Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 11-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer! View Post
It's all about getting the right visual balance, for me.

This means not having any shelf too crowded, having each piece on a given shelf corresponding along a particular matching theme (such as character, license, or 'universe' based), arranging the statues in a way that feels 'balanced' and is pleasing to the eye, taking into account that some pieces look better displayed higher, some lower, and some at eye level, and accommodating that as much as is practical and possible. And finally, making sure each piece I buy is actually worthy of it's shelf space, and fits in within the direction and primary focus of my collection.

Limiting to certain manufacturers and set scales are pretty low on my list of priorities, when all is said and done. I've always been more a 'big picture' kind of collector, personally.

At the end of the day you just have to remember, this is your collection, it's not about trying to impress anybody else with, so find what's right for you, and what brings you the most enjoyment, and you'll rarely go wrong.
Very wise advise.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
Khufu
Mephisto

I think there is one rule everyone should follow - do whatever the hell you want. Its your collection!

A few rules I try to follow for myself:
  • I try to group stuff by theme. So, all X-men together - appropriate villains with heroes, etc...
  • I also try not to mix scales. So, I try to keep my 1/4 away from my 1/5 stuff. The exception is a larger than life character - say the Galactus Maquette from SSC with Bowen stuff would be fine IMO.
  • Last rule - don't cram stuff together. Mostly to avoid a cluttered look but also to avoid potential damage.

In the end though you really can't go wrong if you like how you are displaying your stuff.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #13
tonytiger
The X-Men

Talking Wow!you guys all give Great Advise!

Sledge hammer..At the end of the day you just have to remember, this is your collection, it's not about trying to impress anybody else with, so find what's right for you, and what brings you the most enjoyment, and you'll rarely go wrong.That can be hard to do as we all like to show off a little be it our jobs, homes, cars ect..But I agree on the This is your collection.
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
Iacon13
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I prefer grouping based on relationship. Having said that I rarely do. Space is at a premium so whatever fits. The exception is I do not mix universes. DC and Marvel stay separated. No Team Ups.
Iacon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Python
Omega Red

I mix a whole range of licenses and even scales, doesn't matter in the slightest to me.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #16
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

As log as you like the look of your display, why does it matter? I have one display setup with a Bowen, Kotobukiya, and Gentle Giant statue all grouped together.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
protector2814
Phoenix

I mix by theme. I don't care who the company is. I'm the one who hangs out in my hobby room/office ... not to many other nerds in the ole' casa.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #18
markecho
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I agree as long as they look good together, might as well.
My only pet peeve is I like them in scale though...that's just me. I don't want to see a 6" Hulk next to a 12" Wolverine.

I've posted this before (maybe not with Cyc) but here is Bowen with Koto

markecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #19
KevinK
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

This is great feedback guys. As a new collector who just started this month, I've certainly given thought to this topic. The first couple of pieces I bought were simply because I liked the way they looked, without any other consideration. As I picked up a couple more, I soon realized that the matter of scale, company, source material, space, complimentary poses, and so on, all started to influence my buying decisions. The feedback here has certainly given me more to think about.
I think the only 'mixing' that I don't like is when it comes to scale. I agree with some of you in that it isn't very appealing, unless it is of a single character. The other way I can see it possibly working is if the inconsistency in scale of one statue works to fit in with the scale of another (ex. 1/7 with 1/6).
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:55 PM   #20
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by markecho View Post
I agree as long as they look good together, might as well.
My only pet peeve is I like them in scale though...that's just me. I don't want to see a 6" Hulk next to a 12" Wolverine.

I've posted this before (maybe not with Cyc) but here is Bowen with Koto

Love your set up
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote