Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 12-03-2022, 01:45 PM   #41
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
They represent the skills of all involved. A view into a world of what is possible when it comes to sculpt and paint.
I'm involved in several hobbies, and some of them involve modelling and painting (e.g Warhammer40k or Napoleonics) and people showcase their art all the time.

Here is where your statement comes in...and I agree.

But, somehow that just doesn't fit here. We can't be "inspired" by this video, because - unless you're going to a) set out to sculpt your own version of Kurt Cobain, or b) buy this piece and repaint it yourself - then "showing what is possible" - doesn't you any closure to getting that quality of work in your collection.

But anyway, it is what it is.....I guess I know the answer......I just wish it wasn't that way. Honesty and transparency always take a back seat when money is involved.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:01 PM   #42
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Please - and I mean this genuinely, can someone educate me on the point of these videos.

I don't understand if this is just A.Kim showcasing her talent, as a kind of self advertising. Or is this supposed to get me excited for the actual figure?

Because, unless P1 has this poor lady locked in a cell, painting every figure that goes to the end customer - as advertising for the actual figure, it's either stupidly pointless, or maliciously misleading.

If any newb to the hobby out there, sees this video, who would blame them for expecting that to be the final product? I mean, surely A.Kim or even P1 know that this might happen. And to be honest, even if you're a veteran collector - what's this video do, other than to rub your face in the fact that you're never going to get a piece of this quality level.......
Couldn't you say the same thing about proto photos?

To take the idea of full transparency to the extreme, a company would have to produce a production piece of a statue, and enlist an average factory painter to paint it.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:09 PM   #43
Straken-SWE
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post

To take the idea of full transparency to the extreme, a company would have to produce a production piece of a statue, and enlist an average factory painter to paint it.
Maybe even make sure that average factory painter doesn't have a good or bad day, but just an average day at work under very average work conditions?
Straken-SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:17 PM   #44
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken-SWE View Post
Maybe even make sure that average factory painter doesn't have a good or bad day, but just an average day at work under very average work conditions?
And then that production piece painted by the average factory painter having an average day would need to be photographed under average lighting conditions.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #45
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post

I believe this is the JND business model, and I think it works well.

Most companies solicit interest before they secure a slot in the Chinese factories, and this is why they use prototypes up front - to generate interest, but it's also all they have.

I have a suspicion that when JND show a product, they've already proved the concept and are certain what can be achieved by their manufacturing process - whether that's the bits in China or the bits in-house.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:40 PM   #46
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Or is this supposed to get me excited for the actual figure?
Yup - they want to sell statues.

Quote:
If any newb to the hobby out there, sees this video, who would blame them for expecting that to be the final product?
No one - they're newbs and do not know better.

Quote:
And to be honest, even if you're a veteran collector - what's this video do, other than to rub your face in the fact that you're never going to get a piece of this quality level.......
Veteran collectors do know better and adjust their expectations accordingly. And they get to see something, which is better than not seeing anything.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:47 PM   #47
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Veteran collectors do know better and adjust their expectations accordingly. And they get to see something, which is better than not seeing anything.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #48
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Great movie, that one - I watched it only a week ago on my new TV and I loved it.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote