Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 01-24-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

B_C's Review of Cyclops & Colossus vs Sentinal

After releasing a very solid introductory piece for the VS line with the Wolverine vs Sabertooth diorama, SS decided to continue the mutant theme with its next release. Thus, at SDCC, the jaw-dropping sneak peeks of the Cyclops/Colossus vs Sentinal piece were shown to the public. While the statue was received with enthusiastic response, how does this statue measure up on its final release? Does it measure up to is hefty price tag? Please note, this review only covers the regular edition. It is not a review for the exclusive release, with flashing lights.

The Sculpt
In order to properly and fairly review this sculpt, it should be scene as both one piece and also three seperate pieces.

Cyclops
Attired in his modern, astonishing x-men outfit (based on John Cassidy's art), Scott Summers is an impressive sculpt. Ready for action, Cyclops is in a crouched position, aiming high above at some Sentinal's head. The sculpt, while appearing short due to his position, is definatley in scale with the Colossus. However, admittingly, your opionion on the statue may depend on how much of a fan you are of the Astonishing X-men outfit. Also of possible concern, Scott sports a very muscular physique, definately not the "Slim" Summers you may remember. Also, the only detraction to me, Scott's teeth are not sculpted very well, with noticable gaps between every tooth, top and bottom. Unfortanetly it is noticeable and a bit distracting. However, other than that, this is a very nice sculpt of the X-men leader.

Colossus
While Scott is a great supporting part of the sculpt, it really is all about Colossus. Hoisting a gigantic sentinal head over his body, Colossus exudes both power and determination. While I'll review the damaged Sentinal later, let me suffice to say the Colossus statue on its own is very nice. Again, the outfit is modeled more after his current costume, so it may not be that familair to you. The pose itself is inspired, and the sculpt insanely musculed. One touch that is also noticeable is the presence of "love handles" on Colossus. This adds a touch of realism to the sculpt some may not want. The only real complaint that can be said, and one that has been noticed, is the strange way his legs are straddling the base. To be honest, it does not look that natural or normal of a stance, even for someone lifting a few hundred pounds ove his head. However, this is one thing that can also be overlooked.

Sentinal bust, hand
While there are gripes with Cyclops and Colossus, nothing negative can be said about the base or the Sentinal Bust. The battle damaged Sentinal bust is extremely massive, highlighting Colossus strength. The face on the bust is robotic, cold, and even creepy. The detail of the battle damage really sets it off. Its perfect on the right side, but severaly damaged on the left. The cables dangling from it gives another touch of realism to the piece. The hand on the base is also a great touch. The highlight of that is broken laser beam emmiter on the palm of the hand.

Combined
While the individuals pieces are nice, it definately improves when combined as the set. The savagery, danger, and heroism of the situation is perfectly captured in the piece. Each piece pefectly compliments each other, enhancing each sculpt's positive and detracting from their negative points. The only problem you may have with the sculpt is deciding which way to display it in order to give both Peter and Scott their due. You may find yourself moving it around to get it just right.

The Paint Job
This piece has no obvious paint flaws to talk about . My piece has a perfectly painted Cyclops and a mostly well-painted Colossus. The Sentinal head and hand are also flawlessly painted. However, points must be deducted for the Sentinal parts strewn about the base. They are all in the same bronzish and black color, making them blend in to easily with the rocky base.

Value
For $300.00 msrp, this piece better produce the goods. Thankfully, this is as eye-catching and jaw dropping as it high price tag should merit. There is no way a gigantic figure lifting an even bigger robot head could be ignored on your shelf space. Also, you are getting two inscale pieces and a huge in-scale bust for that amount. Considering most statues are going for at least $150.00 now adays, you can view this as a bargain! However, it is also a huge piece, and those with space concerns may want to consider this one carefully.

Conclusion
Any fan of the Astonishing X-men should at least check out this piece. With two in-scale statues and a gigantic in scale bust, it more than meets the value. However, it is not a perfect piece, as there are noticeable sculpting issues that may bother some. But, since it is so eye-catching and unique compared to other stuff on the market, I don't see a reason to give this statue anything less than four out of five stars. It may not be the perfect statue many of us may have hoped for, but it simply is as awesome a statue as a versus piece should be.

bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Great review Mike. The best so far to date. Regarding the teeth, i suspect the paint application to the teeth could solve this problem.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to nitpick, but don't you mean you see no reason NOT to give it four out of five stars? Meaning, with the double negative, you WOULD give it four out of five stars?
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

godd review mike, and the comparason picks are very helpful too, i may pick this up when i get a chance.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Great review Mike! I'm psyched for my exclusive!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
I'm sorry, I really don't mean to nitpick, but don't you mean you see no reason NOT to give it four out of five stars? Meaning, with the double negative, you WOULD give it four out of five stars?
Yeah, I rephrased it. Thanks for being my proof-reader, i need it sometimes.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Cool point about the love-handles, that's a neat touch. Really not a piece I would ever go for (even if I went for dioramas, the poses are a bit out-there for me), but I can appreciate the artistry involved. Your review is a fitting testament to that.

Y'know, if I didn't get all my stuff three months after everyone else, I might write one of these things one day! Maybe I can review something off Forbidden Planet's shelf...
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
Cool point about the love-handles, that's a neat touch. Really not a piece I would ever go for (even if I went for dioramas, the poses are a bit out-there for me), but I can appreciate the artistry involved. Your review is a fitting testament to that.

Y'know, if I didn't get all my stuff three months after everyone else, I might write one of these things one day! Maybe I can review something off Forbidden Planet's shelf...
Are you working on the next FP magazine?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
Are you working on the next FP magazine?
I have something in the forthcoming issue (out soon, I'm told), then hopefully the one after that too. But the FP in London that I check new statues in is owned by a different company, confusingly!
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #10
bat_collector
Galactus

Updated withe newer pics taken at different angles. Thanks for the idea, carillj.