Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches > Art Stories

Old 04-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
statman
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
I think I paid 200 or 250 each this was year and a half ago it was set up so don't remember exactly, which is not a lot but to me its the principal of the whole thing. Since he's the artist and does not remember I don't get what I paid for.

never heard of a artist giving you back your money cause you did not like the piece.

I did not pick it up if I had I would have said something he was suppose to mail it to me like a dozen times over the last year never sent me any pics of it so this is what my bud picked up when he saw him at NYCC.
Sorry to hear that this did not go as you thought it would, Batfan.

So, I assume you don't have the emails to refer back to? That's a bummer! I think any time you are setting up a transaction like this, you need to keep a record of what was discussed.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
Sorry to hear that this did not go as you thought it would, Batfan.

So, I assume you don't have the emails to refer back to? That's a bummer! I think any time you are setting up a transaction like this, you need to keep a record of what was discussed.
he was paid cash at the Pittsburgh con by my best friend who was at the show. From now on any commission over 50 bucks I am gonna have them give a receipt.

Rags ignored most of the emails that both my best friend and I sent him he kept giving the excuse "working on it". he just happen to catch him at the NYCC and asked for my pieces.

over the years I have gotten around 600 commissions done and I would say this kinda thing has happened 5 times it really ticks me off.

To be honest I have had better dealings with no name artists doing commissions for 20 bucks than I have most named artists. they seem to appreciate you getting art from them than do the people who work daily in the industry.

you hand the artist your money and hope for the best. I am still chasing 2 other commissions that are 2 years old and one that over a year old UGHH
Old 04-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
Royd
Producer
Producer

I had to wait a long time (3 years) for one of my commissions but I wasn't shorted nor was I disappointed with the eventual result so my sympathies on not getting what you paid for.

Is it worth re-sending one of your earlier e-mails which shows reference to the second (Robin) piece and the money paid or are you just going to write it off?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Geez..another bummer story. I personally think the Batman he did is pretty damn cool. If it was inked by Bair, it'd probably look like most of his awesome published work. It's a total shame about the Robin screw job though. Sorry to hear that Lee. I hope you can get something worked out.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #15
The Batfan

I'm just pretty much hosed at this point, Just won't ever get anything else from him nor recommend him to people.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #16
daikins
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Batfan- sad to say that this would probably not have happened if you went through his rep.

Spencer. Yeah, I know how you feel about that.

Actually, I'd have a feeling that Spencer might be a bit ticked off that he was cut out of 2 commissions. You might have saved money by going straight to Rags, but you lost out on a middleman that might have helped back you up on the record keeping. Sometimes it seems to be a lesser of 2 evils thing...

Ouch. So sorry to hear about this. Rags was very busy at the con, and seems to have a bit of a "large" personality at these shows ("working the crowd" is an understatement). Always wonder if that's a good place to give artists commission money...
Old 04-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
goingbroke223
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

i feel for you
i emailed rags a few years back and lined up 2 commissions. he was nice, it took alittle while and i only went with the 9 X 10. but in the end it was good.

as for chasing commissions buzz screwed me for 2 yrs...then finally sent my refund

eddy newell is going on 2 1/2 yrs and still owes me a refund or my artwhat really makes you mad is he will do comic cons all year and do commissions there an still couldnt do my commission or refund me!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #18
Lizard King
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbroke223 View Post
i feel for you
i emailed rags a few years back and lined up 2 commissions. he was nice, it took alittle while and i only went with the 9 X 10. but in the end it was good.

as for chasing commissions buzz screwed me for 2 yrs...then finally sent my refund

eddy newell is going on 2 1/2 yrs and still owes me a refund or my artwhat really makes you mad is he will do comic cons all year and do commissions there an still couldnt do my commission or refund me!!!
Just to get your feelings on this. How long do you usually let a commission go before checking in with the artist? I've got one outstanding which will be 2 years in Sept. They do alot of other works and go to alot of cons. I know they didn't forget about it since I've seen their commission list and the piece was on there. Is there an acceptable time frame to contact an artist about a commission? I paid just under $200, and owe the rest upon completion. Any helpful tips?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #19
The Batfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
Just to get your feelings on this. How long do you usually let a commission go before checking in with the artist? I've got one outstanding which will be 2 years in Sept. They do alot of other works and go to alot of cons. I know they didn't forget about it since I've seen their commission list and the piece was on there. Is there an acceptable time frame to contact an artist about a commission? I paid just under $200, and owe the rest upon completion. Any helpful tips?
depending on the artist and price of the commission, I BUG artists at times if I think its taking too long. for the most part 3 weeks and you should have some info. unless the artist tells you upfront its going to be a while. I usually ask a time frame. and once they go over the time frame ask them for an update if they have started on it ask for a peek something so that you know they at least started it. I say every few weeks at least check in and ask for an update. I mean if its a pencil/inked piece why does it take them 6 months to do it SHEESHH. If your on a waiting list let me know how many people are ahead of me etc etc.

I just got thru dealing with an artist who after 2 years or runaround finally admitted they had never done anything past the prelim sketch they showed me 2 weeks after the project started. then gave me a world of personal excuses and etc. He rushed finished the piece in a few days. I saw it was not thrilled with it OHHH you deleted all the specific instructions I had given you on the piece. UGHHH Rather than give him all the what for he deserved I just said fine sent it to me anyways. Actually as I write this post I just got an email from him saying its finally on its way to me(after he said it was being mailed out 2 weeks ago)

IF you want a AWESOME piece from a GREAT artist who is dead on the ball. Watch for the next time chris stevens aka snappahead opens his list. To be honest he was a PLEASURE to deal with.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
Lizard King
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
depending on the artist and price of the commission, I BUG artists at times if I think its taking too long. for the most part 3 weeks and you should have some info. unless the artist tells you upfront its going to be a while. I usually ask a time frame. and once they go over the time frame ask them for an update if they have started on it ask for a peek something so that you know they at least started it. I say every few weeks at least check in and ask for an update. I mean if its a pencil/inked piece why does it take them 6 months to do it SHEESHH. If your on a waiting list let me know how many people are ahead of me etc etc.

I just got thru dealing with an artist who after 2 years or runaround finally admitted they had never done anything past the prelim sketch they showed me 2 weeks after the project started. then gave me a world of personal excuses and etc. He rushed finished the piece in a few days. I saw it was not thrilled with it OHHH you deleted all the specific instructions I had given you on the piece. UGHHH Rather than give him all the what for he deserved I just said fine sent it to me anyways. Actually as I write this post I just got an email from him saying its finally on its way to me(after he said it was being mailed out 2 weeks ago)

IF you want a AWESOME piece from a GREAT artist who is dead on the ball. Watch for the next time chris stevens aka snappahead opens his list. To be honest he was a PLEASURE to deal with.
Thanks BF. The artist did say that it wouldn't be started until '08, and I have only heard good things about him so I'm not really concerned. I guess I'd just like to know the where I'm at in the process without seeming pushy. All my other commissions have been more short term. As for Chris Stevens, I love his work, and have seriously considered getting a piece done by him. Unfortunately, his commission list closed once before I could get to him, and the time I could have made it, didn't have the cash. Eventually I'll get the timing right. Thanks again!