Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 08-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
Thanks for all of the kind comments, guys!

I do indeed own the Olivietti comiquette, and I really like both.

Although the poses are very similar, I get more of a sense of power and strength from the Olivietti, and this new one just seems more casual and light hearted.

The bases are pretty similar...not much to choose between the two.

I think I prefer the deeper blue and the shading on the new one, and the sculpt is excellent (I am really digging all of Schumacher's sculpts these days).

I think many people will prefer the original due to its size and presence, and I love that aspect as well. My biggest critique of the original is the shape of the head...I don't love the way it looks when looking at it straight on (looks great from and angle, though). The JSC has a bit more pleasing head shape (more realistically shaped), but I don't love the shape of the eyes (I think Steve McNiven draws the perfect Spidey eyes, so I wish they were shaped more like the way he draws them).

As far as size...well, neither display great with normal 1:4 sized pieces, but the old one might look a little worse because it's so big.

I don't know, man...it's honestly splitting hairs between the two. Maybe I'm caught up in the "shiny and new" one, but if someone twisted my arm, I think I actually prefer the JSC (with the EX head).

If we're comparing "sets", though...I prefer the Spidey, Venom, Carnage trio to Spidey, MJ, and Gwen.
Great point about the original Comi head... I never loved it straight on either... Just not natural enough. Looks great from other angles though... even though he doesn't have a nose.
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

Nice review!

I finally saw the Gwen, MJ, and Spidey in person over the weekend. These look goooooood.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
rocky123
Doh!

Bmutha,

Good review, pretty accurate and pretty much mirrors my feelings on the piece. I think the sculpt itself is excellent really conveying JSC's style but I was kind of disappointed in the paint. As far as the application itself I think I got a good one but the color pallet itself seemed off to me and definitely not a nice as the proto. The paints seemed almost dusty/dingy and not nearly as vibrant as the proto or my Kotobukiya Spidey. Also the red seemed closer to maroon than the classic Spidey red. Do you see this as well or do you think I just got a color blind paint applicator?
rocky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
rocky123
Doh!

Bmutha,

Very nice review. Spot and and pretty much mirrors my feelings on this piece. I think the sculpt is excellent and really conveys JSC's unique style but I was a bit disappointed in the paint.
While the application itself was pretty good on mine (there are a couple of horror stories in the SS thread for this piece) I don't like the color pallet they went with. It falls woefully short of the proto piece. The colors seem dirty/dingy and not nearly as vibrant as the proto. The red in particular looks off. It looks closer to maroon than the classic Spidey red. Having it next to my Kotobukiya Spidey only makes it even more obvious.
Do you notice the same thing or am I just losing it?
rocky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #15
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky123 View Post
Bmutha,

Very nice review. Spot and and pretty much mirrors my feelings on this piece. I think the sculpt is excellent and really conveys JSC's unique style but I was a bit disappointed in the paint.
While the application itself was pretty good on mine (there are a couple of horror stories in the SS thread for this piece) I don't like the color pallet they went with. It falls woefully short of the proto piece. The colors seem dirty/dingy and not nearly as vibrant as the proto. The red in particular looks off. It looks closer to maroon than the classic Spidey red. Having it next to my Kotobukiya Spidey only makes it even more obvious.
Do you notice the same thing or am I just losing it?
You're right, the paint scheme definitely does not match the prototype. It's disappointing because MJ and Gwen came out painted very close to the proto...not sure what went awry with this piece. If you get one without paint issues, it still looks very nice, though.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote