Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Chronicle Collectibles

Old 01-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #251
Leekson
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
To be fair, these pieces can vary wildly from one example to another, so you can't be sure how the ones were he has seen. I've had Sideshow pieces so bad piece to piece they were completely different colors when they weren't supposed to be.
I agree with you, variations are inevitable, but in my honest opinion, I think that the thing which is bothering all the fans and customers is the fact that, when it comes to CC, there are no "wildly" variations, only "slightly". I honestly haven't yet seen wild difference in the paintjob of the BO Rex, Female bust or any other piece so I could say, hey this one is way better than the other one... I've only seen bad and worse ones with poor seams and mold lines.

EDIT:

Don't get me wrong when I say I've seen only bad and worse ones... There were some good ones like Stego, Compy... I'm talking about those which turned out to be a generally bad pieces like BO Rex, Female bust and this piece. There is no that variation which made one piece better than the other. At the end, even if there is, it's not fair to the customers, they are paying for a statue, not playing a lottery
Leekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:56 PM   #252
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekson View Post
I agree with you, variations are inevitable, but in my honest opinion, I think that the thing which is bothering all the fans and customers is the fact that, when it comes to CC, there are no "wildly" variations, only "slightly". I honestly haven't yet seen wild difference in the paintjob of the BO Rex, Female bust or any other piece so I could say, hey this one is way better than the other one... I've only seen bad and worse ones with poor seams and mold lines.

EDIT:

Don't get me wrong when I say I've seen only bad and worse ones... There were some good ones like Stego, Compy... I'm talking about those which turned out to be a generally bad pieces like BO Rex, Female bust and this piece. There is no that variation which made one piece better than the other. At the end, even if there is, it's not fair to the customers, they are paying for a statue, not playing a lottery
Of my 2 breakout rex pieces; 1 was well done and 1 was very poor. I've seen it with every company I have ever had more than one identical piece from(and yes even P1)
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:43 AM   #253
Phil the sixth
Nightwing

I have to agree with Leekson.
Stingray,the one breakout that was well done...was it touched up by CC themselves?Because,in all honestly,all the specimen I've seen were all very bad...on fora and in person.
Wild variations in paintjob on Prime 1 collectibles?This is something new to me.Have received several Prime 1 products and looked at productions pieces for years...never saw something "wildly" different among the same items.
My experience is that there are no "wild" variations at all.If a product is bad they are all bad.There are variations of course but not in a degree that makes one production piece much better than the other....in the sense that you can say that one production piece has a high quality finish and the other not.No way.These are mass produced pieces coming from an assembly line and all will look similar with "minor" variations.
Phil the sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #254
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Then you don't have enough experience...Here is one example I use and to be honest my sample size is quite small compared to the total runs of most of the pieces I own. It has to be fairly common as I see it happen on almost every piece I get duplicates of. Most are not as extreme as this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2713.1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	119748  
Old 01-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #255
Leekson

I'm not forcing P1, IS or any other company here, I'm talking about CC, their quality control, prices, the way they advertise their pieces...
I've got BO Rex directly from CC and it's bad, dots all over the place, no retouching. I've said before that I've learned to love it, but it's because of the sculpt, not paintjob... I guess I'm lying myself and trying to justify the money spent.
67L88Stingray, would you be kind to post pic of your BO side by side? If you've repainted one of them, I suppose it's the worse one, I would like to see the better one. Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious to see it, although it won't change my mind because as I said even if there are some good ones, there are more bad ones when piece is generally bad and it's a gamble
Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #256
Phil the sixth
Nightwing

The Alien you show is indeed en extreme example and rather an old Sideshow piece if I'm not misstaken.
But I'm not aware of someone receiving the breakout or the Owen & Blue statue without those ugly dots and a great paintjob finish instead.

And I yet have to see 1 example from high end companies such as Prime 1 or ECC with such a wild variation of paintapplication as the Alien you're showing.

I must admit I'm not following Sideshow anymore since they've stopped producing non-comic movie related characters and the few they are releasing(Alien/Predator) are of no interest to me.
Honest question for you Stingray: Are there still such huge paintjob variations in Sideshow's products today as the older Alien statue you've showed?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #257
Phil the sixth
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekson View Post
I've got BO Rex directly from CC and it's bad, dots all over the place, no retouching. I've said before that I've learned to love it, but it's because of the sculpt, not paintjob...
Same here Leekson...since I've touched up the beast I've learned to love it aswell despite the other flaws such as the ugly forearm seams.The sculpt itself is just beautifull and from one of the most iconic movie moments.I'm no painter and I know it's not completely accurate but it looks much better than before.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #258
Leekson

There is a variation between those two Alien statues, but the difference is that the Alien on the right even with less details still looks awesome, while Blue looks worse than some cheap toys.
Nice work Phil, looks better... Sorry for going off the thread, but one thing I've forgot to mention about my BO Rex and I haven't seen other people talking about this... When you imaginary spread the base, on my piece the lower jaw touches the ground... The back aren't parallel with the ground. It doesn't have anything to do with the pins in the legs. My guess is that the legs aren't glued well, although the seams are looking nice

Old 01-04-2019, 01:11 AM   #259
Chrisrex82
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Of my 2 breakout rex pieces; 1 was well done and 1 was very poor. I've seen it with every company I have ever had more than one identical piece from(and yes even P1)
Which P1 pieces have "varied widely" on their paint work? Can we see that well done BO next to the poor one, curious to see what you think "well done" looks like. Also those Alien pieces are very old, you dont see that level of variation, even from SS today.
Chrisrex82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:04 AM   #260
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrex82 View Post
Which P1 pieces have "varied widely" on their paint work? Can we see that well done BO next to the poor one, curious to see what you think "well done" looks like. Also those Alien pieces are very old, you dont see that level of variation, even from SS today.
Some of you are really missing the point. I posted that as an EXTREME example, most pieces don't vary that much obviously. To the detail oriented a lot can still vary piece to piece, most of which you would have to see in person for it to be apparent.

Arkham Batman was the one I had issues with, although I guess that's "very old" for P1 so doesn't count? I don't even buy from SS anymore, most of their stuff is overpriced with lackluster art direction and factory work on the back end. I think it has been well over a year that I have ordered an in house piece from them.

As for the BO, I sold the well painted one I had and didn't take any pics as I never displayed it. It wasn't proto quality, but as good as any I have seen posted. I planned on getting the other one repainted, but decided I will probably sell it too as I have the 1/5 coming and probably the rotunda or a P1 depending on how those turn out.