Black Canary Bombshells Statue by DC Collectibles

Black Canary Bombshells – DC Collectibles
Designed by Ant Lucia.
Sculpted by Sam Greenwell.
Stands at approximately 10.6” high.
Limited edition size of 5200.
RRP: $124.95 USD

Intro.
The Bombshells statues have been a very interesting addition to DC Collectibles line of statues. Based on the wonderful pin-up art of Ant Lucia, these statues are still fairly new, having only been around for about a year.

So far in the line, we’ve had Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Batgirl and now, Black Canary. Other releases include Stargirl and Zatanna, who are both coming later this year, and Hawkgirl, Mera and Lois Lane all confirmed for 2015 releases - check out the DC Collectibles threads for more info on these ones. For now, let’s talk Black Canary.

Sculpt. 6.0
The sculpt of this piece is done by Sam Greenwell, as opposed to Tim Miller who has done most of the other Bombshells. It still remains in the same style as the other Bombshells, so that’s certainly a plus if you’ve got the other statues to display her with.

Overall, however, the sculpt is rather simplistic. Certainly not bad, it’s still a very nice piece. However, it seems to lack the charisma and charm of the other Bombshells. Canary’s face, in particular, is very bored and expressionless. That’s perhaps one of the biggest flaws of this piece, as any statue’s face is usually your main focus. The most likely explanation is that the production pieces just failed to match up to the prototype, which is something we often see with DC Collectibles.

In the prototype, her face was a little more round and her mouth was a little open, making it look like she was whistling or singing. The microphone was also bent out of the way to show her face. However, in the final product, the microphone is covering her face a tiny bit from the front, which makes displaying and taking photos of her a little tricky from certain angles (although to be fair, when she’s displayed next to the other girls, it’s not really that noticeable and it's really only from front on, but I would like to of been able to see her face fully).

The hair is also quite bland and really lacks the kind of detail you’d like to expect in a piece like this.

Paint. 5.5
The paintwork is rather sloppy, especially for a statue retailing for $125. It’s not horrible, and if you weren’t looking for it, you probably wouldn’t notice much of it, but it’s still an issue. The paint on the edges between the hair and her blouse are the biggest perpetrators. There are many spots where the blouse’s colours bleed over the hairs, and vice versa.

The stockings, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, are real stockings, so you do get those thick black lines on the back of them. But I can’t imagine any reason you’d display her backwards, and it really does liven up the piece from the front, so I can’t be too critical about it.

Design. 7.5
Ant Lucia’s Bombshell designs are amazing. If you’ve seen the Bombshell variant covers from DC Comics in June, as well as the posters and prints, you’ll know what I’m talking about. The artwork for Canary is great, but the transition to 3D hasn’t been overly successful. The face is definitely the main issue with both the artwork and the final sculpt and I really wish it was handled a little better.

The outfit is a bit of an odd choice. I would have liked to see a black leather jacket or corset… something that alludes back to her original costume a bit more.

I must say though, the little tattoo on her forearm of a heart with “Oliver” written over it is adorable.

Production and Build Quality. 7.0
The piece is attached to the base, so there’s no need to worry about her moving around the pegs or anything like that. The statue is also very stable, which makes holding and moving her easy.

The base, and more importantly, the nameplate, seems to be safe in the Styrofoam box, which is great considering the issues with the Supergirl and Wonder Woman nameplates being broken during shipping. Hopefully you won’t have to worry about broken nameplates this time around. Other than that, there’s nothing spectacular about the quality of the piece.

Overall. 6.5
The overall impression of this piece is that it just looks a little cheap. The bored look of her face and the finishing touch of a rather average paint job make this perhaps the low point of the DC Bombshells.

Now let me get this out now, I do not regret buying the piece. I do believe she is a nice piece, but when looking at her critically, I can’t overlook the flaws, especially considering the price of the piece.

Here’s where the truth spills: I bought Canary as a companion piece for the upcoming Zatanna statue. I was very close to passing on Canary after having seen some rather unimpressive on-hand photos, but having already pre-ordered Zatanna, and coincidentally seeing Canary for below retail at a convention (OZ Comic Con for all you Aussies!) I pulled the trigger.

Now the ultimate question: Would I recommend the piece?
Maybe.

I know that sounds like a dodgy answer, but let me explain:
There are some really good Canary’s out there. I think I got quite lucky in that she was in relatively good shape. But after looking through a lot of other people’s photos of her (both on this forum and on Instagram, etc.) there are some pretty dodgy ones out there. So I can’t recommend you play the lottery game and hope you get a good version, because the final products just seem far too varied for this piece, which is really disappointing. My only advice is to try and find a piece that’s on display at a LCS or something so you can see what you’re getting: be sure to be on the look out for hair cracks, distorted facial features and awkwardly bent microphones, which seem to be common problems.

So I’ll take it you. What do you guys think of this piece? Have you got your own yet, or are you planning on getting one? If not, why? (assuming you collect the Bombshells, anyway)

Hope you guys have enjoyed my review, here’s another sneak peak to my next review of a slightly older piece that I just received today:

Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
z928328
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I bought this statue at the Dubai book store. I have no idea who Black Canary was. The store keeper who looks after the Toys section said to me it's part of DC comic character. I bought it right away as I can see the potential of the statue. It looks very nice next to my Bowen 1/6 Ms marvel Warbird statue & DC Collectable Bat Girl.
z928328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I love the concept of this piece. It is definitely gorgeous. Too bad that the QC didn't allow for this beauty to reach its full potential. Great review!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote