrote Jae and asked for a refund. Come August it will have been 4 years. Supposedly its been close to being done for some time, I've seen pencils, but I've lost any confidence in ever seeing it in my hands.
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #302
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcusprime View Post
I just wrote Jae and asked for a refund. Come August it will have been 4 years. Supposedly its been close to being done for some time, I've seen pencils, but I've lost any confidence in ever seeing it in my hands.

Good for you, sucks that he never came thru but at least you will get your money back.
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #303
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Listen we have been posting on here for years not to pay ahead for at home commissions. You guys still do it after pretty much universal disappointment from almost every artist. It's your own fault as far as I'm concerned.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #304
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Blah.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #305
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Listen we have been posting on here for years not to pay ahead for at home commissions. You guys still do it after pretty much universal disappointment from almost every artist. It's your own fault as far as I'm concerned.
I can appreciate what you're saying, but your tone is condescending. I had no knowledge of Lee's rep at the time I made the commission. I'm not crying 'Woe is me!', I'm just updating the status of my commission. I own my ---- pretty well.
And I highly doubt that there is 'universal disappointment from almost every artist'. I'd say a good 95% of my commissions are very smooth and trouble free. And the ones that weren't, well, like Lee, I had no prior knowledge of complaints.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #306
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
I can appreciate what you're saying, but your tone is condescending. I had no knowledge of Lee's rep at the time I made the commission. I'm not crying 'Woe is me!', I'm just updating the status of my commission. I own my ---- pretty well.
And I highly doubt that there is 'universal disappointment from almost every artist'. I'd say a good 95% of my commissions are very smooth and trouble free. And the ones that weren't, well, like Lee, I had no prior knowledge of complaints.

I know it comes off rough and I apologize for that. Unfortunately I'm trying to make a harsh point from experience of pretty much getting jacked from just about everyone. Many of us have been on this forum for over 10 years. While it maybe a different artists it seems like it's always the same dance.

It's pretty much normal to say I've been waiting 2-4 years for said commission. So again sorry for my tone, just getting to the point that these artists are turds.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #307
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:

95%?

With odds like that, you're either very lucky or very patient. The harsh stories we've been hearing over the years would understandably make many commissioners gunshy. I've been buying artwork in one form or another since the 90s. In that time, only two artists produced the artwork on time. On the other occasions, the artists were either late or very late or rudely took advantage of the process. There's a range. On a number of occasions, I actually had to go through paypal to get my cash back because the artist did what we often hear of them doing.

I love artwork as much as the next guy. However, at this stage, I have to look at an artist the same way I do any other contractor. I'm okay paying a percentage up front providing the commission is set to begin. Once the games start, I feel compelled to pull the plug. There is so much artwork to be had out there. I can easily find ways to spend the cash elsewhere. I won't let the hero worship get the better of me.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #308
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

Well, I can't help you there, that number represents my experience. There was Jason Craig, who just disappeared, Chris Sprouse took a while, but he came through, and now Jae. It hasn't been perfect, but there it is. YMMV.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #309
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Don, thanks for providing the update that you are asking Jae for a full refund. I would appreciate further updates if you are willing to provide. Jae’s laundry list of disappointed commissions is long but there is always the “Jae will provide a full refund if requested” response that seems to be accepted as a universal truth. I hope to hear this play out as such – hoping that you get a quick return of your funds.

As for the more generalizations about commission experiences, I am in the camp of 95% of my experiences being positive and probably even higher than that. Anyone who has commissioned art at rate of 95% bad experience rate … I would have to ask why you didn’t get out after 2 or 3 commissions – who needs that level of frustration.

From my experience, commissions are definitely a dance that you sometimes have to play with an artist. You have to be good at communicating yourself. You sometimes have to be patient. You sometimes have to wait a little longer than you might want to. You sometimes have to understand that things do happen that cause delays. The art of commissioning is being a good communicator and discerning where/when to draw a line, how to do so tactfully, and how to treat the artist like you would like to be treated. Sometimes that means giving a pass for a spell and sometimes that means putting them on blast – every commission has a slightly different route to completion.

MB – I get your frustration. I have seen some of your deals go south and understand the hard line that you draw but that isn’t the experience for everyone. And, not all of us have been here 10 years and not everyone has seen this play out before. We all go through that “squirrel”” phase of collecting where we leap before we look – it’s part of paying the tuition for your education in the comic art collecting arena. This forum is set up to talk art, commiserate about deals, share information, and yes, educate the newer members … even if the advice has been given multiple times before.

The best general advice for commissions is to pay via PayPal (NOT as a gift) if paying up front. I would just eat the 3% (or whatever it is) fee as it will make you much more comfortable in the case that the commission draws out longer than you want it to.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:12 PM   #310
freeform
The Spirit

Gift is definitely not happening for me
freeform is offline   Reply With Quote