Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
pdashnut12
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

New to Statue and Bust Collecting...Whats your #1 tip?

A month ago I discovered the world of marvel statues and busts. I'M IN LOVE. I was just wondering what kind of tips veteran collectors could give to someone who would like to be a serious collector. I appreciate the time.
pdashnut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

do your research & know the values of the peices you're after
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

DON'T DO IT!

Welcome to the forum.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
cougartrace
I like !%&!%&!%&!%&

I'm not a veteran, but what you want to do is start buying the items that are on sale now from the likes of Bowen, HH, and Sideshow. That way you don't miss out.

Then, over time, you can make deals, ebay, etc to get the past pieces you missed out on.

I'm not too far from your position. I really would like to have a Bowen Chrome Silver Surfer, Bowern Red Phoenix, Sideshow Doom, but my chances are slim at moment due to the secondary market prices.
cougartrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Crom
Loki

Welcome!

I would suggest determining if you are a complete run collector or a buy what you like collector.

I personally buy what I like. There is something very cool about having a complete run, but you need to be ready to live with some purchases you might not be so high on.

Either way is cool, but a lot of people who started out as completists have changed their minds. It can be draining on the wallet and your passion.

Also, keep an open mind. There is great stuff coming out from a number of different places. I honestly believ this is one of the best times for collectors. The diversity and quality in the market is awesome right. (so are some of the prices )
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
HardHeroine
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdashnut12 View Post
A month ago I discovered the world of marvel statues and busts. I'M IN LOVE. I was just wondering what kind of tips veteran collectors could give to someone who would like to be a serious collector. I appreciate the time.
my tip would be: take the time (like one entire weekend ), and read through this forum very carefully - you will fetch pictures, values/prices, statue/bust info and you will have a great time! almost every piece you could imagine has its own thread here or is at least mentioned anywhere!
HardHeroine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Buy what you like! I wouldn't ever be a completist. Too costly.

Also, read various threads in this forum. It can save you a lot of trial, error and money than trying to find things out on your own. Not only with statues but with display ideas and such.

Welcome to the forum! This is an awesome place. I guess I may still be considered a newbie, but my reeling bank account and vanishing detolf space say I'm an experience pro
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
pdashnut12
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Thanks for the feedback, one more question. Is there a way when buying, to tell which statues will be worth more money over time?
pdashnut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdashnut12 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, one more question. Is there a way when buying, to tell which statues will be worth more money over time?
If there was we would all be rich. A low edition size of a highly sought after piece is usually a decent bet as far as a good investment goes. But the market is fickle.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

don't listen to anybody or any hype, buy what you like and what makes you happy, and if you have a question about collecting just ask, there is alot of people here that can provide very useful information about anything, doesn't matter how silly you think the question is
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote