Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 06-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #91
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Mexico were the better team up until they scored but they blew it. They seem to have a level they cannot get past. This Dutch team hammered Spain the current World Champions. The conditions did not suit them yet when they went behind they could have scored at least 3-4 times. Mexico created little or nothing when they went in front. They probably have the best goalkeeper in the tournament.

The outside assistance was Mexico folding.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #92
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
It was a bad call that stemmed from Robben's constant diving. He was doing it the entire match. It finally paid off. I blame FIFA for their archaic views on a replay/challenge system. It's a sport whose outcome should be determined by the two teams competing against each other. Not by acting or human error.

The Netherlands were outplayed in this game, and they won with outside assistance.
I agree with you about the divings. Sadly, this World Cup has seen a lot of them. Really bad calls by dreadful referees. FIFA needs to change the rules and get with the technology (already in football, basketball and in other sports) to stay with the times.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #93
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
I agree. Mexico could have done more after the first goal, but instead they retrieved to their half of the field. The Dutch were hungrier and braver on the offense after that moment and they didn't let up. At the end, the best team won.

Once again, my team is defeated on the round of 16 for lack of confidence and precision.
I agree that Mexico made the mistake of retreating in the second half. Ultimately I guess Mexico only have themselves to blame for allowing so many opportunities for the Dutch to scramble in the box. Still though, it wasn't skill that decided the game. It was human error.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #94
Magneto
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Very sad for Mexico to lose the game this way, they were the better team for the most part of the game. Football can be so cruel
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #95
El Pulento
The InJustice League

Damn Penalties!!! Chile out of the tournoment!! They played better than Brasil IMO... I was sharing for Mexico!!! Robben was looking for that penalty the entire Game!!.. Now Greece vs Costa Rica!!! Vamos Costa Rica!!!!
El Pulento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #96
vinnnie
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
It was a penalty. Mexico only have themselves to blame . Robbin could have had another penalty but stead on his feet. From going in front they retreated into their shells instead of going for the win. This Dutch team could go all the way. Maybe 4th time lucky.
but Mexico played well also
I felt bad for Chile...
vinnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #97
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Well that was some more soul crushing football tonight.....I get tense and my team isn't even playing!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:57 AM   #98
heykool69
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I don't even watch soccer. But my sons and I watched the game on a Latin channel that i don't even understand what the the announcer was saying I felt so bad for Mexico to lose the game under 8 minutes time when they had it.
heykool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:14 AM   #99
moonmonkey
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

mexico did it to themselves ... they stopped playing.. whether the last call was a penalty or not mexico gave that opportunity to holland by staying on their side not wanting to play in fear of giving up a goal and what happened they still lost ... you simply cannot ride out the game by just defending and not attacking and expect to win ..

robben was looking for that penalty the whole game and it was bound to happen by mexico giving holland one opportunity after another by not counter attacking

mexico just doesnt have what it takes to win when it matters against tougher/better teams... germany brazil argentina columbia holland usa and any other team with common sense will never just stop attacking and just focus on defending just because their up 1-0

it was a good game and too bad for mexico but players make plays and they also create instances where the ref has to make a call .. thats sports in general

whether the ref makes a good or bad call thats another story and thats how the cards were dealt
moonmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #100
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

i'm still fuming over yesterday game with mexico....darn it
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote