Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #601
Stalzer2002
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Does anyone know what Mike Zeck charges these days? I'm specifically looking for a sketchcard sized headshot for one of my jams.
Stalzer2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #602
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

anyone know how much Michael Golden or Don Rosa charge?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #603
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Here are the rates for Michael Golden:

Head shot: $150 inked
Torso: $250 inked
Full Figure: $350 inked

This is convention style rates.

I believe Don Rosa sketches for free at cons, provided you dont mention Ducktales :P
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #604
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

awesome. thank you!
Old 04-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #605
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

Something I witnessed firsthand at East Coast Comic Con this weekend. Guy approaches Steve Rude with a small sketchbook, maybe 5x7 inches max. Asks Steve how much it would be for a small headsketch. Steve asks his female associate (wife? not sure) what he charges for those. She says $100. He says to the guy "$100 and I'll make it real nice". The guy kind of nervously laughs and repeats back "you'll make it real nice." Then he says ok, gives him the $100. Steve takes the sketchbook, and starts penciling out a Nexus head & shoulders. Takes him maximum 3 minutes. No inks, and mostly just flat side of the pencil type shading in on the costume. Extremely limited details. He hands it back to the guy, done. I was next, got my free signature, thanked him, and walked away.

A couple observations. 1) I can't believe the customer went through with it given how tiny the sketchbook was for $100. Surely in his mind he thought he was going to get a freebie or maybe shell out $20. 2) I can't believe Steve felt that sketch was worth $100 and handed it back to the guy with a straight face. 3) What is this hobby coming to that these are the prices asked for....and received?
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #606
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

unfortunately we are in a bizarro world of pricing.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #607
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost9 View Post
Something I witnessed firsthand at East Coast Comic Con this weekend. Guy approaches Steve Rude with a small sketchbook, maybe 5x7 inches max. Asks Steve how much it would be for a small headsketch. Steve asks his female associate (wife? not sure) what he charges for those. She says $100. He says to the guy "$100 and I'll make it real nice". The guy kind of nervously laughs and repeats back "you'll make it real nice." Then he says ok, gives him the $100. Steve takes the sketchbook, and starts penciling out a Nexus head & shoulders. Takes him maximum 3 minutes. No inks, and mostly just flat side of the pencil type shading in on the costume. Extremely limited details. He hands it back to the guy, done. I was next, got my free signature, thanked him, and walked away.

A couple observations. 1) I can't believe the customer went through with it given how tiny the sketchbook was for $100. Surely in his mind he thought he was going to get a freebie or maybe shell out $20. 2) I can't believe Steve felt that sketch was worth $100 and handed it back to the guy with a straight face. 3) What is this hobby coming to that these are the prices asked for....and received?
This is just another example of collectors who let their fandom get in the way of better sense. $100 for a tiny 3 minute sketch would certainly warrant a comment about wanting/expecting more out of a commission. It doesn't sound at all like "he made it real nice" and should have been called on it if the collector did not feel he met the expectations of the commission.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #608
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
This is just another example of collectors who let their fandom get in the way of better sense. $100 for a tiny 3 minute sketch would certainly warrant a comment about wanting/expecting more out of a commission. It doesn't sound at all like "he made it real nice" and should have been called on it if the collector did not feel he met the expectations of the commission.
Agreed - I think too many people have reservations about calling out artists for the product received - but they certainly have the right to say something!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #609
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

JG - I agree and should have made that my third observation as that was certainly what I was thinking standing there at the time. I absolutely would have said something....I felt bad for the guy.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #610
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalzer2002 View Post
Does anyone know what Mike Zeck charges these days? I'm specifically looking for a sketchcard sized headshot for one of my jams.
It can be hard to get info on Mike Zeck, he doesn't always sketch and when he does, he doesn't always charge the same. It is usually in the same ballpark, but nothing concrete.

I get a lot of Jam's done, and while I haven't gotten Zeck, I have gotten some quite big names in the past and I would say that Zeck will be somewhere between $30-$100, probably somewhere in the middle.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote