Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #521
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Ok, you're right. We can't assume he's telling the truth, but how can we assume he's lying to Anakin either then? He clearly wants to manipulate him, but he does so with truth the majority of the time.

Surely Sidious knows that Anakin will check the Jedi archives for this legend?

But there are lots of Force powers that were out of the realms of what was believable in the original trilogy. Some might now be considered non-canonical, but they were up until Force Awakens. Force Meld for example, the power that the Solo kids could use, links Jedi together, not dissimilar from the link Snoke set up between Ren and Rey.

It's been a while since I read Revenge of the Sith in book form or saw the movie, but I clearly remember that the book gave a lot more detail about Anakin's turn to the Dark Side when he cut Windu's hand off and helped Palpatine kill him, and this after just preaching to Windu that he couldn't kill Palpatine because it was wrong.

I don't remember if Anakin checked the Jedi archives for the Plagius raising the dead legend, but the part that really turned it all for me was in the book, where Anakin killed Padme, and admitted to himself that all his talk of wanting to save Padme hadn't been true. His true motivation for turning to the dark side was that he wanted to be the biggest, baddest and bestest. His turn to the dark side had never been about Padme at all. He then goes to the temple and kills all of those children. It's pretty hard to put lip stick on that pig after that. And, to think that all he needed to do to wipe the slate clean was to toss Palpatine down a huge ventilation shaft, or whatever that thing was he threw him down.

Sorry for the rant.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:02 AM   #522
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Not even going to bother addressing the ridiculous SJW claims, but this is wholly inaccurate. She did not kamikaze. A kamikaze attack is a deliberate suicidal crash into an enemy target. She did not deliberately commit suicide nor did she attempt to crash her ship into the Dreadnaught. Her ship was not on a collision course. She was on attack run (debatable whether or not they accepted the mission knowing their low odds of survival) and happened to die during the mission. That's it.
Could have sworn she was the only left on the cruiser as everyone else was off on the 30 some ships that left the cruiser with about 400 passengers. Then I recall her turning the ship around and hitting the gas pedal to light speed right through the dreadnaught. Sure looked like a kamikaze approach to me.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:09 AM   #523
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Could have sworn she was the only left on the cruiser as everyone else was off on the 30 some ships that left the cruiser with about 400 passengers. Then I recall her turning the ship around and hitting the gas pedal to light speed right through the dreadnaught. Sure looked like a kamikaze approach to me.
He's referring to the bomber attack on the first dreadnaught at the beginning of the film.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #524
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Like EnShinNoi said, Tbolt and I are talking about Rose's sister. The Resistance bomber that helps destroy the First Order Dreadnought at the beginning of the film.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:40 AM   #525
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnShinNoi View Post
He's referring to the bomber attack on the first dreadnaught at the beginning of the film.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:01 AM   #526
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Apology accepted.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:11 AM   #527
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Not even going to bother addressing the ridiculous SJW claims, but this is wholly inaccurate. She did not kamikaze. A kamikaze attack is a deliberate suicidal crash into an enemy target. She did not deliberately commit suicide nor did she attempt to crash her ship into the Dreadnaught. Her ship was not on a collision course. She was on attack run (debatable whether or not they accepted the mission knowing their low odds of survival) and happened to die during the mission. That's it.
Really? Ridiculous? Ok snowflake. I guess the save the horsies, don’t eat meat, slavery, empowerment, war profiteers themes didn’t exist. I’m not even complaining about their existence, merely stating how obvious they were. Made Avatar look subtle.

Just saying, in two movies we’ve had a Force Ninja and Kamakazi (fine, suicide mission sacrificial space bombadeer). I state that due to the archaic bombing platform, that, frankly, looks ineffectual for space. On a suicide mission...
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:23 AM   #528
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

It was an interesting audience (I had the theater to myself for Justice League). Nobody laughed. People looked stunned when they left. I did see a few head slaps when Rose pinballed Finn and heard a couple WTF’s when Leia flew. Nobody in the theater seemed upset by the Skype Force. I have a feeling the audience you view this with could impact your impression.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:32 AM   #529
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Really? Ridiculous? Ok snowflake. I guess the save the horsies, don’t eat meat, slavery, empowerment, war profiteers themes didn’t exist. I’m not even complaining about their existence, merely stating how obvious they were. Made Avatar look subtle.

Just saying, in two movies we’ve had a Force Ninja and Kamakazi (fine, suicide mission sacrificial space bombadeer). I state that due to the archaic bombing platform, that, frankly, looks ineffectual for space. On a suicide mission...
Snowflake, eh? While it was clear I didn't agree with your SJW assessment I didn't resort to insults. Fun tidbit, I am not a SJW. I actually believe today's society is a little too sensitive... on BOTH sides. If it isn't the SJWs crying it's the ones crying about the SJWs. Your examples only demonstrate to me that anyone can pick apart a narrative to suit there argument. By your logic every frickin film that ever brings up an idea that coincides with real world social or economical issues would be "SJW film". That's nearly every film known to man. But nope, let's bring it up only when it suits us simply because we didn't like something. And I'll stop there as I am sure someone will point out the conversation is steering towards a political one.

And let's be real, you brought up the kamikaze in attempt to ridicule Disney by stating they're playing into stereotypes simply because the character was Asian. Since you were factually incorrect about it being a kamikaze attack, YOU would actually be the one using the stereotype.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:49 AM   #530
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

You are putting an awful lot of energy into defending this movie. You feel personally attacked if someone disagrees with your love of said movie, and doesn’t explain themselves to your satisfaction.

Frankly, it’s comical.

I had no ulterior motive for stating the scene was as reminiscent of a kamikaze maneuver (to me, watching it today, snowy) especially given their handling of Asian Ninja character in the superior Rogue One, a movie I didn’t bother with until it hit Netflix, and probably the only reason I went to the theater for this one.

Disney got my $10. What more do you want from me. My patronage and the thousands like me will ensure you get more movies like this one, of which you are so fond.

Again, simply noted I was aware of the SJW criticism and thought that the elements that was derived from were fairly OBVIOUS, and not subtle at all. How is that political?

Touchy, touchy, touchy.

It’s ok if other people think your child (Star Wars movie) is ugly. It doesn’t make YOU love them any less.