Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Rocket
Art of Mod

Peter David was the first "A list" comic creator I met that I got tounge tied with. Artists I find a lot easier to talk to, probably because they dont have the same layered contribution to a story that a writer will.

Stan Lee, well it's lucky he is the charismatic man that he is because he's seen a million people lose their sh1t with him in the past so he knows all the tricks to make you at ease.

Perez was so open and flamboyant that you're put at ease immediatley also.

I was a little worried waiting to meet Claremont, he has a rep for being frosty at times, but once he saw I knew my stuff he opened right up. (Ask him what he thinks of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men)
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Peter David was the first "A list" comic creator I met that I got tounge tied with. Artists I find a lot easier to talk to, probably because they dont have the same layered contribution to a story that a writer will.

Stan Lee, well it's lucky he is the charismatic man that he is because he's seen a million people lose their sh1t with him in the past so he knows all the tricks to make you at ease.

Perez was so open and flamboyant that you're put at ease immediatley also.

I was a little worried waiting to meet Claremont, he has a rep for being frosty at times, but once he saw I knew my stuff he opened right up. (Ask him what he thinks of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men)
I had a pretty good experience with Claremont too. I'd heard the horror stories but he was pretty cool when I met him. Guys who come to mind that are extremely cool were EBAS, Tony Moore, Ben Templesmith, Riley Rossmo, Francesco Mattina, Tim Sale, Clay Mann, Chris Uminga......and the list goes on, I actually haven't had a bad in-person con experience before.
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
risingstar
Jedi Order

When I met Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons back in 1983, I was completely star struck. It was an amazing feeling to meet these guys as I grew up loving them. I recently met Stan Lee and I was truly moved. While yes, they're human just like the rest of us, what makes them a bit different are their enormous and meaningful contributions (at least to me). I imagine if I ever met Springsteen, I would be moved even more. Nothing wrong with that.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
snappahead
Producer
Producer

I can't say starstruck, but tongue tied sounds right. Meeting guys who've influenced me so much can be nerve wracking. Travis Charest and Bernie Wrightson in particular. Didn't know what the hell to say to those guys. That's why I don't get all that excited anymore. I know I'm just going to clam up like an a$$hole.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #15
ecthelion
Hydra

I know what you mean. But my first encounter with a comic artist was a few years ago with Barry Kitson, who is probably the most down to earth person in comics. Through him we met Adi Granov, which for me was really a big deal as I am big for the Iron Man movies/costume. Adi is also extremely nice, and his wife is lovely too. We went to dinner with a few of the artists, really good time with really normal people.

Somewhat related story:
I remember there was this French guy coming up to Adi, grabbing his portfolio and saying 'I'll buy this, this, this this and this, you want cash?' (about 10K or so). That evening I sat with Adi and said to him he'd made some good money today. His reaction was just meh, probably not. He though the guy was just getting overly excited and the Frenchies wife would never let him spend that kind of money on some comic art. Classic.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote