Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
rychehitman
Galactus

"Porkchop" Offensive?? Who knew??

No 'PorkChop' for baseball mascot
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ALLENTOWN, Pa. -- Two days after naming its mascot "PorkChop," the Philadelphia Phillies' new Triple-A affiliate abruptly dropped the moniker after receiving complaints from Hispanics that it was offensive.

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs, whose mascot is a large, furry pig, had selected PorkChop from more than 7,300 fan submissions. The team, which begins play in 2008, announced Monday that the mascot will be named "Ferrous" instead.

General Manager Kurt Landes said he heard from several Hispanics who said PorkChop was derogatory.

"We were really unaware of any negative connotations with the word 'pork chop,'" he said. "If it offended a few, it's a few too many."

Guillermo Lopez, vice president of the Latino Leadership Alliance, said he was called "pork chop" when he worked at Bethlehem Steel decades ago.

"If my parents were alive, they'd be having fits," said Lopez, among those who complained to the team. "It meant much more to them than it does to Puerto Ricans now in the Lehigh Valley."

The online Urban Dictionary, which accepts entries from readers, says Pork Chop is a racist term used to refer to people of Puerto Rican descent.

PorkChop had been submitted by 32 fans. The replacement name, Ferrous - from the Latin word "ferrum," or iron - received the most fan nominations, with 235.

The team moved to Allentown from Ottawa - where it was known as the Lynx - following the 2007 season. Construction is wrapping up on a new stadium in east Allentown.

In March 2006, Major League Soccer renamed its Houston franchise the Dynamo after critics said the first nickname it chose, Houston 1836, was anti-Mexican because it referred to the year Texas gained its independence by defeating Mexico.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...me_change.html

I see a WHOLE LOT of Restaurants spending $$$ to re-print their menu's!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
IronFist
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

Just another bit of proof that for any given thing, someone, somewhere finds even it offensive.

I'm a tall guy, and you know what? I know for a fact that there are short people who find that personally hurtful and offensive. Should I find out if there's a surgery I can get to make me shorter?
IronFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Thats stupid... I'm Latino... Here in NY some ppl are nicknamed porkchop or chuleta(porkchop in spanish)...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Why would pork chop be considered offensive by anyone? That's just silly.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
cblakey1
Cyclops

Only if it ain't cooked right at the restaurant.

Undercooking it and giving me the trots is just downright offensive.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
Trilogy

Just more proof that the world`s gone mad.
Trilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
Only if it ain't cooked right at the restaurant.

Undercooking it and giving me the trots is just downright offensive.
lol. Definitely!
Trilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
Makkari1
Cyclops

These people are looking to make some noise. If they had a full time job they would not have time to be offended. Of course this email about them may be offensive and for that I am truly not sorry, get a life people.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

[QUOTE=rychehitman;1565391

"We were really unaware of any negative connotations with the word 'pork chop,'" he said. "If it offended a few, it's a few too many."

![/QUOTE]

I think this is the point. If you don't know you don't know. You don't have to intend to offend someone for that to be the consequence. My high school team was the Warriors long after my graduation a native american student found it offensive and we became the Falcons. I didn't and don't like it but someone found it legitimately offensive, I can live without the team being called the Warriors even though there are several types of Warriors. I personally don't mind trying to find ways NOT to offend people. This really shouldn't be news but it is. At least people can have dialogue about something like this without someone being thrown in jail and given 500 lashes.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

It's just more fascism.
Welcome to the new Global unity, where everyone must think alike and everyone must act like good little
drones who have to appease everyone.
Heaven help you if you speak your mind(no matter how unpopular), or act in a manner
unbecoming to our great Politically Correct totalitarian
society.
Say bye bye to all your freedoms ladies and gents.
The first thing to go is usually freedom of speech.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote