Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches > Art Stories

Old 08-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Nameless Artist-Meeting Your Favorites and Be Dissapointed

Oy. Not going to make a big thing about it but I recently had an almost perfect commission go sour. Not even due to the art, not really, but due to the artist himself.

Long story long I got onto his commissions list (though I was actually contacted by the artists rep as I had earlier tried getting a commission as well and was added specially because I tried getting onto it another time).

I specified the character and a single detail on him/her. I didn't give any other direction since I wanted to see what he'll do with it. So I didn't say anything: no expression, pose etc... I also supplied a reference page specifically for that small detail and the rep happily accepted stating the reference will be given to the artist for the piece. While the characters general costume varies a bit in the reference the detail I specified was consistent on it.

So just a few days later as the artists is actually amazingly great and quick (I was the last on the commissions list too so it was done really quickly by all accounts) the piece is finished. However, strangely the one detail I noted for the artist to make sure he does was not done as I asked. But since it is just am minor detail and the piece was otherwise beautiful I stated my disappointment with the detail not being done but still payed stating I was still happy enough with the piece.

Now it got a little complicated as the rep and artist both began to reply to me (though largely the artist, and it was made clear who was who) through the same e-mail. With the rep simply stating the artist worked off the reference and then the artist going on to say that he was offended and that I should be happy that a professional artist was drawing for me.

Admittedly I was confused given how flexible artists I know are and given the minor-ness of the detail I went on to state that I really couldn't understand why he was offended.

With his reply essentially stating that the art is only done when he as an artist deems it to be and that it's an insult to ask for things to be customized in anyway, stating it'd be like comparing art to hot dogs.

In the end I couldn't really believe what I was hearing (well,reading) from someone who is indeed a professional comic book artist and decided that I wouldn't be happy with the piece after having to hear this from him and got a refund (or half so far with the other part being sent soon). And now I really do know what folks mean when they say meeting your heroes, even if this was only a digital meeting, can lead to disappointment. And of course the artist is now selling the piece as well for the same amount I would've paid. Kinda hoping no one ever buys it so that it can be a reminder to the artist on how he reacts to folks since I doubt I'd be the only one to have ever wanted something specific in a piece he's done.

Edit: It's been long enough I figure to keep you up in the air. If anyone truly does want to know still, the artist was Rags Morales. You can even see the piece he drew for me on CAF. Tomorrow Woman in this case (as almost always to me).
Old 08-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. However, all this to say that you are certainly not alone. Many of us have had similar experiences. Some artists seem to forget that as the hired talent, they do have an obligation to fulfill the request and comply with terms of the commissioner or at the very least, inform them of changes prior to having made them.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

The more you read about some of these artists the more one would be inclined to give them a wide berth. I would not be against a "good bad ugly" list of artists.

This artists attitude is all wrong. Does he deal with his commercial commissions in the same way. I cannot see him telling Marvel/DC where to go with their critiques.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Huh. Didn't tihnk this would be a "normal" thing. I've heard of many different issues but this was a surprise to me.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

that stinks. what was the detail you were asking for?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
ComputerFly
The Phantom

This is why I've never had a commission done by any artist, and only buy finished artwork. I'd rather spend 5 times an amount on something I truly love than receive something I wasn't thrilled with for much less.

If people stopped commissioning them, their attitudes would change so fast, lol.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
that stinks. what was the detail you were asking for?
Well I'm avoiding what it is just to not make it clear what character I had done, but it was a small piece of the characters costume/look that would've been drawn in some way whether I asked or not so I just specified it to get the version I liked the best.

So it's not like I was asking for anything extra here either.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #8
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

I guess I'll give this thread a bump.

Was looking forward to meeting a pretty famous artist at NYCC over the weekend in hopes of either getting a sketch or purchasing some of his finished pieces.

Made my way to his both where it was just me, the handler and the artist. I said hello and proceeded to look through his portfolio while he continued to doodle on a multi-character piece and the handler just browsed through their phone.

It was like I wasn't even there and they could care less if I was going to spend some serious money on one of his pieces.

So I left.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #9
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
I guess I'll give this thread a bump.

Was looking forward to meeting a pretty famous artist at NYCC over the weekend in hopes of either getting a sketch or purchasing some of his finished pieces.

Made my way to his both where it was just me, the handler and the artist. I said hello and proceeded to look through his portfolio while he continued to doodle on a multi-character piece and the handler just browsed through their phone.

It was like I wasn't even there and they could care less if I was going to spend some serious money on one of his pieces.

So I left.
Ah. Another variation of the "not as welcoming as one would hope". I find a lot of artists are like this at cons though, though this might've been a particularly bad case it sounds like if the Handler was like this too.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
MO42
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

who is the artist?