Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #11
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

A female character wearing practical armor!?

I'm intrigued.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #12
TheStig88
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusoid View Post
A female character wearing practical armor!?

I'm intrigued.
No kidding eh? It's like the holy grail for me in collecting. I love ladies in armor, not chainmail bikinis.

Definitely seems just a little bit early given the plethora of characters still to release, but still, she does look awesome.
TheStig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:03 PM   #13
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I agree with Atheris, but they'd probably be easier to resell than a 10 foot tall Hulk...
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
jetfuel
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I'm really not sure where to start with this.

Assign a value? Are you a collector or investor? The value is what you pay for it. If the time comes where you have to sell, then your target is to make your money back! Surely? But should that be a consideration prior to purchase? I mean, that's like planning to fail. In which case, don't buy statues, put your money in the bank and be done with it.

Sold on cool factor alone? Again, collector or investor. What other measurement is needed other than cool factor?

No back stories? Come on!? Had you written that statement for GG Honey Trap I would agree....but in this case I have to give SS some credit for developing these creations beyond the sculpt.

I walk away from your post thinking two things. 1: Your mindset is strictly set to comic book mode, where characters have 50+ years of 'development' and are, in your mind, therefore more desirable as statues. 2: You have an investors outlook when it comes to purchasing these statues, which must surely rob you of 90% of the enjoyment of the hobby.

Maybe you'd be more inclined to buy a statue that had a higher potential for a financial return, despite the fact you have personally no interest in it.
I have to agree with that...to put it simply.
jetfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #15
dechirico7
The Flash

That is why I am only going to get the ones that I will keep long-term. I consider them more art.
I kind of wish I had a house. I would love to make built in displays for these.
But, Siren will really determine if I am going to stick with this line now. Queenie was a disaster for me.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #16
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Quote:

Assign a value? Are you a collector or investor? The value is what you pay for it. If the time comes where you have to sell, then your target is to make your money back! Surely? But should that be a consideration prior to purchase? I mean, that's like planning to fail. In which case, don't buy statues, put your money in the bank and be done with it.

Sold on cool factor alone? Again, collector or investor. What other measurement is needed other than cool factor?

No back stories? Come on!? Had you written that statement for GG Honey Trap I would agree....but in this case I have to give SS some credit for developing these creations beyond the sculpt.

I walk away from your post thinking two things. 1: Your mindset is strictly set to comic book mode, where characters have 50+ years of 'development' and are, in your mind, therefore more desirable as statues. 2: You have an investors outlook when it comes to purchasing these statues, which must surely rob you of 90% of the enjoyment of the hobby.

Maybe you'd be more inclined to buy a statue that had a higher potential for a financial return, despite the fact you have personally no interest in it.
This is easily the single greatest post I've ever seen on this website.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #17
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Cool looking character. Might have to check out the Court of the Dead...
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #18
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post
This stuff is really cool to look at, however I don't have the slightest want to own any of it.....even if I was still buying SS products.

I mean how does the aftermarket even assign a value to these? They're characters with no backstories or relevance to each other other than having some cool outfits that fit the same theme. I don't want one more than I want another. So I just circle back around to....."They're cool"

They will all likely have a similar ES, so one piece won't be out of reach of the other on the aftermarket. Which leads me to believe these will be hard to sell off if you need to one day or recoup your money.

They're fantastic art pieces, but I'm finding it hard to put a value on something created out of thin air and sold on cool factor alone.

Chris
It seems the word "art" is a foreign concept to you.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:53 PM   #19
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
It seems the word "art" is a foreign concept to you.
I'm embarrassed to call him my Canadian brother..
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:05 AM   #20
Atheris
The Maxx

Quote:

If it wasn't clear already, I'm both, and so is everyone else whether they realize it or not.

I'm not saying these pieces need to have a 50 year history to be appreciated. What I'm saying is that no solid foundation exists for these characters to gain a significant following. They're whipped up out of thin air. A new piece comes out and it looks a little different than the last, but still the same. There's little to no backstory or character development to draw in people's attention, there's no significant emotional attachment, so all you have is a gothic fashion show. That's what I see with this line, just new styles of clothing using different models. And like most designer clothing its expensive, it's cool for a little while, then fades out of memory until something new comes out.

How many of you would spend on clothes what you spend on statues? My guess is no one. For the simple reason that it's not worth the money/investment. Now let's say you had that designer shirt singed by an artist or actor, now it's a "collectible" and also has a value assigned to it in the collectible world. These statues to me are a lot like that, fashion pieces.

SS can make new characters into infinity if they like with this line. Which means each new character that comes out devalues the previous just a little bit because there will always be "a next one" of the same. How far will collectors buy into this line before they realize they're blowing serious money into the wind? By the time that reality hits most collectors I'm betting your losses are in the thousands. I'm sorry, justifying huge money loss because the only selling point is "cool"......is ridiculous.

I bet losing thousands matters to most people, especially if you're a collector living paycheque to paycheque. Something to consider before blindly throwing money at something because it's cool. Characters with history behind them appeal to a much larger audience which in turn effect supply and demand and further, value. The dead line is very niche, you're only going to have so many people willing to pay $500 US to display a rotting carcass in their home, let alone multiples of them. Knowing that you're probably going to be in a losing position with this line, isn't it logical to pick up these pieces on the secondary market at reduced cost to acquire your "art"?

If SS only made a handful of these pieces and then called it quits, then I'd say it would have some footing in the collectible world. But from the looks of things, SS has no intention of stopping and will be pumping out pieces like they're civics. Hell they're even remaking the LSF reaper, guess what's going to happen to the value of that piece now? If you bought it second hand for 2k because you thought it was as sound investment, you've likely just lost half your money overnight. Do you have that look on your face like you just sucked on a leamon right about now? What's to stop SS from making endless variants of each character? They don't have to get approval from a licensor......they just make what they like, taking more money out of your pocket even after the sale. And I'm not even factoring in potential QC issues that will further cost you money.

Like I said, these are fashion show pieces. SS hasn't shown me what makes these collectibles. Slapping an ES on them isn't enough.

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote