Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 05-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #41
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Yeah... Unless the problems you listed are actually your own, then I would stop playing chinese whispers!
And I can think of a company straight away that has as many problems. Goes by the name of Sideshow. Can think of another from reading the posts/threads on here but seeing as I have never owned any of their items, not my place to say
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #42
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I must be in the minority as none of my Hot Toys have any issues.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #43
SONICobra
Batman

I had to throw my comedian away because the rubber vest was melting
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 PM   #44
mickey
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
I had to throw my comedian away because the rubber vest was melting
Saw a post about Black Widow having melting issues too. Her suit stuck on her boot... It looked bad.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #45
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey View Post
Saw a post about Black Widow having melting issues too. Her suit stuck on her boot... It looked bad.
Which Black Widow?
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:05 AM   #46
mickey
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Which Black Widow?
The Avengers versions
Old 05-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #47
COI

Just started collecting Hot Toys several months ago. Based on what I've received, I'm impressed with the quality and want more. The head sculpts are remarkable and the paint-jobs are impeccable. The way they do skin and eyes is light years ahead of most statues I've seen, as is the detail on the mixed media costumes.

That being said, longevity is a concern for me, although I'm one of those boring collectors who doesn't pose them very much (I suck at it), so I'm not too worried about creasing and such. Deteriorating rubber/plastic does scare me, although it's possible that they used lower grade materials on the older figures. I guess time will tell.

These things are intricate and come with lots of parts, and collectors seem to have high expectations regarding articulation, and with more complexity you get more opportunity for things to go wrong.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #48
mickey
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Just started collecting Hot Toys several months ago. Based on what I've received, I'm impressed with the quality and want more. The head sculpts are remarkable and the paint-jobs are impeccable. The way they do skin and eyes is light years ahead of most statues I've seen, as is the detail on the mixed media costumes.

That being said, longevity is a concern for me, although I'm one of those boring collectors who doesn't pose them very much (I suck at it), so I'm not too worried about creasing and such. Deteriorating rubber/plastic does scare me, although it's possible that they used lower grade materials on the older figures. I guess time will tell.

These things are intricate and come with lots of parts, and collectors seem to have high expectations regarding articulation, and with more complexity you get more opportunity for things to go wrong.
I don't own one yet, but already pre-ordered some.
Checked out some display last weekend and yeah, they look really good. I'm more of a static fig collector, but knowing that Hot Toys are posable, I might go a li'l crazy on how far I can pose them
But I'm careful with my stuff too, so hopefully I won't break 'em... The longevity is what concerns me as well. I've got some posable figs that I never played with, and rarely took out of their boxes, but one day , when I finally thought of posing them a little, a knee broke Those were Square-Enix stuffs though. I'm expecting Hot Toys not to break easily.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #49
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
I've got some posable figs that I never played with, and rarely took out of their boxes, but one day , when I finally thought of posing them a little, a knee broke Those were Square-Enix stuffs though. I'm expecting Hot Toys not to break easily.
That is another thing with these "straight out of the box breakages" People will buy figures & not open them, maybe because they are buying them as invesments or just don't have room. They don't check to see if everything is alright, then might store them in an area that is not suitable for them - climate wise.
ALWAYS check your figures as soon as you receive them, even if you are not gonna display them straight away
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #50
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
The Avengers versions
Yikes! I happened to skip that one. I have the Civil War and the Age of Ultron versions. I haven't taken them apart to were I could see any melty underneath. Really bad material reaction.

There is definitely a lack of good engineering going on in the collectibles industry. Definitely as collectibles become more complex, integrate mixed media and use new materials, this is going to happen more often.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote