Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 10-26-2018, 11:05 PM   #1
Brian R.
The Riddler

2018 Marvel Masterpieces by Simone Bianchi

Just found out about these. His art doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as Joe Jusko's, but some of the cards from this set still look pretty nice. It releases on Oct. 31, and the format is basically the same as the 2016 set, with what looks to be the same price point. I'll be interested in getting a few of these at least, especially some of never done before characters like Triton, Karnak, and Gorgon.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #2
Mister H
Green Goblin

One of my favorite artists, looking forward to this. I have Detective Comics #820 signed by him.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

wait wut?? where did these come from? and they are out today?? very interesting, i'd love to see more of the artwork. I dont think I can justify dropping the same cash as I did on Joe's MM set for these though sadly...
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

here is a link to some of the artwork in the set

its not blowing me away, seems cool but not Jusko level

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...=1&order=Title
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Brian R.
The Riddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
here is a link to some of the artwork in the set

its not blowing me away, seems cool but not Jusko level

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...=1&order=Title
That's what I think too, although admittedly, Joe is a pretty tough act to follow!Bianchi is obviously a very talented artist, it's just that his style doesn't really appeal to me as much as Joe's photo realistic painting. I'll be picking up a few singles, but I think that's it. Upper Deck seems to be reviving the original art cards. There's a new Fleer Ultra X-Men set out now, done by various artists, and there are some nice pieces in that set too.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:00 PM   #6
Demona
Martian Manhunter

The Hellcat and Strange are stunners.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
ALEX23
The Avengers

I'm glad for another set with new art, but I just wish they'd stop producing them on that overly thick card stock.
ALEX23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #8
Brian R.
The Riddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX23 View Post
I'm glad for another set with new art, but I just wish they'd stop producing them on that overly thick card stock.
Me too. These things are priced off the wall because of this, plus the fact that they make it almost impossible to get a base set because of the way they're marketing them. Some of these are very nice (Storm, Havok etc.), but Wonder Man looks nothing like the character at all. Yellowjacket is pretty well done, except that they left the bug symbol off of his chest for whatever reason. I'll pick up a few of these, but they're a bit of a let down from Joe Jusko.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #9
ALEX23
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R. View Post
Me too. These things are priced off the wall because of this, plus the fact that they make it almost impossible to get a base set because of the way they're marketing them. Some of these are very nice (Storm, Havok etc.), but Wonder Man looks nothing like the character at all. Yellowjacket is pretty well done, except that they left the bug symbol off of his chest for whatever reason. I'll pick up a few of these, but they're a bit of a let down from Joe Jusko.
Well Joe Jusko is a tough act to follow. Don't get me wrong though, there are some really nice pieces in this set. But like you mentioned, these card sets are getting really expensive to put together. I just hate how they've turned into some premium level collectible. When I was a kid, I used to be able to get cards for 1-2 bucks a pack at the grocery store and still have beautiful artwork.
ALEX23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:20 AM   #10
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

An absolete hobby. Although nostalgic, juskos we're a good time. Lesson learned. I blew hundreds on boxes n inserts. Trading cards will sadly fade with the 90s generation.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote