Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Titan1977
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

How often do you change your collection 'theme'?

Over the years I have switched the focus on what I request/collect based on the comics I am reading, or if certain characters are really standing out to me. Sometimes I'll request a character from a specific artist for nostalgic reasons. I am thinking about changing the focus again, based on a couple of books i am enjoying now.
just curious about others.
Titan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

In terms of specific artwork themes, I like to buy paintings, mostly. Those pieces tend to display so well. Unless I intend to display it, I won't buy it. I like most eras of Marvel and DC. While pencil and ink pieces are certainly nice to look at, I made a decision to pass on those so that I can focus on colored pieces only. It really helped streamlining the hobby in this manner as things get pricey (and competitive!) in a hurry.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

outside of my jams i stick with a character in the batman universe in a different scenario (ie Batman at Grave, Joker: Nightmare, etc). I'll do that scenario until an artist totally smashes it and then i have to move on to another scenario.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I'm all over the place with no real theme. I have favorite artists I collect from. I wish I had the willpower to collect from one or two artists or at least collect one or two characters but it will never happen.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Sam
Hydra

I have no specific theme. I've got my favorite characters (Green Lantern & Captain America), but I have also gotten several other characters from my favorite artists including Lone Wolf & Cub, Mera from DC, and Captain Marvel from DC. At the moment I've been working on a dps jam of Captain America villains that is nearly complete, but that's the closest I've come to a theme.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Always collecting OA from Incredible Hulk comic books and my commissions book has been Planet Hulk for the last 6 years or so. For the next Heroes Con, I will be having a second book for various incarnations of the Hulk, artist's choice. Basically the Hulk.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

as long as I've been collecting comic art, its always been about Invincible. ill admit I've strayed away for a few pieces, but, 95% is Invincible. i used to be way heavy with commissions, but, those all but quit once i hit the OA hard.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
Sam
Hydra

My biggest problem with OA is the rising cost of it. Granted, commissions cost has shot through the roof too, but I've significantly slowed down on them too. My second issue with OA is finding that certain page that resonates with me. I've got a few pieces that are from key issues but are still not really desirable pages, and I got them simply because the better pages are so hard to find. (Like finding pages from the Infinity Gauntlet series, if you can find one you should probably jump on it because holding out for that certain special page probably isn't going to have good results.) Right now, I'd be looking for a page from Captain America #332 (because I can't afford a Kirby or Byrne page) or a nice Zeck page.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
J-M-T
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
I'm all over the place with no real theme. I have favorite artists I collect from. I wish I had the willpower to collect from one or two artists or at least collect one or two characters but it will never happen.
+1
J-M-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #10
Scion009
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I would say I am on my third "phase" in my collecting career. And with each shift in collections so far, I have sold off most of the previous collection, just keeping my absolute favourites. I began collecting art with mostly con sketches and a few comic pages. About 3 years or so into that, I shifted more to fantasy art (Elves, fairies, etc). That phase lasted about 8 years, give or take, until 2011, when I again shifted focus, back more to comic characters and comic pages. Currently, my main focus on art collecting is Marvel's Valkyrie and other Asgardians, Cassie Hack art from Hack/Slash, and Guardians of the Galaxy art, mainly featuring Gamora. Who knows if/when I will enter a new phase....
Scion009 is offline   Reply With Quote