Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #291
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I think once David Benioff and D. B. Weiss get their Old Republic trilogy off the ground we’re going to get the more “adult” themed SW material many are craving, myself included. As a huge Game of Thrones and Star Wars fan I’m probably more excited for that than anything ever proposed in the SW Universe. I also think the Cassian Andor & Mandalorian projects show a lot of potential in this regard as well.
Old Republic is where Lucas should have gone instead of the prequels he did do.

I definitely leave the door wide open for that for now.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #292
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

I'd rather keep Star Wars as a PG-13 rated affair than have it go "adult". Just as I don't need Captain America movies with eviscerated corpses. I have IPs I follow for that, and it's nice to have lighter IPs that don't need that. Not saying the themes can't be a bit more complex, but I'm not looking for "A Beautiful Mind" when I go see Star Wars.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #293
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I don’t think they’ll ever go beyond PG-13 content myself. Some of the material may push the boundaries but by saying adult I don’t mean R rated, just a more complex mature vibe.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #294
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I'd rather keep Star Wars as a PG-13 rated affair than have it go "adult". Just as I don't need Captain America movies with eviscerated corpses. I have IPs I follow for that, and it's nice to have lighter IPs that don't need that. Not saying the themes can't be a bit more complex, but I'm not looking for "A Beautiful Mind" when I go see Star Wars.
Agreed...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #295
qz33
Doctor Doom

I'd never want Star Wars to go Game of Thrones, though lots of people would. If everything after the originals kept the same tone everyone would be fine.

The prequels were a fine idea but too cartooned. Really should have brought the theme of droids being used as military oppression pushing the galaxy into reprehension and seeing clones as salvation that were referenced in New Hope and Empire.
A lot of blurred lines of AI, human cloning, and doppelganger potential missed. Maybe some of that gets touched on this new one.

It's all in the presentation. Serious topics that try to have too much humor fail at both. Just look at horror movie cycles. 20 years ago compared to today are different as night and day.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #296
Python
Omega Red

I agree that the tone of Star Wars has always suited a PG 13 rating. It is after all a franchise that the entire family should be able to enjoy. That said, I wouldn't scoff at the idea of a one off intimately brutal clone or storm trooper based movie. War isn't pretty after all.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #297
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I agree that the tone of Star Wars has always suited a PG 13 rating. It is after all a franchise that the entire family should be able to enjoy. That said, I wouldn't scoff at the idea of a one off intimately brutal clone or storm trooper based movie. War isn't pretty after all.
I’d be down for something like that.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:57 PM   #298
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Oh I'd love that. Even that though I think could be wouldn't have to go off the rails into adults only territory. Don't have to show guts to get to some serious consequences and emotional lessons. Just look at Disney's legacy cartoons, so many stellar westerns, or even fairy tales from the past.

But yeah I had high hopes that Rogue One was really going to focus on the trooper/rebel soldier aspect. I think they tried too hard to give Jyn Erso emotional depth and it came across as such. And not everything needs to be so interconnected in Star Wars.
I'd still love to see it be done.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #299
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Looks like this thread is headed in the same direction as every other SW thread before it. As someone who still enjoys the franchise it’s disappointing any real discussion surrounding the actual material gets buried in the onslaught of resentful comments.
What you mean is, it's a shame that more people don't have positive things to say? Those of us that dislike the current movies ARE discussing the material, we just don't like it.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:41 PM   #300
Gruson
Suicide Squad

It looks ok.

Honestly, I’m upset with JJ with Ep7 too. Not having at least one scene with Luke, Leia, and Han together again was pathetic. Terrible idea not including Luke in the film until the very end...that’s what we had been waiting for....not to mention the new cast is not memorable.

Won’t even mention Ep8....they should have listed to Hamill. His ideas on both films were spot on.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote