Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Vallos
Jubilee

Boris Vallejo's Discovery

This statue is a mix bag. Erick did a wonderful job sculpting this beauty. She is well defined and a wonder to look at. The Creatures are also with great detail. The handling of the production run is where I'm having an issue. While the paint application is good, the quadruped doesn't easily fit into the base. You have to really put some effort into it. The smaller creature is not at all attached to his fellow beast. It just sits there, although it is snug. However, a good bump against the table/display will surely have him tumbling down. Also, the cane does not fit within it's peg, and if it did, it is not long enough to reach the base. I'm going to have to figure something out, otherwise, I'll be returning it.

Here is some shots taken with my phone (I'll retake them with a better camera later on):

# 26 of 250

Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Vallos
Jubilee

Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Finalape
Birdman

Nice pictures and review. I wish the lighting situation were a bit better. Of all the things that attract my eye, the belly button and abs are an excellent attention to detail on this piece.
Finalape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
smartartist
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I totally agree with review. Mine is exactly as you have described also. I really like it but it seems like the guy who had to cross the T's before it was finished didn't come into the office that day.
This is hardly important but did your styrofoam practically evaporate like mine when you took the statue out?
smartartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
smartartist
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Btw if you position it juuust right and don't bump it the cane will fit.. Just don't breath near it
smartartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:33 AM   #6
tombow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

received mine ... and sadly i have to agree with you all..!!
btw, i really like the Erick Job did on the girl , she's gorgeuss!
But.. not to mention all above issue you already said,
the major disappoint , also considering the additional money i payed..(72 Euro of custom!!!) is for the paint application on mini creature, especially the googles..what are suppose to be those sparks on lenses..some kind of reflections? if so , those are very poorly done ..( i'll repaint mine in a better way) plus , the cane came out broken in two pieces from the styro (Its an easy fix , but it's made of thin resin instead on a better and sturdy material ( so, be careful with this piece, if falling down from display ,it will be broken for sure..
tombow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Vallos
Jubilee

One other thing I noticed is that her left hand is not touching her hip. This may seem to most like a lot of negatives that warrants a return, but the only thing that truly bugs me is the cane. If I can't figure something out with that, then I'll return it.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
fderado
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I love the sculpt, but the paint application on my base seems so dull...the color of thre flora and fauna is nothing like it is in the SS pics.
Have the same issues with my statue(cane)...as well as a minor chip on one of the mounds on the base...plus one of the creatures has a chip just above the eye It seems to be a clean break though and I should be able to glue it back...the brown shipper box it came is intact but as you can see the colored box it came in has one side crinked and appears to have been dropped sometime before being put in the brown shipper...I think I should get in touch with SS...

...any suggestions as to what type of superglue to use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boris 026.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	626.8 KB
ID:	65251   Click image for larger version

Name:	boris 031.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	688.0 KB
ID:	65252   Click image for larger version

Name:	boris 029.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	638.9 KB
ID:	65253   Click image for larger version

Name:	boris 032.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	862.3 KB
ID:	65254   Click image for larger version

Name:	boris 034.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	650.6 KB
ID:	65255  

Click image for larger version

Name:	boris 036.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	582.4 KB
ID:	65256   Click image for larger version

Name:	boris 035.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	633.9 KB
ID:	65257   Click image for larger version

Name:	boris 039.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	671.5 KB
ID:	65258   Click image for larger version

Name:	boris 040.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	709.2 KB
ID:	65259  
fderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Xaerius
The Herculoids

Vallos, how did you fix the staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
One other thing I noticed is that her left hand is not touching her hip. This may seem to most like a lot of negatives that warrants a return, but the only thing that truly bugs me is the cane. If I can't figure something out with that, then I'll return it.
I just bought this piece, it is #88 of 250 and it has exactly the same issues that you have described.

Vallos, how did you correct the "cane" situation? No matter how I have turned it, there is always a gap and it is at risk of falling out.

Mine also had a two minor chips on the base which I'm not worried about but the animals looked great. The girl does have a lot of eye shadow above one eye and virtually none on the other eye but since her skin is quite tanned, that is not very noticeable. What I do notice is that the eye paint is not aligned properly but I wonder if that was done on purpose so that different viewing angles of the statue will still give the appearance that she is looking at the viewer (I only say that because I see that the statues posted here also have the same issue that the prototype did not have). I was also expecting the skin to have a kind of a sheen to it (the way CS Moore statues do) but it is a very flat tone so I'm hoping that they didn't miss the final coat.

Lastly, and probably not an issue at all, the other 2 Yamato statues that I've received have a metal plate with the edition number on it but this one has a sticker. I'm thinking that maybe the metal plates started to ship with later statue models.

Thank goodness Eric Sosa gave her a beautiful face! If this statue had the face of the original painting, I never would have bought it.

It is definitely a beautiful piece overall and I'm surprised that it is still available with such a low number having been produced.

Last edited by Xaerius; 09-05-2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Had to correct a small typo in the last sentence.
Xaerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Vallos
Jubilee

I was never able to correct the problem. Over time, the gap was less and less an issue that I just left it alone.