The Herculoids

Rogue one 9/10
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:54 AM   #21812
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 9/10

Rogue One succeeds in many of the ways I felt The Force Awakens fell short. It's a rousing adventure that pays homage in all the right ways but never feels like it's copying it's predecessors or playing it safe. For a film that is so close to Epsiode IV in the timeline there is an amazing amount of world building and originality in the locals and vehicles. The cinematography is beautiful, the locations immersive and the diverse group of characters are all interesting. I was one those that didn't necessarily think the inclusion of Vader was necessary, that he might detract from the originality of this narrative. Boy was I wrong. His screen time is very limited but impactful which suits the character perfectly. His final scene was not only my favorite of the film but one of my favorites in the entire saga. I was in a complete geek coma watching it. Overall I think fans will be pleased at how well this connects to A New Hope and expands many of the ideas in a very satisfying way.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:30 AM   #21813
abarron
Batman

Rogue 1 9/10

Got to be up there with the best Star Wars movies
Very close to making me forget the prequel trilogy
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #21814
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 9/10

Rogue One succeeds in many of the ways I felt The Force Awakens fell short. It's a rousing adventure that pays homage in all the right ways but never feels like it's copying it's predecessors or playing it safe. For a film that is so close to Epsiode IV in the timeline there is an amazing amount of world building and originality in the locals and vehicles. The cinematography is beautiful, the locations immersive and the diverse group of characters are all interesting. I was one those that didn't necessarily think the inclusion of Vader was necessary, that he might detract from the originality of this narrative. Boy was I wrong. His screen time is very limited but impactful which suits the character perfectly. His final scene was not only my favorite of the film but one of my favorites in the entire saga. I was in a complete geek coma watching it. Overall I think fans will be pleased at how well this connects to A New Hope and expands many of the ideas in a very satisfying way.
OMG is it time for my Saturday showing yet?! This is what I hoped for.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #21815
adee
Green Arrow

Rouge One : 6/10

I thought is was good but not great.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #21816
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Rouge One - 9.5/10

Outstanding!!!!

FYI- I think TFA is a shameless knock off of a much better movie. Which is my way of saying I didn't like it. To me Rouge One gets things back on track in a big way.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:05 AM   #21817
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Star Wars Rogue One 10/10

The best starwars movie ever made. That's how good it was. Shame we will never see any of these characters again...
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #21818
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Pretty much a copy and paste of a previous post.
9/10

Loved this flick.

IMO, better than all prequels, Jedi, and edged out Awakens. Empire is still my number one and I now see Rogue One and A New Hope as one long Lord of the Rings length movie.
Yeah I have some nit picks, but what a great flick.
testsubject25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:11 AM   #21819
Luminous
Cyclops

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 7.5/10

Let me start off by saying this film looked and sounded phenomenal. The creators did a great job of using iconic ships and designs in new and exciting ways. Visually the film felt right at home with the style of the original trilogy with the added benefit of a gargantuan budget and modern technology. I am sure all Star Wars fans had goosebumbs during the climactic third act. Another thing the film got right was the story itself. They did a great job of connecting this movie to the original films and made sure what transpired here made sense (even managed to tie up a couple of loose ends). What I was impressed with about the story was that it managed to keep me emotionally invested despite me knowing how the movie would essentially end.

Given all of that praise I still found myself questioning a lot of the film's direction. First I felt there were a few too many winks and nods to the original films. I see some people enjoyed these moments, but to me they felt unnecessary and out of place. This is a prequel to the first Star Wars film yet there are multiple times where the creators felt they needed to remind you that you were watching a Star Wars movie. Not only does that not make sense from a chronological perspective but is the setting and all of it's iconic imagery not already enough to remind you of where and when we are? All those moments did was take me out of the experience. Instead of being immersed in the narrative throughout the film there are multiple times where the movie essentially pauses to remind me "Hey look, remember this? It was in the original Star Wars film! Did you know that?!". I'm fine with the easter eggs. Those were fun and subtle. But the obvious and loud call backs hurt the film IMO because they added nothing to the story or any sort running theme and were simply disruptive.

Another problem was the film's pacing. It took this movie a long time to gather steam. It wasn't just that it was a slow burn, but some of the editing early on was a little jarring. First we're on this planet, 2 minutes later we're on another that's called this, but before you get too comfortable 10 seconds later we're somewhere else that has another name, and then again and again. That said this aspect of the movie did improve in the second half of the film.

The biggest problem for me though was the film's tone. While I appreciate the severity of the situation the characters find themselves in, I do feel the overall dark tone of the movie made it feel less like a Star Wars film. I know some might point out that this wasn't technically a saga film (not included as an episode etc. etc.) and the darker tone was intentional, but this is still a Star Wars film. While these movies vary in quality quite drastically, the core theme still lies in adventure. Rogue One felt more like a war movie than it did an adventure film. Again, I realize that was more than likely the goal but I think it was perhaps the wrong call given the movie's direct link to A New Hope and the saga overall. I can see a shift in tone for other standalone Star Wars films, but not for ones that directly link to the main saga. I see people criticize the "kiddie" parts of past Star Wars films, but I guarantee that the majority of us first watched these films as "kiddies". I'm a little disappointed to see a Star Wars film that is a little less accessible to a younger audience given the darker tone.

I know I have my complaints but I really did enjoy a lot of what the movie had to offer. Unfortunately there were a few too many questionable calls that disrupted my experience.

Last edited by Luminous; 12-17-2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Reworded some things in case they are being interpreted as spoilers.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:42 AM   #21820
Vracula
Jedi Order

Oh my ,cant wait to see SW
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote