Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #31
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Cube View Post
Does it say what material that statue is made of? I've seen some Microsoft's pack-in statue efforts and they are mostly pvc.
No, I haven't been able to track down any info on what the statue is made off. One of the main reasons I never buy limited editions like these at full price is because limited editions like these rarely have high quality statues/collectibles. I don't mind lower quality statues if they look this good and I can buy them at a sizable discount. Again, I personally think this is one of the nicest looking limited edition game statues I have seen to date and I absolutely love the design of the character and robot so if I can find one at a decent price, I will definitely be buying a copy.

If I am able to find anything out regarding the material, I'll send you a PM.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #32
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dood View Post
Shenmue 2 was the most expensive crowd funded project topping over at $47 mil

Most indie games average 200K to 1 million on average
Shenmue 3 and not even close :P
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #33
Bsmooth
Doh!

I'm on the fence about this one. I love the COTD line and own three of the statues, but kickstarter sorta puts me off. If the concept is good enough then they should fund it themselves. We've given PLENTY of money to Sideshow and the thought of them asking us to fund their game, like I said is off putting. I do like the idea of Kickstarter, but I think it should be for more Indie groups trying to make a project. Large companies shouldn't be asking for free money. The whole Kickstarter process is usually very long and draining for the people who donate. Look at Star Citizen: they've raised over 123 million dollars over the course of three years, and there's still no game released. Not saying this game will even remotely compare to the ambition of Star Citizen, but it's still a long process.
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #34
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmooth View Post
I'm on the fence about this one. I love the COTD line and own three of the statues, but kickstarter sorta puts me off. If the concept is good enough then they should fund it themselves. We've given PLENTY of money to Sideshow and the thought of them asking us to fund their game, like I said is off putting. I do like the idea of Kickstarter, but I think it should be for more Indie groups trying to make a project. Large companies shouldn't be asking for free money. The whole Kickstarter process is usually very long and draining for the people who donate. Look at Star Citizen: they've raised over 123 million dollars over the course of three years, and there's still no game released. Not saying this game will even remotely compare to the ambition of Star Citizen, but it's still a long process.
Yeah, unfortunately there is no stipulation that a well established company can't start a Kickstarter project so your beginning to see more and more companies taking this route as its really risk free and its a great way to gauge overall interest in a particular project. Double Fine is another perfect example. That studio has more than enough money to develop games without having to resort to Kickstarter yet they are using Kickstarter anyways as it allows them to raise additional money with absolutely zero risk. WHen you look at it that way it makes perfect sense for companies to use Kickstarter when they can. I may not agree with it, but from a business perspective it does make a lot of sense and unfortunately I think we are only going to see more and more established studios take this approach in the future.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #35
dood
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Shenmue 3 and not even close :P
Shenmue became the most expensive game ever developed at the time, reported to have cost Sega $70 million. In 2011, Suzuki said the figure was closer to $47 million including marketing. Development also covered some of Shenmue II (2001) and groundwork for future Shenmue games.
dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #36
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dood View Post
Shenmue became the most expensive game ever developed at the time, reported to have cost Sega $70 million. In 2011, Suzuki said the figure was closer to $47 million including marketing. Development also covered some of Shenmue II (2001) and groundwork for future Shenmue games.
Shenmue 1 and 2 weren't crowdfunded. Shenmue 3 was and got like 6 mil. The most crowdfunded game is Star Citizen at around 100mil.
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #37
Cyber-Lip
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky View Post
A company that size should not need a kickstarter unless they want the community to share in the risk. I can just see it, donate $500 and pay $60 for the game. What a deal!
If the game takes off and makes millions, investors make $0. Sign me up!
Cyber-Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #38
dood
Kindly Asked To Leave

how kickstarter typically works is people sponsor funds and they get a beta, discount, early access or an enhanced collectors edition of the final product.

The VR headsets that started on kickstarter didn't guarantee people that funded the project a stake in the company. I think you are confused. Instead they got an early prototype model.

In the case of Mighty NO 9 those that contributed in excess of X$ received a limited edition collectors set.

For the Oculus Rift my cousin received a prototype of the finished product.

If and when TLC finally release the album they promised their fans on kickstarter, select few receive exclusive remixes or bonus tracks etc.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #39
dood
Kindly Asked To Leave

If people like the project, they can pledge money to make it happen. If the project succeeds in reaching its funding goal, all backers' credit cards are charged when time expires. If the project falls short, no one is charged. Funding on Kickstarter is all-or-nothing.

-----

Sounds fair to me.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:58 PM   #40
dood
Kindly Asked To Leave

If you are a gamer, and care about games this news is always a good thing.

If you are a cynic that doesn't like to see others succeed, then maybe kickstarter isn't the thing for you.

I would start kickstarter pages for anything I think would make something better that I enjoy.

Hell if someone convinces Disney to stop making ----ty video games, and license out their Marvel characters to Capcom to make great games like Marvel Vs Capcom.. I'm all for it. Money talks.

EDIT

Marvel Vs Capcom 4 may infact happen, now that the fans have spoken. Disney is starting to reissue licenses to video game companies like Activision. Theres rumours Capcom may get the license back.