Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 08-31-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
xterminatr
Doh!

All About Bases

Hi people of SF, I'd like to know how you guys approach the topic of making bases for sculptures.

Originally, I would use plyboard and manually saw the thing. We have an electronic saw at the office which makes a cleaner finish but I don't have access to it all the time.

I've experimented with fiberglass resin before and got a pretty decent finish, although stickiness always poses a problem, an indicator that the hardener:resin ratio was off I think.

On top of that, I've experimented with numerous air dry clays (DAS, critter clay, unbranded, etc) as I don't want to spend any polymer clay on simply bases.

Here's a sample of a fiberglass resin i casted from a metal container lid. I initially made the base before drilling it and placing the threaded rod, but it became a bit wobbly.

=

Any input you can share would be much appreciated.
xterminatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Lay-Z-boy
Sinister Six

You might want to try to buy acrylic bases instead and avoid the hassle of working with resin, I know it might be cheaper to do it yourself but the time you invest in making them yourself is money too.
Here is one site I buy acrylic bases from when I need them:

http://www.displaycaseart.com/produc...-bases/page/2/

Lay-Z-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

you can buy resin specific containers on ebay, or find dog dishes at a dollar store that have some give and can make resin bases.

i did a video on it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0QU...Hym4GLNj0HIc5w

its how i make my bases for customs, just mix A and B together and then pour in and let sit.

Smooth On makes resin #300 that sets in 10min, or you can buy other brands on ebay as well.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

It's all about that base, 'bout that base,...
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
xterminatr
Doh!

Lay-Z-boy: aw man, that'll hurt my budget There's only one store I know locally that makes acrylic stands, and they're not cheap, not to mention it takes them 3 weeks to make one mold. But thanks for the info!

Vince-Vell: Wow, that output is amazing! And the mixing of broken resin parts was genius. What I'm currently working with is fiberglass, which makes it a little tricky because mixing ratio for fg resin:hardener is 100:1 or 100:3 :\

Cool page btw, I subscribed and will browse through them soon. I plan on making designed bases as well for future projects, I did a rocky base before using a cheap $1/pound air dry clay. Results were okay, but they tend to crack.

Thanks for the share much appreciated

Astounding: Yes, no treble please
xterminatr is offline   Reply With Quote