Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #121
RadAsGhoul
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafadcariad View Post
As Josh stated your perspective seems a bit short-sighted. For years there have been numerous versions and variations of Spider-Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, etc and it sure as hell seems that the largest public outcries have been when those variations have deviated race and gender. This truly baffles me since these new variations on popular characters have only worked to increase the fanbase of that character and reach out to demographics that quite frankly haven't had a Thor or a Spider-man to aspire to as a child.

Also, the recommendation to leave these characters alone and instead create new characters isn't always a viable option since these franchises have a built-in fanbase that allows for characters like Jane Foster and Kamala Khan to reach an overwhelmingly larger audience that they would not have as a new property. Again, it just baffles me that anyone who enjoys comics would be against something that has introduced new readers to the world of comics and an increase in revenue which allows for more of those new characters you're supposedly clamoring for.
So are you saying all the people of colour can't praise 'white' jesus, because he ain't black/hispanic?

Plenty of fans, no matter what skin color love the comic book characters for who they are.

As Tbolt said, the problem with female Thor is simple. Thor is...just Thor. This is Jane. Or Thorjane. Or Jane the Thor? Shethor!

Gawd, I really love the fact that at least all the European comics that I know and love aren't following the US comic industry craze...

For whoever is looking forward to the statue - enjoy, not everyone has to, so no harm, no foul!
RadAsGhoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:13 PM   #122
qz33
Doctor Doom

There are lots of characters that would be far better sellers as a statue than this Jane Foster Thor, but instead we get Sideshow using one of it's "slots" for this one. It's a lament of the missed opportunity.

It shouldn't be baffling that this social pandering is just to pad a corporation's pockets.
For those that can't see that then I guess ignorance is bliss.
I'll discuss my disdain for this practice anytime I see it as relevant.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #123
RadAsGhoul
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
There are lots of characters that would be far better sellers as a statue than this Jane Foster Thor, but instead we get Sideshow using one of it's "slots" for this one. It's a lament of the missed opportunity.

It shouldn't be baffling that this social pandering is just to pad a corporations pockets.
Well said!
RadAsGhoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #124
danteipp
Hellboy

I am a big fan of Thor and most mythologies in general - Norse, Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc. I ate up those stories as a kid in anthology form, along with Edgar Allan Poe and some Sherlock Holmes tales.

When I first started really working and making some spending money out of college (lucky for me most comics were in a funk then, which included most silver and bronze age), I went and started buying every back issue in the run from Journey Into Mystery until the present Thor series that I didn't have and could find. It was the first complete run of comics I ever assembled.

This is not necessarily a statue I have an overwhelming "need" for. Honestly, I would definitely prefer a 1/4 comic version Loki first, followed by a Beta Ray Bill second then maybe a comic Destroyer or another villain. And, of course, other characters like Magneto, Juggernaut, Flash, Nightwing, more in the GL line, etc. are definitely on my list.

That said, it looks like a cool statue. I don't collect the CotD but I have been tempted by Shard for quite some time (I really like the armor work and can't wait for my Skeletor to arrive since that has some cool details) and this might be a good compromise. Provided the price isn't too crazy. Hint, hint Sideshow.

With respect to an EX, there are a few possibilities that I can think of offhand.

First, I think an unmasked Jane Foster head would work. I mean the big mystery was/has been who is under the helmet after all and the cover to Thor #8 shows her taking off the helmet and unmasking.

Another idea is to add either a splash of pink or a Pink Ribbon for breast cancer awareness somewhere on the statue since it is an indelible theme for the character and Jane's personal battle in her mortal guise. I guess it all depends on the rest of the statue and if that would fit.

Another idea is to add the staff of Freyja, the All-Mother, which was the scepter of Asgard and symbol of its rule under her leadership, to the base or another important Norse artifact. I like the scepter since Freyja is an ally to Jane/Thor and Freyja used it to slay Jormungandr, the World Serpent, in the Loki - Agent of Asgard series, which is no small feat. It cost Freyja her "life" (they always come back in comics) but it was a b@d @ss moment as she took down a tremendous foe.

Well, that is my $0.02.
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #125
CBro
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post

It shouldn't be baffling that this social pandering is just to pad a corporation's pockets.
I'll discuss my disdain for this practice anytime I see it as relevant.

There are a lot of would be better sellers but this is the best possibly the best time to make a Jane Thor. She's popular now and hasn't been popular for long. So who knows how long that's going to last. So strike while the iron is hot so to speak.

While those other better sellers you speak of will sell well for a much longer time
CBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #126
dafadcariad
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
With respect to an EX, there are a few possibilities that I can think of offhand.

First, I think an unmasked Jane Foster head would work. I mean the big mystery was/has been who is under the helmet after all and the cover to Thor #8 shows her taking off the helmet and unmasking.

Another idea is to add either a splash of pink or a Pink Ribbon for breast cancer awareness somewhere on the statue since it is an indelible theme for the character and Jane's personal battle in her mortal guise. I guess it all depends on the rest of the statue and if that would fit.

Another idea is to add the staff of Freyja, the All-Mother, which was the scepter of Asgard and symbol of its rule under her leadership, to the base or another important Norse artifact. I like the scepter since Freyja is an ally to Jane/Thor and Freyja used it to slay Jormungandr, the World Serpent, in the Loki - Agent of Asgard series, which is no small feat. It cost Freyja her "life" (they always come back in comics) but it was a b@d @ss moment as she took down a tremendous foe.

Well, that is my $0.02.

Reading that post was much needed. Seriously, it's great to once again see a post in this thread that's both informative and constructive. Ace suggestions too
dafadcariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #127
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I know we probably won't get this much for the EX, but along with the switch out head, I would love a switch out hand where she's holding the helmet.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #128
Demona
Martian Manhunter

It's kinda funny that lots of the time we get on SS case about redoing the same character 5 times, but when they actually go outside of their safe zone/non-big name character -- we still get on their case.

I'm guilty of that at times (not in the case of this character), but I think this is going to be a beautiful piece and it's a character with a great comic story. I mean, come on people, pick up the trades off Amazon or your LCBS

In the trades, I haven't seen her with her helmet off either, but that's not hard to imagine. We have seen Jane's face through-out the years, I could see the sculptor working from that. IMO it's the best COH option since she never uses another weapon.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #129
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcasalone View Post
Magneto being Jewish actually plays a big factor into his character because Magneto tragically becomes the person he despised the most, Hitler. Magneto believes that Mutants are superior to their fellow man and should be the ones to rule, just like Hitler did when it came to the people of the Jewish faith (and gays, handicapped, gypsies,etc)/(mind you there is much more to this but I am adhering to brevity). It is what makes Magneto (and the Red Hulk, to a lesser extent) such a tragically beautiful character.
I see in no way ms marvel being muslim having even a modicum of development as magneto, especially given the current events of the world, in particular europe. Magneto being jewish was character building based on history to give his character motivation. Ms marvel is muslim and marketed as such because well....political bush*t.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #130
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
I see in no way ms marvel being muslim having even a modicum of development as magneto, especially given the current events of the world, in particular europe. Magneto being jewish was character building based on history to give his character motivation. Ms marvel is muslim and marketed as such because well....political bush*t.
Have you even read the book? Ms. Marvel's religion hardly comes into play in the actual comic.

The series is about a teenager in high school who juggles being a teenager, being a good friend, love interest, and being a superhero.

SOUNDS A LOT LIKE SPIDERMAN.

The fact that she is Pakistani and a Muslim hardly comes into play. It's not like she takes prayer breaks in the middle of a fight nor does she bash people in the head with a Quran.

Try putting her visual differences aside. It's a ----ing great book, great story, and a great character.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote