Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Fannymac
I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

What's The Logic Behind All the 2nd & 3rd Printings....

....at Marvel?!?

Most of these books aren't selling that well to begin with....are they doing it to make it look like they're doing better than they really are???
Fannymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Low orders to begin with, I imagine. Cash grab afterwards. Stores generally buy only to fill reserves these days, and only keep very few extra ones on the stands. Alas, gone are the days of 50 cents books. My friend who owns a LCS rarely orders more than pre-ordered.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Huh? Books that go to second and third printings are literally because of a huge demand. Whether it's that Obama Spider-man story or Ms. Marvel #1 it's always because there's a ---- ton of people who want them.

Yeah at least in some cases it can be in regards to initial low orders. Heck like I said Ms. Marvel's first issue's sold like crazy and it's up to 4 printings supposedly.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Fannymac
I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotwilight View Post
Huh? Books that go to second and third printings are literally because of a huge demand. Whether it's that Obama Spider-man story or Ms. Marvel #1 it's always because there's a ---- ton of people who want them.

Yeah at least in some cases it can be in regards to initial low orders. Heck like I said Ms. Marvel's first issue's sold like crazy and it's up to 4 printings supposedly.
Ms. Marvel debuted in February with 50,000 copies (really, a so-so opening for a first issue)....by issue number 5 in June, it was down to 33,000 copies. That not a book that's setting the world on fire (And a lot of the new Marvel are doing even worse, with a lot of them already under 30,000.
Fannymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
ftrez
Nightwing

I'm with Pyrotwilight in asking "Huh?"

1. Marvel prints a book. Said book then sells through the entire print run and more demand for the book exists.

2. Retailers order more copies and Marvel does a 2nd printing.

3. Those books sell through too but still a demand exists.

4. See step 2 for how a 3rd printing comes about.

Are you suggesting that Marvel is printing comics which they throw in an incinerator in order to make it look like they're more successful then they really are? Isn't it the number of issues sold rather than number of issues printed that is the barometer of success?
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

The reality is that stores don't really speculate anymore. Whether it is a #1, "death of.." issue, or crossover event, stores won't take the risk and buy too many extra copies. They won't order many second printings either. Fans don't test out new books much anymore.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
The reality is that stores don't really speculate anymore. Whether it is a #1, "death of.." issue, or crossover event, stores won't take the risk and buy too many extra copies. They won't order many second printings either. Fans don't test out new books much anymore.
Well someone is selling them and people are buying them. Otherwise, why go through the trouble of having second and third printings?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Well someone is selling them and people are buying them. Otherwise, why go through the trouble of having second and third printings?

Because when stores get (or ask for) their second printings, they only get a few. Second printings doesn't mean 100,000 books. It could be only 1000 in total for everyone. Those could sell out quick if those were made to order or based on the idea that they only need a small amount more. Marvel won't overprint either otherwise they're left with the losses. If they knew in advance that they would sell out, they wouldn't bother with third printings. They would just make more second printings. Marvel doesn't guess anymore. They want sell outs, no available backorders. They're more than happy making fans wait a bit for the trade paperback.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Because when stores get (or ask for) their second printings, they only get a few. Second printings doesn't mean 100,000 books. It could be only 1000 in total for everyone. Those could sell out quick if those were made to order or based on the idea that they only need a small amount more. Marvel won't overprint either otherwise they're left with the losses. If they knew in advance that they would sell out, they wouldn't bother with third printings. They would just make more second printings. Marvel doesn't guess anymore. They want sell outs, no available backorders. They're more than happy making fans wait a bit for the trade paperback.
I guess that makes sense. I was thinking second or third printings would be nearly equally as large as the first print run.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote