Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
DinoEye
Doh!

London Film & Comic Con 2014 questions (sketches/commissions and animation cells)

Hey,
First post here, I do not have much experience with commissions or conventions sketches (other than small local ones), so as these forums seem to be full of experts, I thought you guys might be able to help me out a bit. Hopefully this is the right place to post. Since I am attending the London con, I would really want to look for some art to put on my walls.

I have a few questions, hopefully you guys have some insight to offer:
1) Is it good idea to travel with some sort cardboard tube or folder for commissions/sketches? Or what is the best way to keep whatever you get in good condition? I presume trusting that they sell me something at site, is something not to relay on.

2) This is a bit wide question, but perhaps there are some short thoughts about these. Several artists interest me to ask/buy sketch, any recommendations/experience about these people: Andrew Wildman, Stephen Baskerville, Mark Buckingham, Steve Rude or John Royle? I presume Mark Buckingham is probably the most busy one. Do any of these people do commissions during the conventions usually, or just quick sketches?

3) Animation cells price range. I guess price range varies a lot depending on characters and series, but what would one generally have to pay for 80ties series like GIJOE, He-man and such cells. So I know roughly what is within reason.

4) Animation Cells quality. Is there much issue of them being authentic or condition things to look for, I have no idea what to look for in them when buying them. I was looking around the forum, but did not notice any good guidelines.

5) In general, is the show cash or do the artists have credit card readers?

Any other tips are of course most welcome too.
DinoEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Royd
Producer
Producer

Hey Dinoeye,

Welcome to the boards! In reply to some of your questions:

1. I wouldn't recommend a tube (but that's just me) as I hate the idea of rolling artwork. I recommend an Itoya or similar art folio to carry around your artwork. I always carry a North Face courier pack in which I carry my art folio/s around any convention I attend.

Here's an earlier thread about the North Face bag although you can probably find similar bags to carry the art folios - http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...ght=north+face

2. It's always best to reach out to the artists prior to the convention to see if they are happy to accept pre-show commission requests. They can often be reached via Facebook, personal websites or even via contacting details from this board. Most will be happy to do pretty detailed pieces at the show but you will naturally have to get in early on their sketch list and prioritise your artist list.

3. No idea on this one - sorry

4. As above.

5. Cash is pretty much the only (with the rare exception) accepted means of payment.

Best,

Royd
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
morgs
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Welcome to SF mate,
I have quite a lot of experience in regards to animation cels,
I will warn you though it is a tricky thing to collect because there are a lot of fakes and cheap reproductions out there!!!!!
Usually a genuine cel will have a seal or marking on it from the producer of the cel ie: Marvel, DC, Warner bros. etc.
The other thing is a COA (Certificate of Authenticity/), which if it is real will be from the actual company that made the cartoon or animation.
I hope this helps mate
morgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
DinoEye
Doh!

Thanks for the replies so far!

I will look into a folder as Royd suggested.

morgs: Do you have any guidelines or the general price range of real cells? And how do you know COA is real deal, is there any good site or such that has some good guidelines?

Thanks!
DinoEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

my experience with animation cells, depending on character, episode, series and layout can be anywhere from $10 - $1000.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
BillC
Hellboy

Welcome!

I would definitely suggest bringing something flat and sturdy that you can store art in
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
Underdog07
Hercules

Re payment. Cash is king with most artists although more and more are willing/able to accept credit cards.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote