Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotwilight View Post

The most bothersome bit is how often it's done "accidentally" by writers who don't quite understand what they're writing, in this case it's almost always female on male rape.

For example Nightwing's been raped twice that I know of (once by Mirage who impersonated Starfire, and Tarantula who forced herself on him when he couldn't resist which the writers has tried to rgue wasn't rape he just didn't want it...which ummm...) and in a recent story Aquaman was similarly tricked/raped by Siren who pretended to be Mera.
That's a good point...female on male rape does happen in comics, and goes totally unnoticed most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
I never read Kick Ass. It's been on my to buy list for a long time, when I google it to raise my interest, it just doesn't happen. That rape.. or at least parts of it is on google. I get the impression that Miller only does comics for shock factor and has nothing else to offer.
I quite liked the first Kick-Ass series and first movie. Second movie was ok, and the second series was ok until that point...Millar totally lost me after that because it was totally for shock factor and offered nothing to the story itself. I haven't even thought about reading the third series.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #12
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
The most troubling example of rape in comics that I can recall is Black Cat in "Evil That Men Do". Written by Kevin Smith and illustrated by the Dodsons. It wasn't something I expected as I read the story, that it would impact the chief heroine, so it was a blow to the gut when issue #3 ended.
Man how I hate this story.

And talking about 'spider girls' in the infamous Past Sins story(another I hate with passion), Norman Osborn raped Gwen? how do you guys considered?

Another event I hate was when Tigra was beaten up(and maybe more, I don't remember correctly) by a group of villains in New Avengers by Bendis.

I really got upset when I saw/read these events in Comics.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #13
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post

And talking about 'spider girls' in the infamous Past Sins story(another I hate with passion), Norman Osborn raped Gwen? how do you guys considered?

Another event I hate was when Tigra was beaten up(and maybe more, I don't remember correctly) by a group of villains in New Avengers by Bendis.

I haven't seen that story in some long while but I don't think Norman raped her or such in it. It's a hell of an awkward story regardless but I don't believe that was implied.

Tigra if I recall was "simply" beat up horrendously, no rape implications in that.

In a side note one thing that surprised me was finding out even Kate Bishop/Hawkeye had implied rape as part of her "origin" to an extent. It completely blew past my radar too. It was tame compared to the stuff that outright says it or shows it but apparently she was assaulted in a park at night, which led her to training/ later becoming Hawkeye but she wasn't robbed and talked about how violated it made her feel. It wasn't until a few readings that it occured to me.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #14
gomur
The Tick

Quote:

Never read the Gwen story.

I do remember the Tigra story in New Avengers. No rape but a pretty bad beating by Hood. They had Tigra "pay him back" in later issues, but most likely a response to how distasteful the character was treated. Looking back, would it have been as shocking if it were man on man or woman on man violence? Maybe not. However, the Hood's actions were pretty disturbing, highlighted by the man on woman assault. And now I wonder if it had been younger eyes picking up that comic...
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #15
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
The most troubling example of rape in comics that I can recall is Black Cat in "Evil That Men Do". Written by Kevin Smith and illustrated by the Dodsons. It wasn't something I expected as I read the story, that it would impact the chief heroine, so it was a blow to the gut when issue #3 ended.
I never read this. I did google for screen shots of this because I like Dodsons art. Even though I like Dodson's art I will never pick up this comic because of the rape. It ruins the character I grew up with and I won't let that happen. I only buy comic with Black Cat that stays true to her strong and cunning character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
That's a good point...female on male rape does happen in comics, and goes totally unnoticed most of the time.

I quite liked the first Kick-Ass series and first movie. Second movie was ok, and the second series was ok until that point...Millar totally lost me after that because it was totally for shock factor and offered nothing to the story itself. I haven't even thought about reading the third series.
True, Gil on guy rape is not that big a deal oddly enough.

Quote:

Norman Osborn didn't rape Gwen, it was concensual... In this case it does not make it any less weird... In a way Gwen Stacy was raped metaphorically speaking because the writer soiled Gwen Stacy with the bad writing.

I have J M Strackzynski in high regard as a writer, but this story is the worst he has ever done, not only did he soil Gwen Stacy with this story, he also soiled his own reputation as a good writer if you ask me.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Have to admit I've to this day never thought much about Tigra's beating. I thought it was ridiculous overall (and made simply to try to prop up the Hood...somehow...by attacking a fairly minor Avenger...) but the fact it was man on woman violence never really even bothered me and still doesn't in that case.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #17
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Quote:
Have to admit I've to this day never thought much about Tigra's beating. I thought it was ridiculous overall (and made simply to try to prop up the Hood...somehow...by attacking a fairly minor Avenger...) but the fact it was man on woman violence never really even bothered me and still doesn't in that case.
I never read any of the new Avengers comics. I google the hightlights if one can call them that.

Newer Avengers comics simply deviate too much from the Avengers comics I like from the 70's and 80's.

I did google the beating of Tigra. If Marvel realy wanted to prop up the Hood beating up a woman is not the way to do this... Unless Marvel wanted to make a villains with no morals that is capable of doing anything. I can't imagine this Hood character ever reaching the appreciation Dr. Doom or Magneto gets.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #18
Babytoxie
Ghost

What really drove it over the edge for me was Identity Crisis. That book almost completely put me off of superhero comics.

Regarding female on male rape, another case is James Robinson's Starman. I feel that Robinson made a huge mistake by having The Mist's daughter drug and rape Jack Knight, bear his son, and use his son as a tool against him. It's an awful (and unnecessary) element that mars an otherwise amazing story.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:00 PM   #19
THECLOWN KNIGHT

Quote:
I haven't seen that story in some long while but I don't think Norman raped her or such in it. It's a hell of an awkward story regardless but I don't believe that was implied.

Tigra if I recall was "simply" beat up horrendously, no rape implications in that.

In a side note one thing that surprised me was finding out even Kate Bishop/Hawkeye had implied rape as part of her "origin" to an extent. It completely blew past my radar too. It was tame compared to the stuff that outright says it or shows it but apparently she was assaulted in a park at night, which led her to training/ later becoming Hawkeye but she wasn't robbed and talked about how violated it made her feel. It wasn't until a few readings that it occured to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Norman Osborn didn't rape Gwen, it was concensual... In this case it does not make it any less weird... In a way Gwen Stacy was raped metaphorically speaking because the writer soiled Gwen Stacy with the bad writing.

I have J M Strackzynski in high regard as a writer, but this story is the worst he has ever done, not only did he soil Gwen Stacy with this story, he also soiled his own reputation as a good writer if you ask me.
To this day I regret read that awful story but if I remember correctly wasn't Gwen was atracted to Norman because of the green goblin formula made him a chick magnet(like Axe you may say!) and he took advantage of that.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #20
THECLOWN KNIGHT

I found curious that the Post that started all was about a Bendis story, then the tasteless event of Tigra too.....and another of Bendis was the Sentry's wife murder if I remenber correctly....