Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #21
Dark-Flux
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Arnt comic sales higher now than they were in the late 90s?
Dark-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #22
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

My weekly comics haul is a joke compared to what it used to be. Only Uncanny Avengers, All-New X-Men, Daredevil, Thor God Of Thunder and Batman are my mainstays.

That I've given up on Captain America, Superman, JLA, Hulk, the core Avengers books and the rest of my stable of comics just bums me out....

Last edited by wktf; 07-12-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Forgot about Thor. Now added.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #23
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
Arnt comic sales higher now than they were in the late 90s?
They are up because of books like The Walking Dead but DC and Marvel's numbers are faltering if I am to believe my LCS staff.

Last edited by Matches Malone; 07-14-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #24
Dark-Flux

So?
Point is, the industry is doing better than it has been for years.
It doesnt matter which books are selling.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Yeah it's funny that comic sales are up overall. It seems like they get more each year. It will never be to the level of the old days though, but books are not .12 either. Part of what skews the number is the fact that books are so expensive today. They are selling less copies by far but maintaining a steady stream of income because they are 2.99-3.99. I think what us long time fans are talking about is the quality. I feel for $3-4 I should be getting a helluva comic and in most cases it's either average or complete dog----. So while the long time fan wants to buy and has the desire to buy the end result is that most of the product has fallen below standards. You can see this by the amount of Image, IDW and other smaller companies product that is released that is good, or different or both. We don't always need superheroes to be entertained we just want to be entertained. It's like still buying the Avengers books today because I have them all and fearing stopping would interupt my run. Even though I know my run was interrupted in the 90's and we are now on volume # 5 so why should I care. I do care and that is the problem
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #26
Dark-Flux

I think you just have to pick and choose your books.
Dont buy a book out of habit. If youre not enjoying it then drop it and buy something better.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #27
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I listed a handful of Marvel #1's the other day, mostly a few $10-$20 bronzes with an IM #1 and DD #1 in the lot too. Listed at $800 and it sold maybe 30 minutes later. Should've put it higher in retrospect. Right books sell real fast nowadays.

The recent influx of "selling off" funds is inspirational. A lot easier to take the time to list stuff (actually got it down to about 3 minutes on my phone per listing) when there's a positive ending. Hope you guys are having as much luck as me. Good times.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #28
Y3E
Gen 13

Good for you Teague. I want to stop too but I've been collecting steady since the late 70s and have no will power

I'm sick of all these multiple titles for characters and groups. There should be 2 max. It is hard to keep track sometimes which story is in which book. Avengers anyone?
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote