Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-04-2022, 01:54 PM   #111
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
The way her body is arched, with her legs behind her, it does look like she's going up.

If I were to buy this, I know the cut-off webbing wouldn't bother me in the slightest anyway. I can easily frame the statue mentally and picture the rest of it in my imagination.

Yeah, doesn't bother me either.

I love Peedi's idea, tho ...gotta say. But that idea would be better if she was higher above the ground.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:09 PM   #112
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
Even though I love this statue as is, Peedi does make a good point.
Same, I?m 100% buying this as is based on what I see. The base is a bit weird and the cut off web line is a bit off putting but overall I really like this.

I?m also ready for Silk and a new Spider-Woman.

I?m getting the Queen Studios Spider-Trio as well so double Gwen for me (although proper 1/4 scale is debatable with the QS piece, but that?s a whole different issue).
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #113
Augen
Green Arrow

D'Oh! Yes, Silk PF would match great, good thinking!
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #114
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
Umm ...if she is by a light post, then wouldn't that mean she is at the bottom of her pendulum swing? Or just past the bottom?

She is not at the top of her swing where she has momentum going upward to let go of her web. If she's letting go now while taking a selfie, she would splat onto the pavement. Right?
Quote:
Even worse then. The illusion shows a bottom view angle just by the look/angle of the light post. So that means, per the illusion, she's lower than one would expect.
This forced perspective is all over the place. The blue buildings, grey buildings and traffic light all look like they?re on different planes.

But assuming the traffic light is still supposed to be a normal size

She?s at least not near the traffic light, but they had to attach her to something.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #115
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Same, I?m 100% buying this as is based on what I see. The base is a bit weird and the cut off web line is a bit off putting but overall I really like this.

I?m also ready for Silk and a new Spider-Woman.

I?m getting the Queen Studios Spider-Trio as well so double Gwen for me (although proper 1/4 scale is debatable with the QS piece, but that?s a whole different issue).
My goodness, a Silk PF would be outstanding to put with this Gwen.

Btw - do you own the XM Spidey/Mary Jane statue? Just curious how that one looks in person given that the base is similar in design to Gwen?s.
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:21 PM   #116
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
My goodness, a Silk PF would be outstanding to put with this Gwen.

Btw - do you own the XM Spidey/Mary Jane statue? Just curious how that one looks in person given that the base is similar in design to Gwen?s.
I don?t. I?d like to see it in person as well.

And random thought, the colors on this Gwen base give me the feeling it?s night.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:15 AM   #117
neo225
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Umm ...if she is by a light post, then wouldn't that mean she is at the bottom of her pendulum swing? Or just past the bottom?

She is not at the top of her swing where she has momentum going upward to let go of her web. If she's letting go now while taking a selfie, she would splat onto the pavement. Right?
That's how I see it as well. She swung / is swinging down and will be heading back up.
neo225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:46 AM   #118
dafadcariad
Blue Falcon

The cityscape base ruins it for me. Personally I can rarely get past bases of pieces like these as they tend to pull my attention away from the figure themselves, usually displaying far more like a sloppy diorama than a centrepiece for the character being displayed. And like Peedi pointed out, the forced perspective in this piece comes across as an absolute mess that keeps my attention far longer than SpiderGwen herself.

Then again, I'm also just a bit irked at the choice for this style in the first place. I get it for Spidey, DD or other characters on their umpteenth iteration and I absolutely applaud trying something different with dynamic and atypical bases like this buuuuut for a characters FIRST premium format figure?... it feels like a bit of a tonedeaf move to make something so needlessly sloppy and busy.

This isn't an awful piece by any means as I don't mind Gwen's sculpt and the lightpost by itself would be a perfectly fine display however for a character's debut SS 1:4 scale this one feels like a letdown.
dafadcariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:18 AM   #119
actionjackson83
Midnighter

just hang a black cloth over it done.
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:34 AM   #120
Augen
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson83 View Post
just hang a black cloth over it done.